BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Been riding motorcycles for about 30 years and just purchased a 2003 K1200LT Excides with 6800 miles on it with all the bells and whistles. Rode it from Phoenix, NM to Austin, TX approx. 1200 miles. Ran great…got rained on allot and was surprised on how well it handled. Couple of questions for all you hard core BMW riders. I wanted to know about any gotchas that I might need to keep my eyes open for so I can keep it running perfect, (Example: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18993&highlight=2003+speedometer) One thing I noticed on my trip was that the speedometer is about + 6-8mh at least that’s what I figured after comparing it to the GPS. I’ve read some forums here and noticed that it’s not to much to worry about. But it would sure be nice not to add phantom miles onto my bike. Is it really that hard to make it read the right speed? One more thing I noticed is that my accelerator is really spring loaded…meaning its hard to hold when I accelerate but has absolutely no problem springing back to place…..interesting don’t you think? Thanks for al the help.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
There is a speedo-correction mod. Not hard, but time-consuming. Then again . . . "It ain't yours until you work on it." :p

As for your throttle, the cables probably need changed. There was a new version released sometime in '03-'04. You probably have the old ones. They were a bit stiff.

Any gotchas? Yea!...these bikes and forums are money pits!!! :D

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on the purchase. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cfell,
Is there a local forum that I can look at to plan weekend rides and such? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Fill out your PROFILE!

And yes, you gotcha one nice machine!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yes, on this site. Scroll down and find South Central. That will give you info about your area.

·
Registered
300 Posts
check that the mirrors are tethered to the bike. that's an expensive gotcha if one goes flying. welcome to the nut house!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Chip and exhaust

That will get ya.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Congrats on your new ride and welcome!

Too many topics that might be called gotchas to go into any detail here. Do searches on the following and you'll have more info than you wanted to know:
1) Headlights - upgrade to HID
2) OEM Windshield fogging and aftermarket windshields
3) Mirror tethers
4) Quick disconnects for fuel lines - plastic vs metal
5) Lowering footpegs and aftermarket pegs/rests for stretching your legs
6) Squealing brakes and aftermarket pads
7) Slave cylinder drain hole drilling
8) Final drive bearing failure
9) Blinking rear brake lights
10) Tires - characteristics of different brands and bias vs radial
11) Farkels!!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Welcome to the K riders

su_jumptd said:
Hello all,
Been riding motorcycles for about 30 years and just purchased a 2003 K1200LT Excides with 6800 miles on it with all the bells and whistles. Rode it from Phoenix, NM to Austin, TX approx. 1200 miles. Ran great…got rained on allot and was surprised on how well it handled. Couple of questions for all you hard core BMW riders. I wanted to know about any gotchas that I might need to keep my eyes open for so I can keep it running perfect, (Example: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18993&highlight=2003+speedometer) One thing I noticed on my trip was that the speedometer is about + 6-8mh at least that’s what I figured after comparing it to the GPS. I’ve read some forums here and noticed that it’s not to much to worry about. But it would sure be nice not to add phantom miles onto my bike. Is it really that hard to make it read the right speed? One more thing I noticed is that my accelerator is really spring loaded…meaning its hard to hold when I accelerate but has absolutely no problem springing back to place…..interesting don’t you think? Thanks for al the help.
With your riding experience you know what's up. Just read Joe's posts and then you'll be all set.....:) If you write more posts than Joe, you too qualify for the nut house.:rotf:

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
su_jumptd said:
Hello all,
Congrats and welcome to our little web site.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tailwheel said:
Tell me more
D
Dave: Farkles are the add-ons that we install on our LTs. PIAA lights, LEDs, cup holders, and so on (and on and on) are all farkles, as I understand it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Dave: Farkles are the add-ons that we install on our LTs. PIAA lights, LEDs, cup holders, and so on (and on and on) are all farkles, as I understand it.
Ah-yuh. Here's the Wikipedia "definition": Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkels), to customize their machine. The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle. One source attributes the term to Pete Wells, the organizer of a 1997 Honda ST1100 rally [1]. The term is well known in the North American sport touring community.

An enthusiast may be in the process of "farkling". The completed motorcycle would be all "farkled up". Radar detectors, Global Positioning System receivers, heated grips, and satellite radios are some of those farkles. Other accessories could be aftermarket seats or bar risers, which make the motorcycle more suitable for long miles.

The term Farkle apparently originated among the ST1100 riders. It is an acronym:

F.ancy
A.ccessory
R.eally
K.ool &
L.ikely
E.xpensive

From the 2 Wheel Innovations web site:

Farkle:

N: An Accessory intended to improve or embellish the original system; opulent luxury item;
V: to add pleasure or comfort; to strut about after adding additional items to stock unit thus improving value or performance, usually saying "whoo-hoo" loudly to yourself or your neighbors.

As defined by the ST1100 owners' club, a farkle is:

1. (Noun) any modification to one's motorcycle.
2. (Verb) the act of modifying one's motorcycle in some way.

Farkles may have functional or merely aesthetic value, or in fact no value whatsoever! To farkle is to expand one's connection to the motorcycle, to enhance its uniqueness, and provide a venue for personalization."

What I find so astonishing about this site is the number of people who invent their own farkels or construct something that is as good as or better than a commercial aftermarket product. Beware: farkels are endless money drains, and they become addicting!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kinda bummed out......

All,
Thanks for all the replies on all these issues I need to look out for. I have started investigating all of them just to cover by butt. Although I did come across a really disappointing issue. My rear trunk latch broke......gees I guess we have to handle these bikes with kid-gloves. After all the great stuff I've heard about this bike :histerica I'm kinda "bummed out". I looked around the forums and came across this post:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11708&highlight=rear+trunk+handle+broke

Which talked about the issue I just came across but the replacement part runs approx. $350.....dang. Is there some kind of recall on this manufacture defect, I mean besides paying for this defect myself? I mean something other then paying hard earned money for manufacturer inadequacies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry RonKMiller: I ment to say BMW K1200LT-E which stands for Elite Model "with" Exodus package, meaning all the nicest goodies factory installed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Be sure when stopping to always put the bike in gear & roll it forward to take out the drive line lash after shutting down the engine. Then put the side stand down. Twice I've caught my bike from rolling off the sidestand. Next time I probably won't be able to hold it.........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watch the side stand setting, got it.

niel_petersen said:
Be sure when stopping to always put the bike in gear & roll it forward to take out the drive line lash after shutting down the engine. Then put the side stand down. Twice I've caught my bike from rolling off the sidestand. Next time I probably won't be able to hold it.........
Got it, I've noticed that already so I'm really careful when putting the bike on the side stand. Not to mention I'm still getting used to the weight, a couple of times I've gone past the center of gravity safe zone "so to speak" and wrestled getting back centered. Won't do that again. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts