BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new-to-me 2002 K1200LT last week. I spent many hours on the internet and researching this forum before looking seriously, so I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into. I travelled to central West Virginia to purchase it and trailered it back to Ohio. The bike has 53,000 miles on it. The current owner decided he wanted to go back to a GoldWing and I have to admit his new bike looked pretty darn nice!

This LT is in pretty good shape cosmetically, but has probably had little maintenance done in the past 30,000 miles other than oil changes. The ABS light is on. The clutch feels like it's slipping, and only one stereo speaker works. It also needs tires.

A BMW service manual on CD came with the bike, and I have a Clymers manual on order. I spent the weekend giving her a good cleaning and polishing and a fairly detailed visual inspection. I also fixed some small cosmetic items that needed addressed.

Brake pads are approximately 50%. It still has the original brake lines. As a matter of fact, the whole bike looks to be original.

Today I pulled off the plastics to check the brake fluid. The fluid looked clean, but the levels in both rear reservoirs were low. Hopefully I'll get lucky and topping them off will get the ABS light to go out. It's too cold for a test drive (2 degrees F), so I will have to wait to see.

While the plastics were off, I removed the stingray and fiddled with the stereo speaker connections. No Joy. I've pulled the stereo and am researching whether to send it in to be repaired, or to swap it with an aftermarket unit.

I've got the rest of winter to give her a bit of love and get it ready for the riding season. Thanks to everyone that has posted about their LTs and have shared their experiences. It helped give me the confidence to try and bring this bike back up to snuff.

I can't wait!

'dale

Reactions: JNW003

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good luck with your "new" bike. I also have a 2002 model. The Goldwing is a nice bike but I have owned a Goldwing and I like the K1200LT much more. I am not very handy with wrenches, but it surprises me how some of the maintenance can be done by someone like myself. Just ride and enjoy it and welcome aboard.
Leon

·
Registered
691 Posts
Congrats to you.

If you haven't already found them, Kirk from BMW Club of Northern Illinois have created a fantastic series of extremely helpful how-to service videos for our bikes. Maint./ Repair Videos

There are also some other resources here under the Tools tab at the top of this page.

Welcome to the LT world :wave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I've seen several of Kirk's videos. They are an excellent resource for a newbie like me to get familiar with some of the unique features of the LT.

I have had some experience rebuilding/restoring several motorcycles of various brands, but nothing as complex as the LT. It should be fun! And when I'm done, I'm looking forward to putting some serious miles on her!

'dale

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Yes, I've seen several of Kirk's videos. They are an excellent resource for a newbie like me to get familiar with some of the unique features of the LT.

I have had some experience rebuilding/restoring several motorcycles of various brands, but nothing as complex as the LT. It should be fun! And when I'm done, I'm looking forward to putting some serious miles on her!

'dale
Welcome to the forum Dale

They are fantastic bikes with a few idiosyncrasies. Good luck restoring her to her former glory. I love mine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome aboard from the best motorcycle forum out there. Lots of help from very intelligent master mechanics. Several Buckeyes hang out here also. I took a ride about a wk. ago when temp. reached fifty. Hopefully things will turn around soon so you can get some saddle time in but til then there's lots to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to the new (to you) bike and the forum. I am a somewhat recent 2002LT owner too. Seems to be a good year for the bike from what I have seen on this forum. Of course, it depends on if your bike was built on a hangover during Octoberfest or not...lol. I hope you enjoy your ride as much as I am enjoying mine or more!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Welcome to the nut house it has been proven that all LT owners are "SPECIAL" we endure pain, disappointment, sorrow and financial ruin better than anyone and despite all that we just keep on riding and smiling on those sweet, quick, great handling, heavy machines.

Good Luck and stay tuned to this site.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the nut house it has been proven that all LT owners are "SPECIAL" we endure pain, disappointment, sorrow and financial ruin better than anyone and despite all that we just keep on riding and smiling on those sweet, quick, great handling, heavy machines.

Good Luck and stay tuned to this site.
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Unfortunately, my wife frequently reminds me of how "SPECIAL" I am.

The Clymers manual arrived a few days ago, so it now lies on my nightstand for some casual reading before I fall asleep. I replaced the tires yesterday and spent some time detailing the wheels. New tires and clean wheels sure make the bike look better! While the wheels were off, I was able to get a better look at the brakes pads. They are definitely getting down there, so I ordered a set. I removed the stereo and sent it to Baris for a refurb.

While I'm waiting on pads and the stereo to return, I decided to repair the top case latch, which had the typical broken corner. After removing the latch and seeing how it works, I cut a couple steel reinforcement ribs that I am currently JB Welding into the latch. After it dries, I am planning on drilling 1/16" holes through the dogleg and into the new rib to "pin" them together for added strength. I hope this works.

When I replace the brake pads, I would like to change the brake fluid as well. Is there a method that would allow me to change the fluid in all of the circuits, or will I need to take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Unfortunately, my wife frequently reminds me of how "SPECIAL" I am.

The Clymers manual arrived a few days ago, so it now lies on my nightstand for some casual reading before I fall asleep. I replaced the tires yesterday and spent some time detailing the wheels. New tires and clean wheels sure make the bike look better! While the wheels were off, I was able to get a better look at the brakes pads. They are definitely getting down there, so I ordered a set. I removed the stereo and sent it to Baris for a refurb.

While I'm waiting on pads and the stereo to return, I decided to repair the top case latch, which had the typical broken corner. After removing the latch and seeing how it works, I cut a couple steel reinforcement ribs that I am currently JB Welding into the latch. After it dries, I am planning on drilling 1/16" holes through the dogleg and into the new rib to "pin" them together for added strength. I hope this works.

When I replace the brake pads, I would like to change the brake fluid as well. Is there a method that would allow me to change the fluid in all of the circuits, or will I need to take it to a dealer?
The Clymer should have the procedures for doing all the fluids so read up on that. There are also many postings on procedures. Someone probably has that link saved and will post it here for you. There is a funnel you can buy or make that will help a lot in bleeding the systems with servo assist and I believe 2002 is servo assist. Everyone will tell you and I am sure you have read that those rubber brake lines have to go so I would just go ahead and order a new Spiegler SS set and then flush the fluids at that time and don't wait.

Now that you have your Clymer, turn to page 263 and correct the value in the table for the exhaust manifold torque. It is incorrectly listed as 44 FT LBS when it should be 16. The procedure lists it as 16 correctly in the text but the table is wrong. I almost snapped my bolts off by looking at the table.

I also have the broken top case handle so I would be interested in seeing what you are doing to fix it. I haven't taken it apart yet so if you have some workable solution, there may be some interested in trying to replicate it. Post a pic so we can see what you are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would echo the earlier suggestion to look on YouTube for the DIY videos by Kirk, the President of the Illinois BMW club. Here are links to two that will take care of your needs.
How to flush the system and the clutch.
How to flush the ABS.

I hope I did the links correctly. If not, cut and paste.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Slipping clutch. Does your bike have an oil stain on the right side of the bike on the engine to transmission case seam? If so, the rear engine seal 19x4mm oring has hardened and is leaking. A common age related malady.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 2002 has the integrated brakes with the "BMW" on the calipers. I believe Kirk's videos show the procedure for the ABSII system. Basically, the Clymer's manual says to take it to a dealer for flushing. From my brief searches thus far it appears that the integrated brake system requires energizing the ABS pumps to do a complete flush.

Beech, I'll check the bike to see if I can find the oil stain you're referring to.

I'll also see if I can post a few pics of my latch repair. It's currently in-process. If it looks like it will work, I will share the results in a separate thread.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Here is a step by step with pictures on how to bleed your brakes.
How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes - I-BMW.com
It takes a couple of hours including plastic. First time will be a bit longer. You will need to bend a wrench to get to some of the bleed nipples and Beemerboneyard sells a funnel with threads to match the reservoir fill caps. It is just tedious not difficult. Just do not get any air in the works.
I also suggest you get one of the older versions of the GS-911, you do not need the new WiFi version for your bike so a used old one could be had for $100 or so. Even if you buy new it is a good tool for the bike.
Here is the home page for you to read about it:
The Home of GS-911 ? HEX Code

·
Registered
847 Posts
My 2002 has the integrated brakes with the "BMW" on the calipers. I believe Kirk's videos show the procedure for the ABSII system. Basically, the Clymer's manual says to take it to a dealer for flushing. From my brief searches thus far it appears that the integrated brake system requires energizing the ABS pumps to do a complete flush.

Beech, I'll check the bike to see if I can find the oil stain you're referring to.

I'll also see if I can post a few pics of my latch repair. It's currently in-process. If it looks like it will work, I will share the results in a separate thread.
A nother choice for how to flush your brakes email John Zeiler its a GREAT Vid It makes the job a whole lot easier

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the link, Beech. That's the information I was looking for. I'll look into the GS-911 as well.

What a great site!

'dale

1 - 20 of 20 Posts