BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of a 2007 LT. I am concerned about the notes about low speed handling and lack of low speed torque and high center of gravity. I have had an Ultraclassic HD in the past without difficulty. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I offed my last and final HD Bagger and never looked back after more than 500K miles over 33+ years.

Yes the LT is heavier, but not something you cannot get use to, just as you got use to the low HD horsepower and minimal lean angle.. Every MC has a learning curve.
BMW LT <> WAYYY better handling, motor, etc.... No contest.
You are on the west side of WA with plenty of BMW dealers who I am sure will let you take one for a test ride!!

Harley Davidson = yesterdays Technology @ Tomorrows Prices.

Difference in HD Versus BMW.

HD = Slow down in the curves and hope try to speed up before the pinging starts in the straights...

BMW = Speed up in the curves and try to not laugh out loud in the straights as you pass everything else on the road in comfort and confident of your elegant mount!!! + get 50 MPG competely stock with no need to Futz with the motor and little pirates at the dealership!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I cant add anything further except that my last two HD's were EGC's and I havent looked back. The LT will blow you away.

F

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
drrcnelson said:
I am considering the purchase of a 2007 LT. I am concerned about the notes about low speed handling and lack of low speed torque and high center of gravity. I have had an Ultraclassic HD in the past without difficulty. Any thoughts?
You really need to ride an LT yourself and make the call! Everyone has opinions...! What are yours. :) Some who test ride an LT hate it, many fall in love for the first time.

BTW, since you're used to an HD...If you test ride an LT, they like the RPMs to be between 4000 and 7000. Please don't talk about low end torque until you launch one yourself. As a matter of fact, bring along an HD bubby with you. Use him (or her) as a reference point speed, handling, braking, comfort and QUIET! Good luck.:bmw:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lt

a brand new LT sounds great... but there are some really cherry used LTs out there that the sellers know every last detail about. my point is a real nice used LT with all the farkles is not such a bad deal. just my opinion... but for half the cost of an 07, a little shopping can find a lot of bike for the $$$ and ... if you don't like the weight or other facet... it's less of a financial risk...

have fun!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
the LT is the ultimate in style and comfort. I've never owned a HD but I've ridin my share and the BMW wins hands down in my opinion. so ride an LT and let the bike show you what it will do.... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Do it!

If you are like most H-D owners with the LT you will spend lots less time cleaning and admiring and more time riding and grinning.....

I am in my third month with a new 06 LT which replaced a Road King Classic (Mustang Seat, police handle bar, Screaming Eagle stage one, Power Commander, Slash Down Mufflers and on and on) I dearly loved that Road King.

But I amazed myself as to how much more I enjoy the LT. The ride, the power, the quiet, the sound system, the luggage room, water cooled engine, heated seats and grips, and the biggest joy are brakes that work. I can take serious mountain twisties and only use one finger for needed braking

:dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I personally don't think the LT handles all that bad at low speeds, even in turning. I came from an Ultra Classic, and even though the Lt is heavier, I think it is much more responsive than the HD, and it is much much more fun to ride. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Harley, I just love my LT much more. As far as low speed torgue goes, I don't see that much difference. What I do see a big difference in is the power at higher speeds. I think you will love the LT. Just my opinion. jrlakin

·
Registered
247 Posts
purchase LT

I have owned two Harleys. An Ultra and a a classic. I currently own a 2005 LT. Although I still enjoy the harley Ride, I find that the LT is a better handling
bike and safer. Low speed maneuvering is no problem with the Lt once you adjust to the bike. Good Luck. Hey, why not have both rides

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
jvalny said:
I have owned two Harleys. An Ultra and a a classic. I currently own a 2005 LT. Although I still enjoy the harley Ride, I find that the LT is a better handling
bike and safer. Low speed maneuvering is no problem with the Lt once you adjust to the bike. Good Luck. Hey, why not have both rides
I didn't give up my Harley when I got the LT. Harley hasn't been ridden much in the six or so weeks since I've had the LT, but it is a new toy, and the HArley isn't a lot of fun in the cold!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
drrcnelson said:
I want to thank all of you for your input. I guess it is time to move up. :)
Get a nice long test ride, you will come back and sign the papers. Don't worry, the dealer will have a pen you can use. :D :D

As someone else pointed out, be sure you test the RPM ranges where the LT really shines, and DO NOT bog it down below 3,000 RPM, preferably no lower than 3,500. This fat lady LOVES to sing! In the twisty curves, try to keep it well over 4,000, engine braking into curves works really well in the high end.

Also, DO NOT grab a handfull of front brake when almost stopped, with the front wheel turned any at all! That is the best way to learn how to pick up over 800 pounds of bike. A whole LOT of us have learned that the hard way, or so I have been told. :D :D :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
O7 Verses later years

I posted this above also
I have had a 1999, and 2004 LT, just got the first 07 on Dec 30. It does have the HID standard. It and the 06 had a bit more HP, I think they did it withthe intake and electronics, the 07 does sound throatier that the 04 and 99. Electric center stand is AWSOME. the dealer said the 07 has a bit different camber or caster for slow speed, it does and the 07 does handle much better at slow speed. New comm system has all the bells and whistles, jury is still out on the reliability. If you are going to have an Ipod, suggest you get the provisions for the 6 disc changer (DO NOT GET THE CHANGER) I was told the wires are not there to put the I pod in the LH saddle unless you get the prep.
I bought a Garmin ZUMO, it's mount bolts right to the GPS prep. You can pick up power for it in the factory prep wiring, run the audio out to the AUX plug on the comm and have 2 gig of music, voice directions and XM. I did blue tooth with the Motorola 820 hands free kit wired to the phone jackand a Samsung Blackjack, rings in the headset and all.
I paid a shade over 20k. Demo with 7 miles.
Hope this helps

Milton

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 1000 miles on my new 07. When I first wrote the check I said to myself "why am I spending the money when I love my 03" Once I got on the bike I noted all of the improvements. Money well spent, I love it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
:) *Yea, >>> What Dave Shealey Said!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess the big change in the LT that I've heard is the decrease in the rake angle on the front end. It is supposed to improve on the low speed handleing. . . ei. in town slow traffic manuveralbility. But, at a cost. The high speed it gets a little squirely. Give me the old tech. Gotta ride. :bmw:
Beemers for ever ! ! !

·
Registered
312 Posts
comstocklt said:
The high speed it gets a little squirely.
Not sure if I can agree. I have had my LT going at a pretty good clip and the handling is fine.

Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ultra vs LT

Hi Robert,
If your looking for low end torque, by a Goldwing. Nothing like it, the engine is incredible - but IMHO the bike is not much fun to ride, I've owned several of them. The dry weight of an Ultra is actually heaver then an LT (808 lbs to 761). Now I'll probably agree with you that first time out of the garage the Ultra may feel more stable at walking speeds, but that's because your closer to the ground. But once you get the hang of the LT, low speed stuff isn't really a problem. The handling and fun factor of the LT is in a class by itself. Riding fatigue is much less then an Ultra, you can actually enjoy the stereo. Your neighbors will like you more. The only problem is the HD pirate suit doesn't really go with an LT.

Good luck with your decision,

Smith
Greensboro, NC
'05 Dark Graphite

·
Registered
826 Posts
KYchris02 said:
a brand new LT sounds great... but there are some really cherry used LTs out there that the sellers know every last detail about. my point is a real nice used LT with all the farkles is not such a bad deal. just my opinion... but for half the cost of an 07, a little shopping can find a lot of bike for the $$$ and ... if you don't like the weight or other facet... it's less of a financial risk...

have fun!
Great used bikes will be around for years to come unless the rest of the bike world catches on to the magic. "IF" I buy another bike in modern time after my Y2K "wears out" LOL, I'll take my knowledge of the bike and get an updated one. Can't see a time where at least one LT isn't in the stall.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts