BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an estate situation where the 33k mile bike was garaged without any prep and sat for eight years. Tank was full when I got it! Got a long list of service items to catch up as well as mods based on 20 years of experience by Kirk Johnson obtained through his excellent videos. Going through fuel system, brake system, all fluids, virtually all replaceable service items to create a decent baseline to start from. Naturally no maintenance records whatsoever... Have the Clymer manual and the BMW service book; have the tools; just need the time and hopefully the skills will come!

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't forget to replace all the brake fluid as this is critical to proper ABS operation. When I bought my 97 RT last year the dealer suggested new fuel lines, including the internal tank lines and fuel filter. Full gas tank is a good sign that someone cared when it was put away. You surely can't tell for sure, but it's aways a good idea to change the oil about five minutes before putting a bike up for the winter. Maybe the internal oil is close to a transparent amber. That would be a good sign, but change the oil anyway.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Lucky this is old enough to not have Servo ABS, any problems can be delt with. A great project, have fun. Will be a super tour bike.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Don't forget to replace all the brake fluid as this is critical to proper ABS operation. When I bought my 97 RT last year the dealer suggested new fuel lines, including the internal tank lines and fuel filter. Full gas tank is a good sign that someone cared when it was put away. You surely can't tell for sure, but it's aways a good idea to change the oil about five minutes before putting a bike up for the winter. Maybe the internal oil is close to a transparent amber. That would be a good sign, but change the oil anyway.
I bought a 2000 KLT from a friend who had his ride sitting in his garage for about the same length of time. I replaced all the hoses and engine plastic parts... sent out the fuel injectors for cleaning, replaced the throttle cables, brake lines, fuel lines, new fuel pump with metal quick disconnects, spark plugs and wires, all fluids and filters, tires, crankcase ventilation hoses, lubed shift linkages, rebuilt the steering damper, replaced brake pads, replaced windscreen, added a Corbin Smuggler box, which can be swapped out with a rear rack, and added numerous electrical upgrades, or "farkles," lights, GPS, front and rear cameras, and lot of USB ports, etc., and ongoing fun projects...
Good luck with your project bike!
I learned a tremendous amount from the bmwlt.com community, Kirk Johnson, the shop manual, and the Clymer manual. And, I am forever grateful for the shit eating grin I get every time I ride it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably not just the brake fluid but the brake lines with new stainless Spiegler lines as well. I'm anticipating all rubber lines - brakes, fuel etc. will need replacement. The oil was far from amber - more like steel gray, but the saving grace is that it sat in the sump and not throughout the internals so hopefully the acids and other bad stuff didn't do any damage while it sat. Given a very dead battery, no one tried to start it over the eight years being stored. The first thing I've done it replaced the oil and filter with fresh. Got a few other things to do even before I replace the battery, so I'm not tempted to turn it over to see if it will run on the old fuel. Plan is to drain the old fuel, run a concentrated fuel flush and then try fresh fuel. Anticipating also a new fuel pump and filter before I do anything after draining the tank. Probably metal fuel line quick disconnects as well, if those installed are the original plastics. I'm trying to figure out where to put a relocated fuel filter outside the tank and run a bypass inside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky this is old enough to not have Servo ABS, any problems can be delt with. A great project, have fun. Will be a super tour bike.
If you're on Long Island, in NY, I might take you up on that!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for your comments and sugggestions. Got a long list and working from safety, to avoiding damage, to preservation, to enhanced performance and eventually to cosmetics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts