BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Just bought a 2003 LT with 8500 miles so my wife will be comfortable.
any bugs I should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
First off, let me welcome you to the 'Farm'..............I bought an '03 3 years ago and haven't bothered to look back..........great bike; comfortable; and your wife will love it............

If you look up some of the articles on the site, you'll find how to remove the charcoal cannister; drill a weep hole; install HID lighting; change brake pads; flush the ABS and clutch fluids...........you know, some of the minor things............I bought a 'Clymers' manual before I bought the bike............I do all the service and repairs my self, (mostly because of my location in BFE),................

Your starting in the right place here...........good bunch of folks and a lot of knowledge gathered.................

Don't be afraid to check in here on a regular basis to find all the answers.............

B-Safe.................... :bmw:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the new ride with your wife, it is a great bike. Do poke around the site and take advantage of the wealth of info available.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Scott,
Check out the FAQ's & Hall of Wisdom at THIS LOCATION

That will keep you occupied for a while. I never enjoyed anything (well almost anything) as much as my LT and all of the friendships it has afforded me in the Beemer community.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Another Central CA lamb to the fold... WELCOME!!!

There is only one bug... and how to fix it? Practice. The rest of this stuff is easy to overcome. With enough moola and time you can fix anything that can go wrong. The one thing you cannot fix is what to do when the Tommy Knockers come calling.

Find a large open parking lot (mall, theater, state park, somewhere) and practice:
Panic Stops
Slow to a stop
Swerving
Slow speed turns (turns in a box... if'n you want to call it that)
Starting out in second

and then do it all again with the missus on the back. And then do it one more time. Find and take the ERC. Practice is the only way to fix the one bug that this big girl has.

You've found the right place for info, ideas and fix info... you will have to find the time to get comfortable with the bike as it becomes an extension of your will. You will encounter the Tommy Knockers at some point in your travels... knowing what to do is one thing... practicing how to handle the meeting??? is priceless!

Welcome... now get out there and ride my friend...

And Jim really isn't in BFE... That there is God's country... open range that can go on and on forever. Been there... :)

just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard, you have done the right thing buying the LT and coming to this forum. My wife would never ride with me on my RT and now she is like an American Express Card, I can't leave home with out her. She loves the LT. :dance:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Well, well, well.. another one bites the dust!!!

"Mamma gonna be real happy!" Good thinking brother!

Just ride it... have it checked out.. make sure all her fluids are fresh.... as questions arise, check out the HOW (Hall of Wisdom) and search... It will take a long time to read all the stuff here...

Welcome to the insanity!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hall of wisdom already helped with abs warning light leading me to the rear brake resivoir being to low. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Welcome to the greatest most helpful site you'll find on the net for info on an LT.

I TOO have an '03 , purchased a Clymer Manual and do most of my own service. I do let the Dealer flush the ABS every 2 years.

The biggest thing I had trouble with going from a Roadglide to the LT was the BRAKES! Especially hunting a parking spot or pulling into a fuel stop. Gravity has taken over 3 times in the first 1000 miles or so. Since finally learning(I'm a little bull headed)to use the rear brake lightly and keeping the front wheel straight when coming to a stop, I've kept gravity at bay!

I still have the DA emblem on my bike and on the bottom of my side case the sticker that says "Stop laughing and help me pick this thing back up".

I LOVE this bike and so does my Wife.

ENJOY and be safe.
Vern :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Only 8500 miles on a 2003?! That poor baby has been abused by neglect! Get out & rider her, she needs the open road and fresh air. What everybody else said, and welcome to the asylum. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Scott, these scooters take a fair amount of regularly scheduled service. They are a pain to work on when laying on your back glued to the floor. The best tool I purchased for this bike was a 1200 lb. pneumatic lift. Makes performing service a breeze.

Welcome to the forum!

Loren

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
What I am astonished is that nobody told the new guy of BBS yet.This is serious shit!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Scott,
Welcome to the fold. You won't be sorry you joined us. I too bought a used '03 LT this year (April). I have already put 11,000 miles on it. My wife absolutely loves this bike. She has ridden more with me on this bike than she did on all my motorcycles put together in the last 35 years and that list includes a BMW K100RT and a K1100LT. Like it has already been said by others, I don't care how many other bikes you have ridden this one is different and will take getting used to. The brakes are awesome but they will stop you too quickly at parking lot speeds. You WILL stop before you have a chance to put your feet down. Practice, practice, practice. Once you get it, you will love it and not want to ride anything else. Your days of getting to ride solo are over :)
Ride Safely,
Steve

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome. There is a great bunch here willing to help with whatever you need. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
andy said:
What I am astonished is that nobody told the new guy of BBS yet.This is serious shit!

..........thought he might want to have sumthin' to 'research'................. :corn:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Check your fuel line quick connects. They are behind the right side tip-over wing. If both halves are still plastic replace them with the nice chrome and brass ones from Beamer Boneyard. You can also replace just the male halves with parts from the dealer. They frequently crack and spew gasoline at 50 PSI. Other than that most of the issues with this bike are nuisance things as long as you do the regular valve adjustments, oil changes (all three), brake fluid flushes, and anti-freeze changes. It's a great machine. Welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Do the weep hole ASAP. I didn't when I purchased my 03 and it cost me a clutch job. And the updated throttle cables, too............ :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts