BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an HJC full face 2 years ago based upon input from the knowledgable salesman. It has been OK up to 40 minutes into a ride. After that the front upper padding tends to impress into my bald dome causing tremendous discomfort to the point that I become too distracted to ride.
Any one care to weigh in with their opinion. I currently have no preferences to brand, budget, as always will be a factor.
Any where I can see the interior of various helmets online?
Thanks for all of your assistance in advance.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The SO & I both have Nolan N102 & love them. My head is more oval shaped then round & the N102 fits very good. I have rode 1000 mile days and over 16 hours. I looked at the Nolan N90 the other day but it was too round for me.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Try to locate the points (hot spots) where it hurts and possible reduce some of the padding. I did that with my helmet around the ears and that made all the difference. Just a little too much pressure in the wrong place, over time, can be quite uncomfortable.

Just my opinion, reducing a little foam or padding will not effect the safety of the helmet in a significant way.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Find a dealer that will work you, my dealer ordered every helmet in my size, Tried them on and made a choice, not sure what he did with the rest, may have sent them back.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My bride and I both have Scorpion helmets with the retractable shield and love em. (can't remember the model)I bought mine on line and it is too big, needs a little extra padding, but very comfortable. We bought hers at the dealer and tried on the different sizes till we found the one that was comfortable. I would not buy one on line again (boots neither). You really need to fit them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Shark Evoline. It's a full modular with the ability to go from full face to open face without having to remove anything. Super comfortable with a built in sun visor (no more sunglasses required).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
we can make recommendations all day long, but the ONLY way to get a good fit is to...try some on

If you have an oval head shape, you might want to try the new bell "revolver" modular--I picked one up to replace the Bell Star that I, uh, customized in a lowside a few weeks ago. All of the features of the super-high end modulars, drop-down internal sunshade, etc, and was only $209 (yes, $209).

A great source for info on internal shape, with pictures and objective reviews is www.webbikeworld.com, another is www.helmetharbor.com, both have excellent reviews, pictures and many VIDEOS.

Again, the ONLY way to get a reliable, smart fit is to try one on, walk around in the shop for ten-fifteen minutes (yeah, you'll feel silly, but a lot LESS silly than spending a few hundred dollars and getting a helmet that you later can't wear), and making sure it doesn't have pinch spots.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The SO and I both wear Scorpion EXO400 full face helmets. We have worn them for a couple seasons and find them very comfortable. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I read an online article about helmets and discovered some helmet makers use one size shell and the liner and padding determine weather the helmet is small or x-large. The Scorpion EXO models use different size shells for different sized helmets. Also the Scorpions come with a fog proof shield that REALLY is fog proof, don't know what they do to them, but it sure works. This is just my opinion, I have no affiliation with Scorpion nor any other helmet manufacturer.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had an "inexpensive" flip front helmet for a couple of years, same problem as you described, it would start to press in the front of my skull and eventually start to burn. My wife also had problems because the helmet set so low on her head, it was difficult for her to turn her head with her leather jacket on while seated on the back of the bike. When I sold the GL1800 I included the helmets because of the intercom, and because we really werent happy with them. I got such a great deal on the LT, I took my wife to the MC shop and we tried on helmets. She loved the Nolan N102, and I liked it too. We have been riding for a couple of years with the nolans, and they have proved to be very comfortable for us. I have not had any of the problems with discomfort while wearing for long periods of time. I would recommend you give them a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the Nolans for awhile now. The flip front seems like a good idea. I will attempt to "customize" the HJC as described. I have an ancient Bell that fits great but is a drag race SA certified helmet not M certified. I have seen the result first hand of the wrong helmet used in the wrong place. The wife gave the go ahead for a proper fitting brain bucket so off I go into the nether world.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I tried quite a few on before I found one that fit my head.

When brand new it was a little tight, but gradually conformed to my head.

It's now around 8 years later--time to look for a new one for this summer's riding.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
If one of you fellers wanna great deal on a great helmet, I've got one over in the classified forum right here. It's a size small, which most of you folks prolly don't have as a head size!! :histerica Been jockeying around with the price, so I'll handle UPS shipping to the lower 48 for one more 'adjustment' to $200 and I'll leave the headset intact, along with the other parts listed. Remember now - this is a size small. You oughta try one on in that size, locally, if you can. HJC Symax II.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
For riding two-up, my better half and I are very pleased with our N43 Trilogy N-Com configured helmets. Can work with our Bluetooth iPhone, iPod, integrates with our VOICE II, etc.

P.S. I see you must own a '68 Pontiac GTO - I had one of those, too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The current GTO is a 69, but I had a 68 ragtop a few years ago as well. This one has a late model LSX series engine with a Magnacharger and a 4L60E trans. I live in the Hot-Rod world as my day job.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
We have HJC SyMax II's. My melon is pretty much melon shaped and the helmet fits well. Love the modular aspect (glasses) and the drop down sunglass thingey.

I had a tire mounted at a shop and the guy cut me a deal on the helmet. A very good deal. Went back 2 months later and bought the matching helmet for the same price I got mine for. Funny, they are out of business now.

Loren

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
We have the Nolon 102s and really like them, though that Shark is really cool and may be my next one. Best advise is to go to a Motorcylce superstore and try them all on. That's what we did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A lot of good comments for an item that is a very personal fit. We've, trusty sidekick and I, have worn a number of different brands (Bell, HJC, Shoei and Nolan). The absolute most important thing is to make sure it fits and will be conmfortable as you have noticed. We have Nolan N103s that we ordered through Sierra Electronics. I didn't want to install the headsets again. We tried them on in the store but neglected to secure the face portion when we tried them on. When we got them and did that they were way too tight. Sierra took them back and gave us the next size which is also the largest that Nolan makes the 2X. Super customer service! These fit better but I still had to recess the headsets more for comfort. The Nolan 103 is by far the noisiest flip front/full face helmet I have ever worn. Ventilation is not bad. The liner comes out totally for cleaning but the left snap pin to secure the cheek piece keeps popping out. The integrated sun shade is great. Bottom line is keep trying them until you get one that does what you want and fits properly. It should be snug as it will loosen over time. I replace mine every three years because it wears out. The spouse's lasts twice as long. Manufacturers recommend 3-5 year replacement cycles. Yes they want to sell more helmets, but helmet design and materials and composition improve all the time making a good deal to swap out periodically. If it gets dropped inspect the shell for cracks and or spiderwebs. If it has these replace it because the shell will fail.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I'll second the Nolan 103 as being noisy. I had the 102 and really liked it except that the finish started to peal off. The company traded it +$100 for a new 103 and I was really disappointed. The 102 was quite a bit quieter.

I've got a Scorpion flip and it's as noisy as the Nolan 103. Fits well and has some nice features, but noisy. Looking forward to trying the new Schuberth.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't be afraid to do a bit of carving everyones head is a little different, unless you get lucky and find one that fit's well you'll have to do a bit of adjustment. I have the 103 and it required some dremel love to adjust it so it fits like a glove. And just for the record the Nolan 103 is a noisy beast looking forward to trying something different just not sure what.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts