BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody,

i have just bought a 2000 1200LT and i would like to know how difficult is to drive it.

i've read that going slow or low speeds it tends to fall if you break with a slighty turned wheel.

i would really appreciate any tips and suggestions you may have for a begginer.

thank you very much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the LT community from Chamaign, IL! I have an fairly new 05 owner and my understanding is that the center of gravity is a bit lower than your 00 LT. But, yes, you do have to be careful at parking lot speeds due to the weight, high center of gravity, and seat height (if you're not 6 foot plus). Having said that, 4 months of ownership and I have never come close to dropping her. I am only 5 '10, but I'm pretty careful with her and have been weight training most of my life. My best tips are to try and always accelerate through very slow turns (slight throttle smooths her out) and plan your turn before you even start moving plus keep your handlebars straight if you must brake at a slow speed. If you do drop it, just know that you will be in great company. It WILL stand back up. There is SO much useful knowledge on this forum. Use it.

Reactions: Barkaino

·
Registered
275 Posts
You're going to hear a dozen good tips from many members. Not the least of which is to maintain zero lean-angle at real slow speeds or she can take a nap, keep the forks straight when stopping, Be light on the front brakes when nearly stopped, watch for gravel, that stuff can compound any mistake you make. She's a pig in loose gravel.
And don't put your foot down in oil or grease at fuel stops.
If she's starting to fall, best thing to do is get clear and let her go. You won't be able to stop her.
Learn the proper way to pick her up from her nap if you don't already know.
Likewise for counter steering. If you don't already know.

Good Luck and Welcome on board.
Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was very apprehensive when I upgraded to my lt. (2006), as i read about them being top heavy. I've been riding it for 3 months now and have had zero issues with it. Just remember that when your making a very sharp turn at a very slow speed, that the front brake will lock if you hit them too hard.. I've learned that when i'm baking out of a parking spot or the garage, i don't turn the ignition on, therefore the power brakes don't work.. you can still break, but it won't lock up..
I'm 6'2" tall, so that might make a difference.
One other thing you might consider is taking off the top case. This takes about 35 lbs off the top, and it feels completely different. Once you get used to the bike, you can put it back on. It's very easy to do, and will take you about 5 to 10 minutes to take it off and on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Is this your first bike? If so I'd highly recommend that you take the Basic Rider Course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Pretty much all bikes will put you on the ground if you brake with the front wheel turned. Bikes can turn and stop, but they can't do both at the same time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my 05 2 years ago. Havent dropped it yet while riding but I did drop it at a dead stop in my yard. I agree, if she starts going down there's little you can do. I also agree that you take the Safety Foundation riders course. I did it and couldnt believe what I was able to do on the bike. Really upped my confidence level in a great way. Its free and available in most areas. Loving the bike, just gotta respect the power.

·
Registered
183 Posts
hi everybody,

i have just bought a 2000 1200LT and i would like to know how difficult is to drive it.

i've read that going slow or low speeds it tends to fall if you break with a slighty turned wheel.

thank you very much.
Plan your stops ahead of time so you can avoid using the front brake at speeds less than 20 mph and be very light on the rear brake below that. They are top heavy but nothing that can't be handled with some practice. Take it to a good empty parking lot and practice taking off, stopping (slow and panic), slow speed turns. These bikes are much more nimble then they look once you get the feel for them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome from Springfield, IL. I just bought my 01 LT two weeks ago and it is NOT like riding any other bike. From reading the posts, the RPM's to switch gears is much higher than I have ever experienced, she is a top heavy biotch, and slow turns definitely require a slow throttle to keep it moving. Take it out for small rides and enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear brake control at slow speeds is important. She's a beast, and rather tall. Requires a lot of focus when stopped or slow. When moving, however, she is very responsive and graceful - handles nearly as well as my sport touring bike, and is wayyy more suited to long distance. I'm 5'9", and I haven't dropped her yet. And the ride and performance quality more than make up for the low-speed challenges.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
hi everybody,

thank you very much.
You have received a range of responses already and I am not sure I can add much more. A lot depends on your prior experience, physique, skill, etc.

I was at first concerned after reading the horror stories here, but soon learned, that for me at least, they were irrelevant. I came from a heavy bike, Voyager XII, have 40+ years riding experience, and am 6' and 220 lbs.

I have owned my LT since new and have yet to drop it in 9 years and 54,000 miles. Yes, you have to get used to the dry clutch, too tall 1st gear and power brakes, but just as with cars, you don't drive a car equipped with PS and PB the same as you do an old car with manual steering and brakes.

I use my front brake in turns right up to zero speed. Not a problem. You just modulate the brakes appropriately. ANY bike will go down if you slam on the front brake while turning at slow speed. The solution, in my opinion, isn't to stop using the front brake, it is to not slam it on! With the LT, this just means using a lighter touch due to the servo assist.

Ride the LT correctly, and it easy to ride. Ride poorly and it will bite you. So will a Voyager, Wing, or Electra Glide. Lose your footing on gravel or oil with any 900 lb bike and it will get interesting. Focus your eyes 20 feet in front of the bike at low speed rather than 100-200 feet as you should and it is easier to lose your balance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try to put on 1000 miles or as much as you can to get used to the bike before going 2 up. After a few thousand miles, you and the bike will be one. And you will love it.
A 900 lb uniquely-styled sport touring bike equally capable of eating continents, curves and the occaisional harley davidson.:bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Try to put on 1000 miles or as much as you can to get used to the bike before going 2 up. After a few thousand miles, you and the bike will be one. And you will love it.
A 900 lb uniquely-styled sport touring bike equally capable of eating continents, curves and the occaisional harley davidson.:bmw:
Are you suggesting the two-mile test ride I took solo with the dealer salesman before taking my wife on a longer test ride was inadequate?

:grin:

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Are you suggesting the two-mile test ride I took solo with the dealer salesman before taking my wife on a longer test ride was inadequate?

:grin:
You mean I screwed up by flying to New York and buying the bike sight unseen and riding it back to Texas?

Robert

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thank you very much to everybody for the kind welcome and the tips!!

i know they will help me a lot!!

first step will be taking her to a big empty parking lot and practice a lot, then get confidene to ride it on the street.

i wish i could take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, but living in Mexico does not help much hehe.

i really appreciate all your help... i will keep you posted on my progress!!

muchas gracias!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was very apprehensive when I upgraded to my lt. (2006), as i read about them being top heavy. I've been riding it for 3 months now and have had zero issues with it. Just remember that when your making a very sharp turn at a very slow speed, that the front brake will lock if you hit them too hard.. I've learned that when i'm baking out of a parking spot or the garage, i don't turn the ignition on, therefore the power brakes don't work.. you can still break, but it won't lock up..
I'm 6'2" tall, so that might make a difference.
One other thing you might consider is taking off the top case. This takes about 35 lbs off the top, and it feels completely different. Once you get used to the bike, you can put it back on. It's very easy to do, and will take you about 5 to 10 minutes to take it off and on.
is it possible to take off the top case in every model? i thought about it at the begining, but i wasnt sure. they guy who sold it to me said it cant be removed. i will take a look on it this wknd.

i guess i wont needed it until im ready for a long trip, hopefully it wont take that long.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
is it possible to take off the top case in every model? i thought about it at the begining, but i wasnt sure. they guy who sold it to me said it cant be removed. i will take a look on it this wknd.

i guess i wont needed it until im ready for a long trip, hopefully it wont take that long.
Yes, the top case can be removed.

The 4 screws that hold it down are under the liner inside and that is held in by velcro. remove the support strap being careful to not let the top fall forward hard and then pull out the liner. There are some cables to disconnect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the top case can be removed.

The 4 screws that hold it down are under the liner inside and that is held in by velcro. remove the support strap being careful to not let the top fall forward hard and then pull out the liner. There are some cables to disconnect.
i really appreciate it!!!
i will try to take it off this wknd.

is it possible to remove the side cases? to get used to a lighter weight and later on add them?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts