BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, great forum. I've been a fan of BMW autos for several years now, and won't own anything else. I've owned 7 different brands of motorcycles throughout my life, and I'm about to make it 8 with my first ever BMW motorrad. I took a demo ride on a new RT last week, and I'm sold on it. I'm currently in the process of trying to sell my H-D Road King Custom to make room for the new cycle.

Things I liked most about the RT:

- Deceptively quick. I wasn't all that impressed with the acceleration, until I started paying attention to the speedo post-acceleration. I also own a V-rod, which makes the same amount of hp. The V-rod is an arm jerker and you know you're moving. I suspect that the RT is nearly as quick, though it's so smooth that it's not as noticeable.

- Upright position. I could have ridden down to South America and disappeared for a while on this thing. All day comfort. I'm a tall fellow, and it had room for me. The wife was happy with the back seat, and she's used to the big Road King.

- Fairing. Very little wind. Nice to block out the weather, the bugs, the pollen, whatever mother nature throws at me. I live in the Pacific NW where our riding season is short, and it'll be nice to make it a little bit longer with the proper tool for the job. The adjustable windscreen was perfect for me. I like to feel the wind under 40 mph, and I still got enough with the screen all the way down. Heated seats and grips seem like a huge plus - though I was riding on a 60 degree day so I didn't get the opportunity to enjoy them.

- Handling. While I am currently used to my big Hogs, I've ridden everything. Sport bikes, supermotos, standards, cruisers, motocross, etc. Wow, the RT can move. It rides so much more agile than it looks. German engineering is the best in the land. This bike eats corners. Loved the brakes, the stopping power was just right. Loved the hydraulic clutch, and the gearbox. I even enjoyed the slight horizontal movement caused by the Boxer pistons at idle.

- Fit/finish. This feels/appears to be a very well made machine. If the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, then the RT must really have a lot of soul because the parts are great.

See you on the road soon, comrades.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome on board.

We have a lot in common. Lets see
-12 BMW Autos in a row.
-Rode H-D for 20 years, last 4 were touring bikes.
-Last one was Tour Glide.
-My wife rides with me. She loved the Tour Glide and the two Road Kings before that. She got on the RT, while I still had the Glide... she never got on the Glide again- even when it was her choice of bikes.

Sell the RKC, and you might as well the V-Rod too. You wont be riding it much after the RT.

Like I said. Welcome.

There are a lot of BMW moto guys in your neck of the woods. Let me invite you to this forum as well:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Fullspeed - I'm heading to Portland for a conference week after next (week of 5/16). Any chance you could pm me with some suggestions for partial day rides when the topics at the conference are (ahem) less interesting than riding?

Thanks.

JayJay

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Multnomah falls and ...well......except for slabs, every road in Western Oregon is a Dragon...............................................

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a new member here myself and also from the PNW (In Eugene).
I've owned a lot of motorcycles from Japan, Italy, Spain, Germany and the USA.
I have a 2004 R1150RT and I absolutely love it. It handles, it goes fast and stops flawlessly. It's a lot more technologically advanced than I am used to, but I'm starting to appreciate it. I'm used to working on my own machines. Everything from routine maintenance to complete teardowns and frame-up restorations. On this one, for anything other than fluid and tire changes, I have a good local wrench who's BMW trained up through 2009.
I also currently have a 1996 Moto Guzzi 1100i and two classic (77 and 78) Honda Goldwings. All good machines for their time, but the RT is above and beyond all the bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The RT rocks.. I wish I had kept mine. I was putting on more miles than the LT when I had her...deceptively quicker than she sounds... But a k motor...that's special too :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, all.

@hopz: Thanks for the tip on the other forum, I'll check it out. Good to know that the fairer sex likes the RT, I'll use that as bargaining position with my Mrs. when I go to make the big purchase. The V-rod stays, mine packs some sentimental value - but no doubt the RT will see a lot more miles than it will!

@JayJay: I prefer riding around the wine country - Scholls, Bald Peak, Sherwood, etc. Great scenery, great twisties, few cagers. Hit me up when you're in town and I'll give you the tour. Like Starfighter said you really can't go wrong here. An hour to the mountains, and hour to the beach, a few hours to the high desert, pick your poison.

@Cyclepsycho: I spent 4 good years in Eugene, and I spend my Saturdays there in the fall (Go Ducks!). Some great riding in your neck of the woods. I'll keep you in mind for maintenance advice. I've found a few great local repair guys (Cheshire Motorsports in SE PDX, or Steve Prokop in Dundee) for anything beyond my scope - which is pretty much everything. It sounds like the trusty Boxer powerplant doesn't break down often, and when it does it's relatively easy to straighten out.

@haughty: I can't seem to find a used RT w/o a ton of miles on it, which is a great testament to how much people enjoy riding them!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: if all goes well, I'll be swapping my Road King straight across for an '05 RT a week from today. The RT has only 10K miles and is clean as can be with some good farkles. That is officially my first usage ever of the word 'farkles' by the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you could find an RT a couple years newer, it would be better IMHO. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts