BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
my name is Nick, and a few days ago I traded a non-running FXR, for a 2001 BMW 1200LT.
GREAT TRADE!
You all sound very nice, and encouraging with every post I have read, trying to come to at least a novice understanding of the maintenance, and mechanical requirements of owning a BMW.
Although I'm new to BMW, I have been riding for about 26 years, many makes and models, but mostly pre-twin-cam Harleys.
I have owned, and fixed everything from a Benelli, Suzuki GT380, 2 different Goldwings, and many other imports over the years, but my passion has been 2 iron-head sporties, both a generator shovel, and a cone shovel, a softail, and Electra-glide, and recently an FXR that was demon possessed.
Now I'm a bit older, and wanting to rebel, once again, against the accepted culture of current times, I prayed for another, DEPENDABLE, bagger and God sent me a 2001 K1200LT.
As I am brand new to this bike and BMWs as a whole, I have a few questions, so, with your help, lets get started:
88K, and she looks nearly new, runs pretty good.
I checked the motor-oil, coolant, and final-drive fluid levels and all are fine.
I was concerned about the final-drive because I'm hearing a bunch of stories in this group about issues with the final-drive, so checking I found the fluid to be new and red. No leaking, but as it seems to have been changed recently the bike might have been cleaned prior to my getting her, so I'll keep an eye out for leaking as I put miles on her.
1) My literature, which came with the bike when it was new, says to top off the transmission oil to the top of the fill-hole, but where is the fill-hole?
2) Even though the front and rear brake-pads look with-in service limits, the rear rotor is grooved, and the ABS lights are flashing. Any suggestions on how to diagnoses the ABS lights?
3) I read something here about adding hydraulic-oil to the rear shock adjuster, which I found under the seat. Any advice on this topic?
4) I have heard that a little bit of preemptive service will stave off catastrophic failure, so what preemptive maintenance do you suggest?
Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions, and thanks for a welcoming community.
Nick. T.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Hi, Nick - welcome aboard. You got some enjoyable time coming up with a great two-wheeler. And here you'll find answers that have been accumulated over the 14 years since these fine machines arrived. I have a coupla suggestions for you - the first being; grab a Clymers shop manual for your year model LT. Amazon is a good source - bout $40 bones or close. It'll have lots of key info, plus will include an elec/wiring harness section. Then of course, read, read, and more read thru the forums here. Don't hesitate to fire off a question - somebody will have an answer. And as you know from your wrenching history, getting up close and personal with the LT is a major factor in enjoyment of it. Best always, and congrats on the 18 year clean.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Welcome Nick,
The Trans fill hole is behind the riders right side foot peg mounting plate. The ABS light will stay on till you ride about 10 to 15 feet the turn off. If it is still on after that it could be as easy as one of the two reservoirs are low. One on the right handle bar the other under the rear seat on the right side of the frame. The rear shock adjuster is easy just twist the adjustment all the way out. Unbolt the adjuster & turn upside down. Remove the banjo bolt from the line & move out of the way. Using hydraulic jack oil fill the adjuster then put everything back together. With 88K the shocks will be shot but this will help some.
As fas a maintenance goes just change engine oil, trans & finial drive oil every 6K. Flush radiator & brakes ever 2 years Always check the oil drain plugs on everything for any signs metal. Light fuzz is OK.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hello,
my name is Nick, and a few days ago I traded a non-running FXR, for a 2001 BMW 1200LT.
GREAT TRADE!
You all sound very nice, and encouraging with every post I have read, trying to come to at least a novice understanding of the maintenance, and mechanical requirements of owning a BMW.
Although I'm new to BMW, I have been riding for about 26 years, many makes and models, but mostly pre-twin-cam Harleys.
I have owned, and fixed everything from a Benelli, Suzuki GT380, 2 different Goldwings, and many other imports over the years, but my passion has been 2 iron-head sporties, both a generator shovel, and a cone shovel, a softail, and Electra-glide, and recently an FXR that was demon possessed.
Now I'm a bit older, and wanting to rebel, once again, against the accepted culture of current times, I prayed for another, DEPENDABLE, bagger and God sent me a 2001 K1200LT.
As I am brand new to this bike and BMWs as a whole, I have a few questions, so, with your help, lets get started:
88K, and she looks nearly new, runs pretty good.
I checked the motor-oil, coolant, and final-drive fluid levels and all are fine.
I was concerned about the final-drive because I'm hearing a bunch of stories in this group about issues with the final-drive, so checking I found the fluid to be new and red. No leaking, but as it seems to have been changed recently the bike might have been cleaned prior to my getting her, so I'll keep an eye out for leaking as I put miles on her.
1) My literature, which came with the bike when it was new, says to top off the transmission oil to the top of the fill-hole, but where is the fill-hole?
2) Even though the front and rear brake-pads look with-in service limits, the rear rotor is grooved, and the ABS lights are flashing. Any suggestions on how to diagnoses the ABS lights?
3) I read something here about adding hydraulic-oil to the rear shock adjuster, which I found under the seat. Any advice on this topic?
4) I have heard that a little bit of preemptive service will stave off catastrophic failure, so what preemptive maintenance do you suggest?
Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions, and thanks for a welcoming community.
Nick. T.
Nick, welcome! Please fill out your location info as i as sure that a member here is close to you and willing to help you out.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,782 Posts
Nick, welcome! Please fill out your location info as i as sure that a member here is close to you and willing to help you out.

Robert
This appears to be another "feature" of the Web Site. He has filled in his location in the "about me" area but it no longer populates in the thread header. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This appears to be another "feature" of the Web Site. He has filled in his location in the "about me" area but it no longer populates in the thread header. Bummer.
WOW, John. What else are we missing with all these new "features"?

Is there any chance the tech files will ever work again? This is very unsettling to me. I do not wish to lose this info. Who or what is responsible for this state of events? Is there anything we can do?

A very concerned Robert.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left to pay the mortgage, took a wrong turn, and it took 127 miles to find my way home.
I think I love my new bike!
I KNOW I'm God's favorite......
The hardest part of the whole ride was deciding if I like to look over, or thru, the windshield.
Dick, I'll have a manual soon. Generally the first thing I get with a new bike.
Thanks for the info katnapinn, I'm going to check my brake fluid shortly.
Scouter-50, I'm in Yuba-County, California, about 45 miles north of Sacramento.
Thanks Ya'll for the kind, helpful words.
Time to rummage up some grub.
Hugs..........

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
The lame excuse I got from the server staff wuz that someone might not want their location displayed, therefore anybody who comes on board since the decision wuz made to not show it, will not have their location shown in their posts. My answer to that is - don't fill in that item on your UserCP if you don't want your location shown on the forum posts. Displaying location info on a post can many times be quite useful in follow up replies to members seeking help or advice. More important than the number of posts, for example - or a miniature avatar!! Sheesh! (Apologies for thread hi-jack).

·
Registered
787 Posts
The lame excuse I got from the server staff wuz that someone might not want their location displayed, therefore anybody who comes on board since the decision wuz made to not show it, will not have their location shown in their posts. My answer to that is - don't fill in that item on your UserCP if you don't want your location shown on the forum posts. Displaying location info on a post can many times be quite useful in follow up replies to members seeking help or advice. More important than the number of posts, for example - or a miniature avatar!! Sheesh! (Apologies for thread hi-jack).
Dick,
The other issue is that when I moved and I tried to change my location and there is no edit icon next to "Location", in the about me info column. I was able to edit the town and state but when I post it still shows the old town of Dover as location. I guess the edit icon was removed since they do not show Location anymore. You should still be able to at least change the old location even though it won't show so I can get the wrong location off when I post.

Also sorry for the continued hi-jack,
Congrats on the new bike you will love it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome Nick. I too am new to BMW and just passed my five thousand mile mark on my Beemer. Awesome machine and I have been smiling since since this past May.
Also, the location never showed for me now I know why. I added it to the signature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts