BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most bike lists I'm on consider a new member intro customary, so I'll post this brief note here in that spirit. I've been riding for a long time and a BMW owner for 17 years, having had any number of airheads and two valve K bikes. I just purchased a very basic, higher mileage 1999 LT yesterday that's in good order. I currently also have a '92 GL1500 that I hope to soon mount a Calif Friendship III on. That will be my second sidecar rig.

My wife has a Burgman 650 that I've equipped with a J&M CB/intercom and remote marine FM radio. BTW, we're enthusiastic Burgman owners...this is our (her) fourth one. My first project on this LT will be to install a J&M CB/intercom as well. We've gotten used to bike to bike communication and hooked on listening to our iPods. This will make up for the fact that my LT is not currently equipped with an intercom.

My current K75 is a high mileage unit undergoing the usual once every few years stuff. My project for this weekend is to reinstall the injectors which I sent out to have bench cleaned.

I "will" make a declaration just once since a few of you may know me. I work at a BMW dealership in my semi-retirement. I have been a rider, and on internet bike communities for years, long before I ever had this job and I'm not here for any other purpose than to learn and share as a community participant. I just felt it better to say this now than have someone write..."hey...I know him....he works for XXXX."

This group is almost legendary for it's organization, enthusiasm, and technical support of the LT and touring bikes. It's nice to be here.

JD

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Hi and Welcome Jeff - It's great to have you and your additional knowledge that I hope you will share. I know that what you have learned over the years will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Nice to have you join the group. Pretty good credentials you have. :thumb:

Except for the " I work at a BMW dealership......" part. That makes you a little suspect.... :histerica
All in fun. ;)

Welcome to the group!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Pleased to make your acquaintance from Sunny SW Florida.

Lots of great stuff here!:wave

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Welcome,

I'm sure you will love this site and be able to contribute greatly!!

David

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Now we all have a few questions about.....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeff, we have met several times at the excellent dealership that you work for. I am sure you will love your 99LT, I love mine and it is very simple to work on. Lots of good folks here and lots of good advice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. I also recently bought a 99 LT. And with you joining the forum, I guess I am no longer the "new rider on the block".

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Hi, Jeff -- 'bout time you finally joined the campfire here! :thumb:

For those of you traveling through central VA on or near I-95, stop by Morton's BMW in Fredricksburg and grab a cup of coffee with Jeff and his cohort in cri---, er, sales, Steve Anderson. Between the two of them, a *lot* of real-world riding experiences and stories to swap.

Disclaimer -- I'm buying my K16GTL through Morton's but I've dealt directly with the dealer principal for 30-some years, so I have no need to butter these guys up. ;)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Welcome Jeff thanks for filling out your profile and joining the community. :wave

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mneblett said:
Hi, Jeff -- 'bout time you finally joined the campfire here! :thumb:

For those of you traveling through central VA on or near I-95, stop by Morton's BMW in Fredricksburg and grab a cup of coffee with Jeff and his cohort in cri---, er, sales, Steve Anderson. Between the two of them, a *lot* of real-world riding experiences and stories to swap.)
Well.....I guess it was inevitable that someone fully "outed" me completely.....shoulda known it'd be you Mark... :eek: BTW.....my '80 R100's been gone for a few weeks. Miss it to be sure. I suspect there's gonna be yet another airhead in my future. (Mark's a bit of a prolific poster on the airheads list and our paths used to cross a lot there, too.)

Since you mentioned your own K16 coming, Mark.....I think we're up to 14 or 15 preorders for the K16's at our shop, and the national number is over 700 US preorders and rising. I'm out of the corporate level loops entirely, but that the impression I get is that the presale program is topping everyone's expectations. As I'm sure you all know by now they are shutting down the US preorder program a month earlier than originally scheduled.

There I go rambling about the company stuff.....promised I'd not do that. All I'll say is that, as an enthusiast, if that bike was anywhere in my budget, I'd be all over it. At least I'll get to ride the company demo once in a while :)

On a different note, it's been interesting, owning a GL1500, (still on two wheels, but destined for a sidecar, hopefully by spring).....and now having an LT as my daily rider. They are so completely different, and yet both very enjoyable to ride in their own ways. I guess I'm just a bike nut and love 'em all. For example, I giggle every time I ride my wife's Burgman 650...a truly fun, and very capable, machine. But, speaking of b***hy tupperware to strip, OMG is that Burgman awful when it's service time. As I noted in my 1st post I'll be getting my LT body work baptism soon when I install the J&M stuff. Can't stand not listening to my iPod or having bike to bike with my wife, as I do on the Wing.

BTW.....the vanity plate I ordered for the LT is "NOWING". If I get the nerve I'll ride that bike to a GWRRA chapter meeting sometime.....probably just once..... only to be excommunicated :) Maybe, though, they'll see the humor......

Anyway, thanks for the welcoming posts. As I said, I'm here as an enthusiast. The fact that I sell bikes for a living is totally circumstantial. I used to live in Pittsburgh and for about 10 years..... back when.....even fixed nuclear reactors for Westinghouse (with an MS in microbiology......I still haven't figured out how that happened). After another high pressure pseudo-enginnering job that eventually died out..... I came down to VA and took this job just to slow down and get out of Dodge. I'm NOT a career guy in this industry, at all. Just an old(er) fellow who loves to ride.....anything on two, or three wheels. And, even though I've ridden LT's for several thousand miles in the past, this is the first one I've ever owned. I still can't believe how enjoyable it is to ride. Robb and the gang got a lot right on this bike. Now I wonder why I waited so long to grab one.

JD

·
Registered
607 Posts
Roamrider said:
Well.....I guess it was inevitable that someone fully "outed" me completely.....shoulda known it'd be you Mark... :eek:

BTW.....the vanity plate I ordered for the LT is "NOWING". JD

I just bought my wife's G650GS from Morton's, and enjoyed a great chili cook off a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if it is just me, but I read "NOWING" as a double entendre.

No Wing
Knowing (about LTs and not Wings)

If intentional, then very nice.
If not intentional, feel free to use it at your discretion.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeff, if you really want the cook's tour come join us in Boise in August, there you will see the heart, soul and underwear of this clan.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jeffklt said:
Welcome aboard Jeff, if you really want the cook's tour come join us in Boise in August, there you will see the heart, soul and underwear of this clan.
I can just hear "this" conversation......"Honey, I got invited to a rally out west......to see some LT guys in their underwear....OK if I go?"

Classy bunch.....you are...... :)

Thanks......I think....

JD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts