BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, they call me big ed. New to this forum. Started riding two years ago and didn't know what kind of rider I would become.

Bought a Suzuki C50 in 2005. Gwen, my wife, and I have put 47,000+ miles on the C50 in just 2 years. Riding two-up is something we have truly come to love. With making regular trips to OKC to see the kids and grandkids and just rolling around Texas year-round, we've chewed up the miles (and tires). My C50, the bike I learned on, and learned to love, has served us faithfully every fun mile. But along the way it became obvious to both us that we wanted, needed, a touring bike.

Well, our wait is over...

I have just procured a 2003 BMW K1200LT Exodus. Coming from a C50, this sucker is HUGE and is endowed with every creature comfort.

I've already benefited from this forum. Found and ordered a heel-toe shifter, driver floorboards and even learned about wrapping my grips with tennis raquet tape. So much to learn about this bike and how to handle it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
g'day big_ed! :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just what we need...another Texican! Welcome anyway, Ed.

I betcha our Dick Largen will be lookin' you up for some riden and eatin'!

Good lookin' bike. Ride her like your pants are on fire and the nearest water hole is miles away.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome big ed. We need more in the Houston area to balance out the hill country folks. I've got the same bike as you but a whole lot dirtier.

Dan Martin
5 miles north of Sugarland,Tx

·
Registered
809 Posts
Welcome, Ed

Make sure your handlebars are square when stopping!

Regards,
Curt

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome aboard. She sure looks purty! I am sure you and your wife will really enjoy her. Take your time getting used to her, preferably solo for a short period to get a feel for the weight at low speeds. Don't grab the front brake when under 10mph unless the tire is straight or you may become a member of the Droppers Anonymus Club :D

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Welcome Big Ed

Welcome to the forum Big Ed. I too have ridden a Suzuki LC1500 many miles without a hitch. Then I rode the wheels off a Yamaha Venture and then I found an '03 K1200LTE and now I'm riding it with a lot of pleasure. I started riding 4 years ago. I bought the LC for my 55th birthday.... :) .....Holler if you ever come through this neck of the woods......Ride safe....... :bmw:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ed:
Welcome to you and your wife. Glad to have another rider on board. Also, remember to use the sidestand to shut her off and leave her in first gear when on the side stand (don't ask). Safe and happy riding.

Ray

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome, Ed, to our corner of cyberspace. Looking forward to meeting you and the SO one one of our RTEs.

·
Registered
809 Posts
RiderRay said:
Ed:
Welcome to you and your wife. Glad to have another rider on board. Also, remember to use the sidestand to shut her off and leave her in first gear when on the side stand (don't ask). Safe and happy riding.

Ray
Ray,
Just curious, what is the benefit/reason of shutting the engine down using the side stand switch? I've never heard of doing that.

Thanks,
Curt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts