BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of motorcycling for the last 6 years. I have had many H-D's, Honda's, 2002 RT-P, 2008 RT but this is my first ever K bike and I bought a project with 100k on the odometer. It appears to be mostly cosmetic but I was looking for any must do items that any of you feel you would do. I have a short list of a few mechanical necessitates I'm going to tackle over the next month before Michigan's riding season is in full bloom.

-complete fluid changes
-front tire (back is good)
-front brake lines
-all brake pads
-fuel quick disconnect
-fuel filter
-fork seals (not leaking but with mileage)
-service the damper

She has no leaks, HID headlamp, everything works (radio not so well but its a BMW lol). I wrote a letter to the PO as I was unable to speak with him as I got this one from a friend at a car dealer. I am hoping to get some answers on service history.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to thesite Jeff. I agree with Katnappin - go with Spiegler SS braided brake hoses. Also you may want to check / adjust the valves if you don't find it's been done in the last 12-15k miles. Spark plugs too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks..
-rear brake lines

I plan on visiting our local BMW dealer Monday. I found a few receipts from them in the paperwork so I know some work has been done there.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Thanks..
-rear brake lines

I plan on visiting our local BMW dealer Monday. I found a few receipts from them in the paperwork so I know some work has been done there.
FYI; Most BMW dealers are closed on Mondays. :surprise:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I have been out of motorcycling for the last 6 years. I have had many H-D's, Honda's, 2002 RT-P, 2008 RT but this is my first ever K bike and I bought a project with 100k on the odometer. It appears to be mostly cosmetic but I was looking for any must do items that any of you feel you would do. I have a short list of a few mechanical necessitates I'm going to tackle over the next month before Michigan's riding season is in full bloom.

-complete fluid changes
-front tire (back is good)
-front brake lines
-all brake pads
-fuel quick disconnect
-fuel filter
-fork seals (not leaking but with mileage)
-service the damper

She has no leaks, HID headlamp, everything works (radio not so well but its a BMW lol). I wrote a letter to the PO as I was unable to speak with him as I got this one from a friend at a car dealer. I am hoping to get some answers on service history.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Welcome Jeff. What year is this beast and can you try and post a picture for us?

A service history goes a long way on these bikes especially in the areas of the clutch and clutch master cylinder as the seals in those areas can be troublesome. There is a troublesome O-ring sealing between the clutch basket and the main shaft that hardens and cracks causing leaks and clutch contamination. The community has decided that a Viton rather than the OEM Buna-N O-ring will provide better longevity and high temp resistance if you ever have to go in to do that job.

If you are going to do the front brake lines, do all of them. The OEM lines are rubber and disintegrate from the inside and can cause issues with the ABS system. Most put on Spiegler Stainless braided lines over replacing with stock and there is an LT kit with everything you need.

https://spieglerusa.com/

Make sure you go with the correct fuel filter as it is a high pressure system and i have heard of cheap filters bursting with non OEM and replace the rubber submersible lines while you have it out, not just the filter. It will save you grief later on as the ethanol now in fuels eats away and causes a failure inside the tank when the rubber line splits from degradation.

Pay careful attention to the gradoo on the final drive magnet when you change that. A fine powder sludge is fine but if you see any sparkles of larger bits then you may need to service that unit and at least replace the crown bearing. They fail in about 4% of the earlier bikes decidedly from over shimming at the factory. With 100K on the dial, if it was going to fail, it likely already has and may have had repair work done already. This is where the history also comes in handy.

Go watch all of Kirks videos. He has done a great job on lots of service and repair tasks. They are a must watch for new owners.
Maint./ Repair Videos

If you need to know about it, there is someone here that will likely have the answer. There is no better site on the planet for an LT owner so get her in shape and ride safely. :wave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oops.... its 2002. I think I've watched every one of Kirk's videos and Chuck Harris ones on you tube.

And you right I am kind of hoping that "IF" it had an O ring issue it would have been addressed by now with 100k. It has some stickers from the Dragon Tail, Curved Cowboy, BMW international on it and GPS had some saved east coast routes so I'm hoping the first owner was an active rider and took care of his equipment. The last PO only had it since 2011 and the plates and all paperwork indicated it hasn't been on the road since 2012.

I'm just not looking forward to all the tupperware removal....eerrrr

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
oops.... its 2002.
There is an upgrade for the throttle cables and a speedometer mod for the 2002 that is useful. With 100K, they may have been done on yours. If you see two cable guides coming out below the throttles it likely has the better cables. If the throttles are hard to move, then that's the problem. The Speedo mod takes an error out of the speedo. Check the technical articles here.
-Kent

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is an upgrade for the throttle cables and a speedometer mod for the 2002 that is useful. With 100K, they may have been done on yours. If you see two cable guides coming out below the throttles it likely has the better cables. If the throttles are hard to move, then that's the problem. The Speedo mod takes an error out of the speedo. Check the technical articles here.
-Kent
Thanks Kent...great tip I'll look at that after work today

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
oops.... its 2002. I think I've watched every one of Kirk's videos and Chuck Harris ones on you tube.

And you right I am kind of hoping that "IF" it had an O ring issue it would have been addressed by now with 100k. It has some stickers from the Dragon Tail, Curved Cowboy, BMW international on it and GPS had some saved east coast routes so I'm hoping the first owner was an active rider and took care of his equipment. The last PO only had it since 2011 and the plates and all paperwork indicated it hasn't been on the road since 2012.

Buy a small right angle electric screwdriver (shaped like a small drill motor), makes life easy. i use a Skil brand but any low power driver will do.

Robert

P.S.: I'm out in Columbus if you need a hand.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts

Removing all the Tupperware screws is not all that bad once you get used to it and find out where they all are like under the turn signals and such. The recommendation for a small battery screw driver is a good one, just remember they screws are aluminum and don't get torqued, just tightened.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The dealer out in Plymouth is open on Mondays, per there website. Nice store. Got a tire installed there last summer as I was headed down to Virginia.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The Tupperware isn't all bad. Just the first time you do it. After that. It really isn't that bad. You will find yourself timing how fast you can do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Kent I'm happy to report that it has the updated two cable throttle. I also spent some time at the local dealer and found it had a great service history. This bike was once owned by the owner of the dealer. So needless to say all the updates have been completed and it just had its full fluid service replacement this summer...this deal just got better!!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I use a piece of heavy cardboard with holes punched in it to keep track of all the screws. Some are shorter than others. Along with the fuel filter I'd change the hoses in the tank, too and I'd get them from BMW. Good luck.

Reactions: jdaniel
1 - 17 of 17 Posts