BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use the following discount code at HarborFreight.com -- INSURE20 -- for 20% off any item. They also have $6.99 flat rate shipping on most everything, excludes humongous stuff that has to ship by truck.

They also have a printable coupon you can take to your local store.

Looking for one of their lift tables or other goodies? Might be a good time to save a few bucks!

I just ordered a small 4x4-ish trailer for under $160 delivered. Reg 219.99 + full ship, on sale for $189 + 6.99 ship. Going to cut the cross pieces and narrow it a bit, then mount my low profile Yakima rooftop box on it. Woo, hoooo! Finally have a use for that $500 box I bought on a whim!

DISCLOSURE: I have ZERO affiliation with Harbor Freight except as an occasional customer. I am sharing this info for the SOLE purpose of helping someone else save a buck if they can.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I had a plan to turn one of the larger Yakima or Thule boxes into a solo Mark IV "Spock space coffin" camper using a HF trailer as a base. It would unfold up to a 45 degree angle from the side like a clam shell for easy entry and general camping use - and have velcro and zipper mounted rip stop nylon sides with large clear vinyl windows and screens. A clear lexan viewing dome mounted on top would be perfect for scoping out things if woken from hibernation. Going to rain or blow REALLY hard?

...just lower the top part of the shell. :D

At 7.6 feet long, 36" wide and 18" tall it might be a bit claustrophobic, but emerging early morning with some wax fangs in place would surely clear the way to first in line for the camp ground bathroom.

Snug as a bug in a rug! :p

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had not thought about the camper potential, Ron. Of course roughing it to me is Holiday Inn Express... I get enough bugs riding all day and/or all night. Do not need them when I am trying to sleep!

The Yakima photon torpedo casing I have is only about 6' long, so it would not work for me, anyway. :rolleyes:

Ended up canceling the order and getting a nice aluminum trailer package... By the time I had modded the HF trailer to accommodate the length of the Mark IV, including changing out the draw bar, narrowing and lengthening the frame, the only thing remaining would have been the axle, hubs, and leaf springs. Expensive price for this parts, and one v-e-r-y long and low trailer behind the bike. We had some safety concerns about that. Came down to a game of Rock/Paper/Scissors/Lizard/Spock to decide which way to go, and Suzanne won! :histerica

If you need a Mark IV, I will make you a deal!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts