BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

first post here, after looking around for a while I am leaning really hard to a BMW K for my next bike. I sold my Harley Softail to help pay for school (that was just too much $$$ sitting in the garage) and now I am looking to get a used touring bike for a good price. I was thinking about less than $5k is reasonable. Any suggestions as far as what models to look for?

Info:
I want a bike I can do long hauls with, so a good windshield and comfort is a must.
I live in PA so it gets chilly...heated stuff would be nice
I want a bike that will be low maintenance
I usually ride solo as my wife isn't really that excited.
I am 5'10" 170 lbs.
The only bike I ever rode was my Harley, first bike. I got it with money from the army!!!
Basically, I want it all!!!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I think I got it...

JeremyClark said:
I was thinking about less than $5k is reasonable.
Well, at least nobody can accuse you of not having a sense of humor.

JeremyClark said:
Any suggestions as far as what models to look for?
At a whopping $5k limit, I'd say that the sky is the limit for you. You should be able to pickup a newer LT, GT, and RT; and still have a few bucks left over to buy some gear.

JeremyClark said:
I want a bike I can do long hauls with, so a good windshield and comfort is a must.
Applies to any model BMW that I can think of ... so we've got you covered there.

JeremyClark said:
Google "Gerbing's"...

JeremyClark said:
BMW's are all low-maintenance. Just change the oil once every 100K and you're golden.

JeremyClark said:
That's cuz she's never plopped down on a Beemer yet. :bmw:

JeremyClark said:
I am 5'10" 170 lbs.
I don't even know what to do with this information.

JeremyClark said:
The only bike I ever rode was my Harley, first bike.
And you bought it for less than $5K? Really? It was more than $5K??? Ridiculous! Now I see why you're looking elsewhere for your next purchase.

Welcome to the asylum. :crazy:

·
Registered
938 Posts
If your budget is 5K, it will be pretty hard to find a K1200LT at that price. Maybe a K1100RS or LT. Maybe even a RT. I've got a K1100LT and a 1200LT. I'm about the same size as you are. The 1100LT is a nice bike and I toured on it 2 times out west. I like the seating position but my knees hit the fairing (I might just have long legs or something). The windshield may look awkward but it works very well.

You should be able to find one very cheap. I was going to trade mine in, but they think it is wore out at 98,000. The K engine will give you a lot of miles and will perform very well in curves.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Welcome

JeremyClark said:
Hey all,

first post here, after looking around for a while I am leaning really hard to a BMW K for my next bike. I sold my Harley Softail to help pay for school (that was just too much $$$ sitting in the garage) and now I am looking to get a used touring bike for a good price. I was thinking about less than $5k is reasonable. Any suggestions as far as what models to look for?

Info:
I am 5'10" 170 lbs.
The only bike I ever rode was my Harley, first bike. I got it with money from the army!!!
Basically, I want it all!!!
Welcome HD graduate. Cheap bikes are like cheap women. A good one is really hard to find.

That said, keep your eyes on the used listings, eBay, cycletrader... and drop by your BMW dealership to strike up a friendship with the folks there. They can reach out to pals for you. Sometimes a decent bike is sitting in a gargage just not being used much any more. Often an old BMW comes in on trade and if they know your needs they can call you as soon as they see it coming in for trade. Lots of guys upgrade when the warm weather hits and a lot of old bikes need to find a new home. That is exactly how I found my latest Porsche. Took about 14 months. Be patient and keep after the search.

Good luck making your decisions.

Thought you might enjoy knowing a pal of mine from motorsports is now in an exec engineering job at HD. He recommended that I stay with BMWs when I made both of my last buys. He knows how I ride and he said I am better off in the BMW camp.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: Welcome

cfell said:
Hurry over to BMW North Houston.. tomorrow is YOUR DAY!
Deacon,

The boy lives in PA, has darn little cash, and you want him to rush down to Texas????????

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts

fas said:
Deacon,

The boy lives in PA, has darn little cash, and you want him to rush down to Texas????????
He seems motivated, Rob!

On second thought, you're right... I shouldn't tease him like that...

Sorry Mr. Clark.... I thought someone in the Houston area could be your representative to work a deal for/with you....especially if you were able to do a lease.... I beg your forgiveness...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think I found the perfect bike for 'ya! Check it out below....less than 5k, runs good...won't have to EVER worry about the wifey ridin' with 'ya....and it's on Ebay right now. :histerica

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The main stumbling block I see for you is your $5k budget. You're not going to be able to get into a decent LT or even a reasonably recent model Gold Wing for that money. If you're riding solo most of the time, based on your budget I would look for an R1100RT or early R1150RT, an ST1100 (the ST1300 will be out of your range even used), a fairly recent Kawasaki Concours (not the new Concours 14, the older model), or maybe even a well kept and maintained GL1500.

