BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
The new F800

Ah yes! BMW has finally invented the Universal Japanese Motorcycle. The question is, why? :confused:

·
Registered
265 Posts
K800s

I don't see the paralever front end in the photo. Also both photos hide the rear drive set-up. I don't want a BMW price and badge if it doesn't come with BMW safety and engineering.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
JetDoc said:
Ah yes! BMW has finally invented the Universal Japanese Motorcycle. The question is, why? :confused:
I do think BMW needs to expand its line. In addition to the "big bikes" they need smaller engine lower seat run abouts. My wife would like a smaller version of the RT for example say around 650-800cc for example. I thinke they need an upgrade path so you can start out on smaller bikes and work your way up the 1200cc bikes.
:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't like the looks at all!!
Probably just me but that engine just looks like a Briggs & Stratton hanging off the front. Even the Mono-tone Color of the engine bothers me.
And..It doesn't look like they used the Lever front, does it? Must have though, judging by the fork tube arrangement. Have to read more on that one.
I think the looks alone are going to kill sales for this bike. If they were looking to drive sales beyond BMW loyalists, I think they missed the mark. JMO...

·
IBR# 366
16,551 Posts
Funny, the motorcycle press is actually saying that this is the first new BMW that looks good in the photos, for a change.

I think that platform might make a decent middle weight adventure tourer, but then again I'm not looking for a middleweight sport bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
mwnahas said:
I do think BMW needs to expand its line. In addition to the "big bikes" they need smaller engine lower seat run abouts. My wife would like a smaller version of the RT for example say around 650-800cc for example. I thinke they need an upgrade path so you can start out on smaller bikes and work your way up the 1200cc bikes.
:)
The thing is, in today's market full of 2000CC+ motorcycles the current BMW 1200CC bikes are no more than midweights. An 800CC bike is not that much smaller. And if I can buy a Kawahonzuki 800CC motorcycle for less than half the price of the new BMW F800, then why would I even consider buying a BMW? Especially since all the unique and traditional features that made BMW motorcycles special seem to be missing from these new bikes.

The new Rotax designed 800CC engine may be technologically advanced, but the use of technology just for the sake of technology doesn't make a great deal of sense in a competative market place. If BMW is hoping for this new bike to help them capture a larger chunk of the motorcycle market in the USA, I think they'll be sadly disappointed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Right John.
Plus...I think the looks will make it just that much less apealling. Considering what Ken mentioned, I think the MC press has got it backwards. Am I the only one that thinks so?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts