BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just joined, great site! I’m about to pick up an LT year 2004 tomorrow, I should have had it earlier but it had a rattle/banging underneath when I test rode it, so held off buying until fixed by the dealer.

The dealer says they have now changed the rear brake disc & rear tyre (tire :D) and it's smooth and fine, reading the forums it seems a common problem with rear brake disc…or is it rota for you guys? I’m looking forward to my first LT but I have got an S as well, so I’m familiar with the BMW brand.

Rob :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
2-K said:
Hi,

Just joined, great site! I’m about to pick up an LT year 2004 tomorrow, I should have had it earlier but it had a rattle/banging underneath when I test rode it, so held off buying until fixed by the dealer.

The dealer says they have now changed the rear brake disc & rear tyre (tire :D) and it's smooth and fine, reading the forums it seems a common problem with rear brake disc…or is it rota for you guys? I’m looking forward to my first LT but I have got an S as well, so I’m familiar with the BMW brand.

Hi Rob,

Lot's of good luck on your LT, it is a great motorcycle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bruce,

Thanks, off this morning to collect the LT and all being well should be a proud owner of a graphite LTSE by lunch time, I just hope the dealers idea of a smooth ride is the same as mine, otherwise there’ll be no deal…fingers crossed.

Hi cfell,

Thanks for explaining the rotor …roe-tore ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings Rob.

Welcome and enjoy riding your new beastie. You will find it is addictive.
Now, one thing...Don't be shy about telling us all here when you drop it OK! ;)

You might like to read up on the very special technique of lifting up a resting LT. Believe it or not...it's a one person operation.

Cheers and ride carefully.

Paul Harrington
AU

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Rob, Congratulations. Poke around in here and do a lot of reading. Tons of good info. Be safe and ENJOY!

Ray

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Paul,

thanks for the welcome. I picked her up literally today :eek: Yes, after many years of riding all sorts I had a bike lean over gently...Do I get a badge :p more about that later.

Hi Ray,

Thanks, your right about the info available and thanks to all you guys for putting so much into the site, one of best sites around for the LT…Maybe the only one I dunno, I looked no further after finding this one.

Anyway my LT.
Having checked all was ok paid the man the money and my son and I climbed on board, he hasn't been on a bike with me for many years and is now 16 years old and size of an adult, he was a little apprehensive but that soon went once we got rolling.

First serious impression, well forget any real power under around 3k rpm unless in first gear, but after that more than enough, not a problem for me though as I tend to ride with a free-revving engine anyway, probably a kick-back from my early two-stroke days.

Handling is not sports but then I have that already on my K1200S and wasn't expecting it, but I will say it holds the road well throughout corners without getting disturbed by any bumps etc that I encountered on a particularly rough surface the one time.

Brakes are very good, engine above 3k rpm is great, comfort is excellent although slightly let down by the seat I thought, but I soon learned the right position on the bike and relieved the discomfort. Son was happy on the back...who wouldn't be lets be honest.

Now my let down :rotf: I fuelled up at a garage and was going slowly downhill towards a junction, the camber/slope of the road was severe towards the gutter/sidewalk, at the junction I wanted to turn left and I was checking to my right and keeping an eye on the car in front that was waiting to move away, well he hesitated and stopped and I had to stop dead. With the downhill position and the lean of the road to my left the big girl just said I can't be bothered and I gently let down, both my son and I just stepped off and lifted her back up without little trouble or fuss, luckily for me there were no other vehicles behind or close by after Mr hesitation buggered of, so no real embracement either.

Overall, I’m glad in one way it went down, gives me more idea what I have to contend with and I always feel I learn more by experiencing things than being told or reading...so always a positive to made out of something like this.

Love the bike overall, cruise is a real bonus on motorways/highways, CD/Radio I’m surprised I could hear it with a full face helmet on, so much so that when I turned the CD on the volume was way up and actually made me jump, plenty of storage etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome Rob,

Sorry, you've had a not so good experience on the your first day of ownership!!

Re the situation you describe...I find the best way to deal with junction which have a marginal view on the approach is to treat the give-way as if it were a stop. The weight/turning issue is such that I don't feel its worth risking rolling up towards the line and dropping it when you're "surprised" by a vehicle coming into view on the main road.

It does take a bit more thought than a lighter bike!!

Enjoy it though,,,its a fantastic bike!

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts