BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have just signed up here and am enjoying reading some of the posts. I am contemplating getting a K1200LT or perhaps a GT. Never had a BMW bike but have a BMW car and have never had anything better. Did the Harley thang for a while and I liked it but they are just not strong enough for me. ( HP, that is). I want the bike to jump when I want it to, not just gradually get up.
Thanks in advance for the welcome.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome to the BMW bike world

I had an 04 GT and loved it - took it on a 6200 mile trip this past summer, then traded it in for an LT. I enjoy the LT as it provides better weather protection, and I don't have that lean over w/the shoulders and back. Both are great bikes, just depends upon your riding style.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SeaMarshal,
I'm past the hooligan stage and just like to cruise. But at a good clip with plenty of ponies on tap.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You will likely love the LT. Take a test ride, and be ready to sign the papers!

The LT is deceptively FAST! You will be riding along, look down at the speedometer, and hopefully don't have a heart attack. :D Much smoother, and better handling than the Harley, and one hell of a lot faster.

One thing that you have to do though, try really hard to forget your shift points on the Harley. This big lady loves it best above 3,500 RPM, and REALLY gets happy above 5,000. Most people coming from big V-twins shift the LT WAY to soon.

Of course if you are test riding a new bike, it should not be revved above 4500 or so until it has a few hundred miles or so on it. Then it is ready to sing.

Be careful on your test ride when at walking speed. Don't hit the front brake with the wheel turned at all the last couple feet of a stop. It will lay down if you do, and you will not be able to stop it, and you should not try to. Won't hurt it, just scratch the little plastic tip over guards a little. The lady really protects herself well. Don't ask us how we know! :D :D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Welcome aboard Chris!!

Take a nice long test ride on the LT, it will sell itself.You will enjoy the test ride on the GT if you can find one, but the LT will do what you said you wanted............Regards Pete

·
Registered
607 Posts
Bone, welcome!
I, too, came from the "cruiser" line of riders (Intruder 1400). Now I'm riding the K1200LT. Here's what I found:

The LT is deceptively fast, as others have mentioned. On a cruiser, you KNOW you're moving along. The first time I took the LT on the highway, I glanced at the speedo and found myself in the triple-digit area. Didn't even know I was moving!

At first, you're going to miss the bottom end "grunt" of the big V-Twin. You'll get over that once you realize (again, as has been mentioned) that there is life above 3500 RPM. The first time you blow past your buddies on their Harleys, they'll stop teasing you about your "old man's" bike.

Ride with a significant other? She's going to LOVE you for getting that bike! On the Intruder (with backrest extension and Corbin Dual-Tour saddle, passenger peg lowers) my wife would still ask for breaks every hour or so of riding. On the LT, the biggest problem she has now is staying awake.

You won't regret the move. It will take a little bit to get used to the bike (hardest thing for me to overcome was not being able to see the front tire - don't know why, just a thing with me) but once you do, you'll never look back.

Paul (Tat)

·
Registered
197 Posts
LT over GT

Hi Bone

I came from an R1150RT which was a great bike, the new 1200's are even better I hear, but I wanted a 4 cylinder water cooled bike which meant GT or LT. Test drove both, the GT has the hooligan fell to it and it is an awsome fast bike. But if a significant other is involved and good weather protection is important than the LT is the one.

But what ended up happening with me is that I bought the LT and my wife still not riding with me as much as I hoped for, which made me think on the GT again for a while. But man when you spend hours on the road, highway, two lanes, mountain twisties on the LT you will love it, one up or two up. The GT will be a long gone thought.

Get the LT.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
My riding buddy just had a Jim's Engine (FYI, Jim's is to HD perhaps as AMG is/was to Mercedes) installed in his HD Road Glide, with some exotic exhaust system, a 6 speed Baker (HD), and flowed heads, some other stuff, and it dyno's at 135bhp/125 lb-ft torque. I rode it last night and I am quite sure it will 'smoke' most anything on the road. He did it not necessarily for that reason but got tired of having no throttle left at 70 mph. Truly a wolf in sheep's clothing! Was duly impressed with it and am not sure my K12S would beat it up to 70 . . . at least not with me riding it!

Welcome aboard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts