BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2003 LT. It only has 8,000 miles on it. The rear tire is worn & cupped more on the left side than the right. I plan on on putting new tires and final drive bearing just to put my mind at ease. I found a set of Metzler 880 tires in sizes 120/70VR-17 and 160/VR-17. After searching this site I understand these tires are made in bias and radial forms. The ones I priced are radials. Any thoughts or concerns with using these tires??

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
packnheat said:
Just picked up a 2003 LT. It only has 8,000 miles on it. The rear tire is worn & cupped more on the left side than the right. I plan on on putting new tires and final drive bearing just to put my mind at ease. I found a set of Metzler 880 tires in sizes 120/70VR-17 and 160/VR-17. After searching this site I understand these tires are made in bias and radial forms. The ones I priced are radials. Any thoughts or concerns with using these tires??
I Believe that 2003 is still good to use radials. However, you need some additional numbers on the tires to get the proper weight rating for the Lt, the rear should be "160/70 R 17 79V REINFORCED " and the front 120/70 R17 58 W

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm no expert, but, I believe you want the BIAS tires (only) particularly for the rear. The LT is a heavy beast and must be weight rated.

I think Bridgestone made a radial, but, stopped due to delamination. I belive AVON (and probably others) have weight rated front tires.

The Metz needs to be a BIAS.

Due a search on tires and radials, it's like reading War and Peace.

Joe

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Joe,

It is my understanding that 2005 and up need bias tires. Prior to 05, radials are fine (or bias). Just need to be sure to have the correct weight rating.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
What are on the bike now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure. Don't actually pick it up until Friday. All I know is the rear needs replacement. I figured that due to age I wuld replace both.

·
Registered
40 Posts
go to the Metzeler website. They know what their tires fit and what motorcycles their tires are approved for. I don't know of any radial motorcycle tire that is approved or rated for the k1200lt.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
These are the bias plies skins

Metzeler ME880 120/70VB-17 Front

Metzeler ME880 160/70VB-17 Rear

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
lawretj said:
go to the Metzeler website. They know what their tires fit and what motorcycles their tires are approved for. I don't know of any radial motorcycle tire that is approved or rated for the k1200lt.

I suggest you check your facts. There are radial tires rated 79V and 58W that will work fine on the LT. (pre 2005)

·
Cat Herder
1,442 Posts
Buy these:

ME880 - "160/70 R 17 79V REINFORCED " and the front 120/70 R17 58 W
Make sure the tire says 79V REINFORCED... You will get at least 10k miles out of them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts