BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my trip to Vermont last weekend my bike started running a rich fuel mixture. It was down on power more noticeably after 3000rpm. Fuel milage went from 48mpg to 32mpg on the hwy. I just pulled the O2 sensor & its black. I remember reading a thread on buying a sensor at the parts store and splicing the BMW connector to it. I can't find it on the search form. If I remember right it was a Bosch sensor. Here is a picture of my sensor.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Hello Dave

I used a Bosch 15733 universal O2 sensor , today at oreillys auto $69
When mine went bad the bike ran fine , 34MPG and black smokey exhaust !
after replacement it maybe runs crisper and 50 MPG also replaced sparkplugs with NGK iridium at the same time - 30K miles and still running same .

Bob G
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
saddle-man said:
On my trip to Vermont last weekend my bike started running a rich fuel mixture. It was down on power more noticeably after 3000rpm. Fuel milage went from 48mpg to 32mpg on the hwy. I just pulled the O2 sensor & its black. I remember reading a thread on buying a sensor at the parts store and splicing the BMW connector to it. I can't find it on the search form. If I remember right it was a Bosch sensor. Here is a picture of my sensor.

Dave, I just installed the one from Beemer Bone Yard. Too much confusion on all the other parts numbers. Works great. Hope that is your problem, looks like it.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought the universal Bosch 15733 O2 sensor. Advance Auto,AutoZone,O'Reilly & NAPA auto part stores all carry that part number which makes it easy to replace anywhere. My exhaust needs some welding & I'm waiting for some other parts from the dealer.

I won't have it running until at least wed. to see how it runs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
saddle-man said:
I just bought the universal Bosch 15733 O2 sensor. Advance Auto,AutoZone,O'Reilly & NAPA auto part stores all carry that part number which makes it easy to replace anywhere. My exhaust needs some welding & I'm waiting for some other parts from the dealer.

I won't have it running until at least wed. to see how it runs.
I think that is the sensor Beemer Bone yard sent as well. With the posi-lock slice kit included?

My exhaust is broken in that collector strap area as well. I'm waiting until I have it apart in the future to have it welded locally.

Are you sure your fuel pressure is up to snuff? That other post mentioned 40 PSI, maybe you have an internal tank leak as well. Causing a full rich condition. I saw you guys checked it with pinch pressure and you probably put a gage on it when you got home. Just curious.

Good luck
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I fire it up this week I will have a pressure gage on it. The front header pipe copper gasket blew out & the collector is cracked at the cat. Also another crack between the cat. & muffler. There are signs of excessive heat from the cat. forward. That problem is fixed.

When I get it running this week I'll have Charlotte BMW run the codes. I spoke with Mark (the owner) yesterday. He has been to my house and seen my shop & understands that I do all of my own work. I still don't think the O2 sensor went first.

bowlesj said:
I think that is the sensor Beemer Bone yard sent as well. With the posi-lock slice kit included?

My exhaust is broken in that collector strap area as well. I'm waiting until I have it apart in the future to have it welded locally.

Are you sure your fuel pressure is up to snuff? That other post mentioned 40 PSI, maybe you have an internal tank leak as well. Causing a full rich condition. I saw you guys checked it with pinch pressure and you probably put a gage on it when you got home. Just curious.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
If you check the files section of the forum under Tech Doc's there is an entry there that has the part number for a plug in replacement for the O2 sensor so you don't have to do any splicing.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rab1967 said:
If you check the files section of the forum under Tech Doc's there is an entry there that has the part number for a plug in replacement for the O2 sensor so you don't have to do any splicing.
Thanks Bob. I have the part # of the sensor with no splicing but the part stores here don't sock it. I want to use a sensor that is available at most part stores as a stocked item. That way I'll be familiar with the installation so I can buy & install one anywhere I am.

I would much rather carry a part number than a spare part. I have only been ridding a K1200LT for 11 1/2 months now and still have a lot to learn about what tools & spare parts to carry.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top