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I guess I should have given a bit more info (sorry about that I will take my lashings like a big boy!)...I didn't think I would be getting an new (or even close to new) BMW for less than $5K.

I was thinking an older bike with HIGH miles. Which is one reason I was really attracked to BMW and Honda bikes, they run for ever with few problems. I figure that there has to be some crazy long-distance rider out there who puts about 100K on a bike in 5 years who then wants to unload it.

I have lots of time, I prob won't buy (unlesss a GREAT deal comes along) for a year or so - until I'm out of school - so I have some time to look.

All that being said I am really just going to try and soak up some knowledge (and probably wise cracks from the looks of things) from this site so when I do go out to buy I'm edjumacated.

Also, can anyone offer me some advice on this bike....looks like it might be a good deal, and I have no problem flying to buy and riding back (assuming the bike is road worthy!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab=Watching&viewitem=&item=310024086909&_trksid=p3907.m32
What can I expect something like this to go for?

Perhaps I will head over to Touch of Class BMW in Phillipsburg, NJ this weekend and get to know them. Anybody know the staff there?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
JeremyClark said:
Also, can anyone offer me some advice on this bike....looks like it might be a good deal, and I have no problem flying to buy and riding back (assuming the bike is road worthy!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab=Watching&viewitem=&item=310024086909&_trksid=p3907.m32
What can I expect something like this to go for?
Road worthy? Not with 2 oil leaks. I had a '93 K1100LT. Traded it in w/86k miles on a '99LT. K1100LT is almost bulletproof. Too much buzz though.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts

cfell said:
Hurry over to BMW North Houston.. tomorrow is YOUR DAY!
Shush up Deacon. We need to keep that a secret. They've got 2 '08 LT's in stock. Want me to pick you up one? Bring it right over when the weather warms up. August would be good.

dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Take a look at Hermys BMW/Triumph in Port Clinton PA, (hermys.com) They are loaded with bikes and staff very friendly and knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts

DanMartin said:
Shush up Deacon. We need to keep that a secret. They've got 2 '08 LT's in stock. Want me to pick you up one? Bring it right over when the weather warms up. August would be good.

dan
Thanks for "looking out" for me, Dan.. I'm truly blessed.

I mentioned they were closing and the possibility of a NEW bike to my bride this morning... she said.. "go back to bed and wake up you're still dreaming..."...

I love her....

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

DanMartin said:

dan

'O8 or an '05 -- What's the difference????? Oh yea, I forgot, they labeled a lot of '05's as '08's and raised the price! :histerica

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Re: I think I got it...

messenger13 said:
Well, at least nobody can accuse you of not having a sense of humor.

At a whopping $5k limit, I'd say that the sky is the limit for you. You should be able to pickup a newer LT, GT, and RT; and still have a few bucks left over to buy some gear.

Applies to any model BMW that I can think of ... so we've got you covered there.

Google "Gerbing's"...

BMW's are all low-maintenance. Just change the oil once every 100K and you're golden.

That's cuz she's never plopped down on a Beemer yet. :bmw:

I don't even know what to do with this information.

And you bought it for less than $5K? Really? It was more than $5K??? Ridiculous! Now I see why you're looking elsewhere for your next purchase.

Welcome to the asylum. :crazy:
Joe, he's a newbie! At least a little Vasoline first!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts

cfell said:
Thanks for "looking out" for me, Dan.. I'm truly blessed.

I mentioned they were closing and the possibility of a NEW bike to my bride this morning... she said.. "go back to bed and wake up you're still dreaming..."...

I love her....
I called mine this morning and the response was similar. But it was a nice looking bike.

dan

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you want a super nice bike for that price, in good to new condition, easy to do your own work on, easy to modify for your needs (well, some of those needs)..and very low miles compared to what your talking about..

Look at the Yamaha FZ1, first generation (2001-2005 models).

Look on the FZ1 owners forum.

I've had 3 of those bikes, did all the work and all the mods on them myself. I don't work on my beemers other than tires/oil for comparo. Not that I can't, time is an issue for me (like, I have none).

I rode near 1000 miles/day on the FZ1. More than once. Accessories are pretty cheep (soft bags, corbin seat, etc).

I don't know if there is a better bike out there for the money, all around.

Oh yeah..watch the power band, it will also get you in trouble pretty quick :)

Maybe the ST1300 honda too, not sure about used prices but its' a good bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts