BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Iowa. I purchased an 05 K1200LT today that has a bit less than 7000 miles. This is my first BMW after having Ventures, Goldwings, Voyagers, Harley Touring, Road Stars, and numerous other bikes. Hopefully this is a great bike for me. My only concern is the cramped position of my legs. The BMW is a beauty. The only thing wrong is the center stand issue. Motor clicks but that's it. The weather is still a bit cool in Iowa so it will be awhile before I can start riding. I look forward to being on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on the Web. Take a look around at the resources you have at your finger tips. Under the forums drop down is one called Technical files, you need to review those. Under tools is another technical area with likes to files and Hall of Wisdom. Then start asking questions, someone knows the answer.

As for your center stand issue there are a few things that could be an issue. It sounds like the motor isn't turning so it could be as simple a the connector needs to be reseated. There is ground wire that corrodes and that would cause your issue. Do a search for other issues and solutions. Until you pull it out take a look you won't know.
HTH

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Welcome from Buford GA!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
Welcome aboard Mark. Don't fret the center stand issue I have a very low cost fix compared to the dealers $1,200 bill. The units are fully rebuildable and often a non functioning motor just has a corroded ground screw in side the motor. Will share more when you are ready.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. I don't know your inseam, but for my leg comfort (32" inseam) on long hauls, the Mick-o-Pegs work very well. Can put in a dozen hrs in the saddle with no leg issues. The mick-o-pegs are a different animal. Reminds me of a grasshopper leg. Only drawback is you have to get off them when riding too tight of a sweeper curve. But great leg extension.

You're definitely in the right forum for technical expertise. The best LT wrenchers around are right here.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome Mark from Scotland, hope you enjoy your stay:laugh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your looking for a little bit more length for your legs I fitted Floorboards to My LT. I got them from the USA over eBay and they are very comfortable. The seller can do standard size or lower down for longer legs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice and welcome. I bundled up today and took a 50 mile ride. I love how it handles and how smooth the bike is. I have some things to do. I will get floorboards that are lower and highway pegs. Need to fix the right heated grip. Center stand will be tackled later. For some reason the seat is ripping like it is rotted. This bike has less than 7000 miles so that's confusing! I bought it right so I can do some things. I'm going to hang onto my Electra Glide until I'm sure it fits right for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Send that seat to Russell and have them build you a day long saddle!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will find an array of information here. In fact, I just went through my first challenge during an oil change, but this group was able to put me back at ease!

Enjoy your new ride. You will never go back to anything else.

Love your bike, and ride safe.

Jerry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
787 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you own a LT then you came to the right place. A 05 LT with 7000 miles is almost to few miles and depending on how it was stored that can be worst than lots of miles. Unless the bike was started and regularly ridden with proper preventative maintenance to change out brake fluids and oil etc. it could have internal issues due to condensation and rust. Lets hope not and also hope you received the maintenance records showing the bike gained its mileage steadily over the past 11 years with maintenance being done. What concerns me is that you say the seat is rotting which may indicate it was stored outside or in less than good conditions. I would make sure all the fluids are changed especially the complete brake flush and put on new Spiegler brake lines concurrent with the flush. The bikes are fantastic machines but have to be maintained to avoid costly problems down the road.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum. If you own a LT then you came to the right place. A 05 LT with 7000 miles is almost to few miles and depending on how it was stored that can be worst than lots of miles. Unless the bike was started and regularly ridden with proper preventative maintenance to change out brake fluids and oil etc. it could have internal issues due to condensation and rust. Lets hope not and also hope you received the maintenance records showing the bike gained its mileage steadily over the past 11 years with maintenance being done. What concerns me is that you say the seat is rotting which may indicate it was stored outside or in less than good conditions. I would make sure all the fluids are changed especially the complete brake flush and put on new Spiegler brake lines concurrent with the flush. The bikes are fantastic machines but have to be maintained to avoid costly problems down the road.

Good Luck.
Thanks,, I'll do a good check over. As far as I know it was inside.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Welcome to this outstanding site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had an opportunity to do a couple of short rides as the weather in Iowa has been pretty good. Bought a set of lower floor boards off eBay and that helps a ton. So far, I'm enjoying the ride!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts