BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in N. Calif. and looking at a 2006 K1200lt, fully loaded. The sticker price is $22,900, but I'm curious as to a fair true market value for this bike. Can anyone help with a fair out the door price?
I used to ride years ago (in my youth), and my wife just said it was OK for me to get a new bike again!
Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this, but my suggestion for you would be to buy a smaller bike first, like a Kawasaki Concours or Honda ST11/13, ride it for a couple of months and get familiar with riding again before spending a lot of money on an LT. I just bought myself one, and even after riding sportbikes for 30 years it was still intimidating to get on a big bike like this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Explain what fully loaded includes...GPS, CB, Intercom, 8-cd player If So that is a good deal !! I paid more for mine...Too much more ....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
hagar said:
You probably don't want to hear this, but my suggestion for you would be to buy a smaller bike first, like a Kawasaki Concours or Honda ST11/13, ride it for a couple of months and get familiar with riding again before spending a lot of money on an LT. I just bought myself one, and even after riding sportbikes for 30 years it was still intimidating to get on a big bike like this.
Or pick up a used one. There are some really good buys on used LTs out there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree with the advice to try a used one. There's some very nice ones available for around 10 grand. May take a bit of patience to find a mint one, Pre-owned LTs of any year seem to always be scarce around here (NJ) no matter if its riding season or "off" season.

I too, rode many years ago, and about 6 years ago got back into it with a R1200C and also rode police Harleys. Recently went with an R1150, then very recently to the K1200LT. Even after all that transition, its still a BIG ride to me. Not in a bad way, just takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Buy Used

bmarvin16 said:
I'm in N. Calif. and looking at a 2006 K1200lt, fully loaded. The sticker price is $22,900, but I'm curious as to a fair true market value for this bike. Can anyone help with a fair out the door price?
I used to ride years ago (in my youth), and my wife just said it was OK for me to get a new bike again!
Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you at the start of this year and decided on the used 02.
Glad I did :)
Within the first 2 months of riding the big girl she fell over twice while parking. :eek:
She is very top heavy bu at parking lot speeds.
No major damage just cosmetic to the mirror which fell off and the engine guards. Would have been a real bummer with a new bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with all the comments above. I have a very similiar experience as George. After 3 years and 5 different bikes, I bit off a 2005 LT. I love the bike and have no trouble handling it but am keenly aware that she is big. She can throw me if she wants ;). I would recommend going with an older used one. I bought my 05 fo 15k with only 6k miles (loaded 6 cd, backrest, 2 shields, intercom system). I wouldn't buy new (for me) unless it was the only way to get what I wanted.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just bought one, and can tell you that here in the southeast and late in the model year that you can get a pretty piece off sticker...and a free GPS to boot. By the time I did the math, including the stuff that is on the current '06s that is not std on the '05s (Xenon light, intercomm, alarm, heated seats, rack, and convenience pkg), the 2006 with 36 months of warranty ahead of me did not look like a bad deal. However I learned a long time ago that things don't cost the same in N Cal as they do in Florida (used to live out there)...so you may come up with a different answer there.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
bmarvin16 said:
Thanks!
Thats to much money for a bike that is already a year old.
You can find a better deal if you look
Rock

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Maybe he should offer the dealer 50% of sticker price, right Rock? :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
bmarvin16 said:
Thanks!
Beemers are great bikes, the K1200LT has virtually no equals in engineering and touring performance. I enjoy mine immensely.
I have to agree with another poster, buy a smaller bike first.
I'd even go smaller than a liter bike. Maybe a 600cc 4 cylinder. Get used to riding - it's a dangerous world out here. A smaller bike will help your reflexes and increase your learning curve. You could then buy a new 2006 or 2007 BMW after Christmas, before New Year's. I bought my 2006 then, at a 12% discount off of sticker and it had every option available. At that time, I could have bought a new gold colored 2005 for 16,500. I wanted to go with a 2006, though (I didn't want that yellow gold color). I've since added a HID high beam, BRAKE! taillight and Motolites. Each addition has been made to increase visibility (for me to be seen and for me to see). One last piece of advice, shop by phone, nationally and then, be sure to give your local dealer a chance to make a similar deal with you before you buy one at a distance...
Make good choices and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
meese said:
Maybe he should offer the dealer 50% of sticker price, right Rock? :D
Don't be a dick thats my job :rotf: )
The bike is not used it is new but still 1 year old. There are people on this list that have saved large chunks off the list price when the bike didn't sell and the new ones came. So why should he be their guppy? :eek:
Of course I don't live in that country, things are differant there, in Mexifonia!
Rock

·
Registered
713 Posts
You didn't say how long ago you rode or what size bike you used to ride... Did you ride daily or just weekends??
There i nothing wrong with coming back to riding on an LT... But if you were riding big bikes already then the LT ain't that big of a deal....

And dick err Uncle Rock is right, the 07's are out in a matter of days,,, let one come in to the dealer and he may make you a better deal...

Isn't the GPS a free option right now?? Thats a good discount in its self...

Anyway I quit riding for 10 years went straight to the LT, a smaller bike never crossed my mind................Regards Pete

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
A dealer told me today they've been allocated their first two '07 LTs. So no big changes yet. I guess we'll have to wait until '08 after all. :(

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
I disagree there. I bought an '02 Connie after riding a '99 LT for a couple of years (moved back to the US and couldn't take the old LT, bought a house and couldn't afford a new LT). It's a good bike, but nowhere near the same league as the LT. It was great for commuting through L.A. traffic but just not really fun to ride, nor comfortable two-up. When my wife and I started choosing the car for weekend trips over the bike, I knew it had to go. I got a great end-of-year deal on an '02 LT, traded in the Connie, and never looked back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts