BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the message boards here. I recently purchased a 2000 K1200LT. The bike is great.. I just have a couple of small questions that maybe some of you owners can help with.

Question 1:
My horn does not work. How can I troubleshoot this to see if it's the relay or horn or switch?

Question 2:
How do you change the light bulb in the Fuel Gauge?

Thanks and I look forward to your answers.

- Joe

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Welcome to the Board

Hi Joe,

Sorry, I can't help you with horn other than checking the fuses. If you use the SEARCH feature, you may find a post to help you.

As for the dashboard bulbs, there are five bulbs in all. You have to romeve the windshield and the cover to get at them. The same bulb on ny 03 has been out for over a year. I'm too lazy to take care of it.

Here is a link you may find intresting. One of the board members replaced the clear bulbs with red for better nightime vision. When I work up the ambition, I plan on doing the same:

Click here

·
Registered
297 Posts
These are the type bulbs I used to replace all my dash lights and I'm very pleased with the results. The new SMT bulbs are VERY bright compared to traditional LED's. They come in red, white, green, blue and amber. I chose white.
Here is a shot of my dash with the right side having the new LED's & the left the old incandescent bulbs.

If you go with LED's remember to check each one as you put it in to make sure the polarity is correct. If it doesn't light up turn it 180°.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Rick-L said:
These are the type bulbs I used to replace all my dash lights and I'm very pleased with the results. The new SMT bulbs are VERY bright compared to traditional LED's. They come in red, white, green, blue and amber. I chose white.
Here is a shot of my dash with the right side having the new LED's & the left the old incandescent bulbs.

If you go with LED's remember to check each one as you put it in to make sure the polarity is correct. If it doesn't light up turn it 180°.
Rick - did you change ALL 17 dash bulbs out to the LEDs? And you used ALL white ones? If so, then the bottom two rows of tell-tale lights use a different colored lens for each window - izzat right?? I wuz thinking of using different colored LEDs around the dash area, butt prolly don't need to.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I only replaced 8 of them Dick:
The 5 backlights, the 2 turn signal indicators, & the reverser light. All with white LED's. The rest of the idiot lights were too hard to reach with my fat fingers without further disassembly (just took off the windshield & cover). BTW mine is an '01.

I am considering doing the rest of them at a later date, if/when I tear further into it to do the speedo mod. Yes, each lens is a different color for the idiot lights. One could mix the colors up a bit too by, say, using a red bulb behind the yellow cruise indicator & make it kind of orange. That would dim the light a bit too, some of us seem to think that one is too bright anyway. Or just use the correct color for each.

The best light output is from the same color LED as the lens, otherwise the lens just filters out the other colors of the spectrum, dimming the light output overall. That is why for red brake lights you should use a red LED rather than white or an amber LED for the front turn signals.

Too bad they're not easier to get to, you could change the colors every now & then just to keep it fresh...

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I would NOT change the alternator charge light with LED. The alternator depends on the current through the bulb to "excite" the rotor (magnetize it), or charging will not begin when the engine is started. The LED uses much lower current, and may not excite the alternator on start up. The indicator light is not just an indicator, but a necessary part in the alternator circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 small questions

Thank you.Do you know where I can get information on how to troubleshoot my horn?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
joe1949 said:
Thank you.Do you know where I can get information on how to troubleshoot my horn?
One suggestion - check to see if your brake lights activate when you engage the brakes. If NOT, then it may be the horn, brake light, alarm fuse which is in the far right side (brake lever side) fuse box, and is the third from the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts