BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I recently picked up a 2009 LT with 22k miles. My other bike is a 2000 R1200C. What a different ride on the LT!
So, the bike came with new tires on it. As I started to read up on the bike I quickly found the Avon Storm 3D tires are not recommended for the bike.
Although the tires are new, I'm going to get a proper rated tire. The issue I'm having is all my searches are showing old threads/data. So,
I hate to be that guy. But, can anyone post a link to a recent thread(s)?

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great find! She looks great! You need a 79V Reinforced tire on the back. Particularly if you will ride 2-up. The choices are limited to the ME888, Bridgestone BT20, or Shenko 777. An Avon is available too but I can’t think of it. Will you do 2-up riding? If not I’d be tempted to ride on the tire(s) she has. I see an Avon 3D XM 79V reinforced tire on their site? That works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,
Please, before changing your tires, try them on.
I have a LT from 2006 with Avon 3D XM 79V reinforced and they are great, and extra even in the rain, unlike the Metzeler which are a soap in the rain. This is the second time that I have installed them. They are easily found here in Europe. I drive with 2.8 and 3.2., This is important.
Best regards, Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!
My limited research was telling me two things.
1 - the late model LT suggests bias ply tires. The Avon is a radial
2 - The Avon was not rated for the rear weight.

I did find the 79V mentioned. I'll check to see if mine is weight rated appropriately.

I'll do 99% single rider. But, what ultimately lead me to checking tires right after the purchase was the bike would some times feel like it's riding on ice.
I wouldn't call it a wobble even (althought, that's what I was searching). It almost feels like the rear tire is loose.
I did check final drive movement. I'm fully aware of the final drive issues as I have rebuilt the drive on my R12C years back.

Per your suggestions I'll check tire pressure and give it some more miles. Maybe remove the CEE Bailey and reinstall the original windshield?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I did check my tires.
I have a 79V on the rear that is Load Range C REINF rated at 963 lbs/42 psi.
I checked tire pressure and I'm at 42 front and 48 rear. I've read that these are the desired reading for some. But, is over inflating the rear advisable?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Posted this a couple of weeks ago in another thread--

I find "Search" on here is pretty spotty.

A more effective way is to use Google to search the site. To do this, open a new Google search page, then type into the search box what you're searching for then follow it with

site: www. bmwlt. com

but without the spaces between showing in the line above. I had to add some spaces because otherwise our forum software automatically changes anything that looks like a URL into an actual URL. Which would NOT be what you would want to type. :laugh:

This search will return the most relevant posts first followed by less relevant posts, but all from this web site.

I use the same technique on Amazon. The Amazon internal search feature is famously bad, but Google is very effective. Just type in your search terms then follow it with site: www. amazon. com and it makes it easier to find the specific thing you want.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If riding 1-up nearly all the time I don't think 48 is needed, and your comment about it feeling like "riding on ice" probably confirms that. A lot of the 1-up guys are happy starting out the day with cold pressure around 42-44. That should give you a bigger contact patch and maybe make the tire feel more planted.

I'll also echo the other guys that the Avon you have there is not a bias-ply but it's a very fine tire for 1-up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello from Greece. Nice to find somebody with a 2008 black LT with low mileage and in good condition like mine. I have a black LT 2008 with 27.650Km which as my friends telling me is the best in Greece at least. Now for the tyres issue. The AVON are Radial so not suitable for our LT (2004 onwards). The ME888 are generally good but the rear one is very slippery in rain or getting worst as the years passes. ME880 was much better because it had a softer compound. I am wearing ME888 since May 2017 and 9.000 on them. On friday I am going to receive from Germany the ME888 for forward and the Metzeler Cruisetech for the rear. The Cruisetech was released on January 2019 and it is a 2 compound tyre so I am expecting that will perform. Ofcourse it is rated as 79V and characterized as REINF. I will let you and everybody here at the forum as the time pass for the way Cruisetech handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
As for the pressure I use 38 at the front and 44 at the rear. When I am travelling fully loaded then I go with 46 at the rear. Having on my Garmin GPS the pressure indication on both tires (I have installed the Garmin pressure sensors) I can tell you the the front pressure goes to 41-42 and the reat reaches pressure of 50 during summer easily. I keep 38 at the front since from the first day installed the ME888 at the front I had noticed tremble between 40 to 70 km. With 38psi this phenomenon disappeared. This solution I read it here at the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts