BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"In the motorcycles line of business, the BMW Group will continue to pursue its new model initiative throughout the rest of 2009 in an effort to counter reluctant consumer spending caused by the global economic crisis. Despite these measures, however, motorcycle sales are nevertheless expected to be lower than in the previous year."

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_pr...up_prod/e/0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/home/home.html

Maybe they're talking about the new LT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
I certainly hope they do something positive about the LT soon. There certainly were a lot of them in Johnson City at the BMWMOA rally, and many were 2-up. Sure, lots of other bikes, but the segment of the US population, like it or not, BWM, that can still afford new bikes is largely of the age and inclination to get on an LT. Its not that the S1000RR does not have an upside potential in racing, but how many knee-draggers are there, anyway.

Regards

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Just purchased a used (4K) 09 LT. It is my first BMW product. I've had the 1200 wing and a Harley dresser in years past. I'm 50 and the economy is what prompted me to buy at this time.My fear was that interest rates would creep back up as in the Carter years with the feds printing money as they are. I'm still raising children so that limits the time I can ride. I will say that the LT is a bit top heavy two-up. Gotta get used to that. However, I am pleased with it so far. It is better two-up than the Honda ace-t I own. Most of the time it is just me and a few of the guys I work with. I did push it a bit in the curves on the way home. Yeah, I can live with that. I say it floats like a butterfly. I do not consider my self one with good riding skills - mostly cruising - but I do like the curves. I can't wait to get it out on the interstate. I'm a new member and this is my first post. There is some very good info on here folks so keep posting. The LT is less than a week old so I haven't had the time to figure out the electronics yet. I will say it's a keeper.....riding from Southern Illinois..... :bmw:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
Possible thread hijack . . .

Hmmm . . . Chester, IL - I believe that is home to none other than Popeye





Last time I was on the bridge in Chester I was traveling to a CCR at Tan Tara in the Ozarks.
We just came off Kaskaskai Street running along the river, turned on Water Street and hopped on 150 going west.
No sooner than we did and we drove right past the Popeye statue.
Really wanted to stop and explore the town and a little history of Popeye
but we were the last in a pack of three LT's zoom, zoom . . .

So I picked these photo ops off of Google maps by others who did stop and take a photo opportunity.

Welcome to the site . . . don't spend too much time here. It is addictive . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Now, first thing to do is wipe that LT grin off your face. Should happen within a couple years. Like you I am 50+ and I don't consider myself to be an excellent rider. Just an old dude who rides the speed limit and enjoys the product of fine German craftsmanship. I've been riding MC's since I was 11. Without a doubt the LT is the finest bike I've owned or ridden.

Two up? I have 2 riding partners, my SO of 34 years and a friend I used to work with. I just explained the rules to them.

1.) You don't climb on until you ask permission.

2.) Until we're moving forward sit still and look forward.

3.) Feet on the pegs unless I tell you to jump!

Preparation for 2 up launch:

1.) Bike in first gear and pushed forward against compression

2.) On sidestand (or centerstand) Sidestand is ok.

3.) Wife: Climbs on before I get on. Just stand by so she doesn't fall off.
26 year old riding partner: She climbs on after I'm in place. I hold the front
brake in both circumstances

4.) Light the fire and ride off.

Once you're moving 5 mph she stabilizes right up and the passenger can wiggle all they want.

Landings are the same 1 or 2 up. Make sure the LZ has solid footing, pick the spot and put your foot down on the spot as you come to a full stop. Don't mash the front brake when you are at low speeds and don't turn the handlebars a bunch at low speeds.

Now. Do yourself the most hugest favor that you can possibly do. Contact DDM Tuning and order a set of HID lights. $42.50 for low beam and same for high beam. EASY to install and the difference cannot be described! An unbelievable improvement.

Now go and enjoy the fat lady!
If she does start to turn turtle on you be ready to holler jump. You don't want the thing to roll over on top of you (or your passenger)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I am interested in switching to HID but I am somewhat confused at to what to order.
I have gone to site: DDM Tuning . Would you please share details. I assume it is 35w & 55w Single.
Which of the following should I order for just 'low beam':
Wattage:
Bulb type:
Bulb color:
Thank You
little_jake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
I just bought the DDM Tuning HID,
I got the 35 watt H7 low beam, 5000 color.
Absolutely love it, best $42 spent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Me thinks the fine German engineering needs to be savored slightly above the post American limit :rotf:

wa1200lt said:
Now, first thing to do is wipe that LT grin off your face. Should happen within a couple years. Like you I am 50+ and I don't consider myself to be an excellent rider. Just an old dude who rides the speed limit and enjoys the product of fine German craftsmanship. )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
ancientman said:
Just purchased a used (4K) 09 LT. It is my first BMW product. I've had the 1200 wing and a Harley dresser in years past. I'm 50 and the economy is what prompted me to buy at this time.My fear was that interest rates would creep back up as in the Carter years with the feds printing money as they are. I'm still raising children so that limits the time I can ride. I will say that the LT is a bit top heavy two-up. Gotta get used to that. However, I am pleased with it so far. It is better two-up than the Honda ace-t I own. Most of the time it is just me and a few of the guys I work with. I did push it a bit in the curves on the way home. Yeah, I can live with that. I say it floats like a butterfly. I do not consider my self one with good riding skills - mostly cruising - but I do like the curves. I can't wait to get it out on the interstate. I'm a new member and this is my first post. There is some very good info on here folks so keep posting. The LT is less than a week old so I haven't had the time to figure out the electronics yet. I will say it's a keeper.....riding from Southern Illinois..... :bmw:

Congrats on the new beemer. And welcome to our circus circus touring community. You will find that bike actually rocket through curves after a while. Trust it. I personally believe it sucks the curves and improves with speed. Pretty tough to lean too far, I havent touched yet. Agree with your assessment of the Carter years and what might be on its way after Obama's gang is done.. hyper inflation kicks in.. Jimmy got hammered by it and went out in disgrace basically. Enjoy the LT and run that thing on the interstate, it is meant to run, folks will admire it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Ljake, I too went with the 35 W 5000 deg Kelvin set up. My bike is older so my lamp type is different. I did only my low beam, two seperate bulbs on my oldie, just to see if it would be worth it. EEEEEYikes! There is almost more bright white colored light than you know what to do with. A 55W would be too much. I plan on upgrading the high beam as it currently looks like it is the color and has the light output of a birthday candle and will go with 55W.

The 35 W on a sunny day will illuminate the signs along the highway.

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
stapleford said:

Congrats on the new beemer. And welcome to our circus circus touring community. You will find that bike actually rocket through curves after a while. Trust it. I personally believe it sucks the curves and improves with speed. Pretty tough to lean too far, I havent touched yet. Agree with your assessment of the Carter years and what might be on its way after Obama's gang is done.. hyper inflation kicks in.. Jimmy got hammered by it and went out in disgrace basically. Enjoy the LT and run that thing on the interstate, it is meant to run, folks will admire it.

I know about those curves. I rode home with an experienced BMW rider. Of course he has a sport model. Anyway, he is taking the lead and pushing pretty hard. We had some long sweeping curves along the way. I couldn't keep up with him but I did hit triple digits, but only because it felt okay to do so. I'm usually coming out of the curves faster than when I go in :bmw:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top