BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I'm new to this forum. I've owned a few BMW's,. GSA's to be exact. I have traveled all over the country and have rented RT's to do 2 up riding with the spouse. Been through a lot of northern California, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Canada and all through the south east including the Dragon. Wife got tired of 2 uping on the GSA so we purchased the RT. I am in the process of breaking it in now and one thing I have noticed is the seat is going to be sucking here in short order. Just like the rentals. My question is have any of you guys tried the Sergeant seat? I had a Russel day long on my GSA and it's a great seat for me but the wife says it's too slippery for her. Plus the Russel seat is butt ugly IMHO. It didn't matter so much on the GSA as it's ugly anyway. I just hate to mess up the good lines of the RT and the Sergeant looks so nice. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I find that this is a difficult topic as everyone's has there own preferences with a seat.

I had a Corbin on my '09 RT and just received a new one for '12 RT. I love it but others think it's too hard.

I tried a Sargent on my '09 and did not like it. I liked the looks of it but it was not comfortable for me.

I also tried a Sargent for my GS recently and I did not like the seating position. One thing good with Sargent though is that they give you 30 days and you can send it back. Corbin won't do that.
Ken

·
Registered
35 Posts
I now have the stock low seat and it sucks, just got the Sargent seat for my RT, after a week for riding it is going back. One hr. into any ride and my wife wants to head for home just hurts so much. I have been told that it needs to break in but the only thing breaking in is my partner. As an old man i know one thing, happy wife happy life. I'm now going to try the bmw comfort seat..

Richie

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a heated Sargent on my '09 RT, I had a Sargent on my '05 ST1300 and have found Sargent saddles to be a significant improvement over OEM for both rider and passenger. I have given thought to a custom seat but the most notable saddle builders are too far away from where I live and I am of the opinion that I and the Missus would need to travel to them to ensure a proper fitment.

Is Sargent the best alternative? I really don't know as on the last 7 bikes I have owned I have only replaced the saddle(s) with either had Corbin or Sargent. I gave up on Corbin some time ago as I was not happy with the final product or the customer service.

To date, the fit and finish of the Sargent saddles has been excellent as has been the customer service.

Sargent may or may not be the best aftermarket choice for the RT but I am well satisfied with the price, quality, appearance, the customer service and the generous improvement over OEM.

Should your choices be as limited as mine I would encourage you to give Sargent a try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the BMW comfort seat. Good for 2-3 hours before I have to stretch. My wife is also good for 2 hours as well. I did have a quick seat on a well broke in Corbin and I was impressed for the too short time I sat on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had Corbin's on my last four bikes. When I bought the R1200Rt it came with stock seats what POS. I found a Russell on this site for someone my size and bought it. OH what a difference it feels so good that I am now a convert. Butt ugly but my butt says it loves it. If I can ride all day and feel good who cares if I'm off the bike it looks ugly!!! Bauhaus says function before form.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My solution is a Kontour seat upgrade and Bakup back rest with the Kontour padding and mesh upgrade. Fantastic comfort, cool in hot humid south Louisiana, and looks great too !

Kontour site:

http://kontourseat.com/

·
Registered
350 Posts
Had a Corbin on my last bike. Loved it. Have a Sargent on the RT, and I'm disappointed. It's a great-looking seat, and it's an improvement on the stock seat, but after 2 hours or so it starts getting painful.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Man I like the looks of that Kontour seat. I too hate the stock seat on my RT and have used Sargent on a my other bike and I am not impressed. Better but not the cure. I might have to send my seats off to Ron at Kontour this winter after the riding season is over. I must really hate my money I spend it all on my bikes!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh man, i hate to hear all the negativity about the Sargent! I just order one... I only ordered the front seat to see if I am going to like it. One of the biggest selling points for me was that you can send it back within 30 days if you don't like it. The only cost to me is shipping it back. By the way, if you are a member of BMWMOA, you get free shipping to you. I will report back on my experience with the seat.

Chris

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
batdriver51 said:
Be careful with the Corbin seat, heard rumors that they cause 20 hour erections...... :)
Just remember to order a tank protector .... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
We've had the Sargent seats for a couple of years now and are very happy with them. When we bought the bike it came with Rick Mayer seats and while comfortable my SO was sliding all over the place especially when we came to a stop. The other problem was that I was not real comfortable coming to a stop, I would be on my tippy toes. We also tried a Russell seat that someone was selling and it was worse as far height for me and the SO was still sliding. We ended up ordering the Sargent low from the dealer and now I can flat foot and my SO is not sliding anymore. One other thing about the comfort of the Sargent seats. To us anyway they are comfortable. I can only go about 2 hours max before I have to get off and walk around for a couple of minutes. It's not my butt that aches but my legs. I had the same results with the Rick Mayer and Russell seats.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ken6217 said:
I find that this is a difficult topic as everyone's has there own preferences with a seat.

I had a Corbin on my '09 RT and just received a new one for '12 RT. I love it but others think it's too hard.

I tried a Sargent on my '09 and did not like it. I liked the looks of it but it was not comfortable for me.

I also tried a Sargent for my GS recently and I did not like the seating position. One thing good with Sargent though is that they give you 30 days and you can send it back. Corbin won't do that.
Ken
+1 for the Corbin!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts