BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the place or not, but I thought I would introduce myself. I am a new BMW owner but not a new rider, I just bought an 01' K1200LTC. I plan to use it mostly for commuting to work but hope in the future to take some trips with my wife, my children are a little to young for me to leave at home right now. This is my first touring bike and I love it so far. Look forward to learning some new stuff here.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Welcome aboard!

For questions, do lots of searches... also, read the "Hall of Wisdom"... found under the "Technical" heading near the top of each screen. It will save you lots of time. That is the best place to "begin".

If you come up with specific questions, ask folks for help searching...

With "little ones" around home, you should have time to do lots of "research" here... =)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome! While I've been too busy to do much posting here for a while, I'm back. The wealth of information here is invaluable, and the people are great. Enjoy!

Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome.
What I find helpful is the home page, left side of the page about half way down there are links under Got Questions. Lots of useful stuff with those links. Welcome again and enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome, David. Great bunch of folks here. Most questions have already been answered somewhere here, but if you don't find it, just ask. Someone will likely have an answer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
welcome to the zoo, all types of animals in here but none bite, just help :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome.

I commute daily on my LT and it takes a while to get used to but the more you ride it, the more you love it.

Tips for a new owner from me would be

Always treat the LT with respect at low speed and always try and brake when the front wheel is aligned with the back.

Make sure you have cable ties or cables attaching the wing mirrors should one get a knock (they are expensive).

Check your tyre pressures regularly.

Get a battery conditioner to make sure your battery is always in good shape.

Other than that - just ride the bike and enjoy it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome and Howdy from Texas.....

This is a great site with alot of friendly , helpful , knowledgable folks . Your going to love the LT , I know I love mine after almost a year and ~4500 miles so far.

I , too have young kids and the wife and I dont get to do too many trips but the ones we do have been spectacular.

Enjoy..... :bmw:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome. Yesterday morning I got my first lay down out of the way :mad: I recently re-rocked my drive and it has not settled yet so it's still uneven. I pulled out of my shed and put the kickstand down and when I was about half way off the bike rolled forward in a divot and rolled off the stand, all i could do was slow it down on it's way over. The funny thing is I told the dealer how light the bike felt when I rode it, I would now like to take that statement back. These things are HEAVY, I finally put my back to the machine and grunted it up that way. At least it didn't cause any damage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome.... my fellow "Iowegian"! Enjoy the site, tons of info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought my first BMW and touring bike, like you a 2001 K1200LT which I also use for commuting. Unlike you our kids are grown so we have the freedom to take those longer trips as soon as spring arrives in the NW.
Great bike, an ox in a parking lot but I've noticed it prefers to be leaned over rather than vertical when moving.

bowsandreels...does reels refer to a fishing interest?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
David,

Welcome to this site. You're going to love it as much as you will your LT.

Lots of good info here from good people on about any topic.

I've never seen a site like it. Enjoy! :bmw:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OldRed said:
bowsandreels...does reels refer to a fishing interest?
Yeah, archery and fishing are the two hobbies I've done the longest, and I'm too lazy to come up with a new screen name for every forum I join.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome! I've had my LT for a little over a year now, and the wealth of info from these guys is awesome! Thanks to the people on this site, I've been able to maintain my bike BETTER, I feel, than the boys at BMW.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is a good short video of how to pick up an LT here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome. You not only have one of the best bikes around you have also joined a community of great people as well. Lots of knowledge here and everyone willing to share what they know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts