BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm obviously new to this sight...lol I am glad I finally found it. I've been searching for days. Anyhow, I was hoping somebody could give me some useful insight into a possible bike purchase.

I used to have a good sized bike (V-Rod). I had to sell it when I got my house, and about 1yr before I got married. Since then, I have been awaiting the opportunity to financially be able to afford a bike. Finally, after about 1.5yrs, I can.

The bike we are considering is a 2008 R 1200 RT. It is my wife's stepfather's bike (one of two). It is in immaculate condition (not a understatement). It has about 2,500 miles and is loaded. Only thing it doesn't have is a radio. It does have the matched rear-luggage compartment. They are asking $8,000 ($3,000 down and $104/mth for remainder).

My wife and I LOVE to ride. Neither of us are too tall/big. I am 5'8" about about 190 and my wife is 5' and like 110 or so. Obviously this is a great looking bike, but we have no experience with it. We want to do cruises through local rolling hills, and long trips (to us they're long...lol) to Gatlinburg, Nashville, etc.

Our main considerations are 1) How great of a tourer would this actually be? Does anyone have any likes/dislikes or anything? 2) How great of a deal is this? I know they are expensive, but once again, I have NO experience with them. I really appreciate any info you people have. I look forward to talking with you all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's a REALLY good deal! I'll buy it if you don't. It's the best bike I've ever owned. I tried a cruiser, a dual sport, a street oriented adventure bike, a sport tourer, and after demo riding the RT I bought one and have never looked back. It's fast enough, handles the twisties like a more sport oriented bike, carrys all your stuff, has lots of amenities like heated grips, seats, cruise control, gets great mileage (50mpg), is great two up, and is very reliable and easy to work on. The only thing I don't like is I don't have more time to ride it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her stepdad said it didn't have a radio (or rather he didn't order one). Could this be right? I amnot sur eif they are standard or not. I saw a lot fo threads about speakers/radios. No idea how I would add one. I'll have to read a lot of threads to find out...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another option to your radio issue is using a wired or wireless system (mp3 player / smartphone) and a helmet with speakers. Most smartphones have free apps that you can use to stream sortable music. I think that gives you a lot more flexibilty in the long run, allows helmet to helmet communication and certainly shouldn't stop you from taking advantage of a great deal on a bike.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The '08's did not have a standard radio. I personally find external speakers to be nearly useless at speed, and annoying to others when stopped, so I didn't mind not having the factory radio (which also eliminates all of the storage in the right glovebox). Consider headsets (wired or Bluetooth) with plug-ins such as an iPod as an alternative.

I'm 5'7", 30" inseam. I've had several RT's and LT's. You should have no physical barriers to riding the RT. If you don't have formal training (beginning or experienced rdier's course), or even if you have an haven't been riding for 1.5 yrs, take a course/refresher course.

Get comfortable with the RT solo before starting to do two-up.

I find the key to two-up is not the actual riding together, it is

(i) the conversation beforehand going over EXACTLY the sequence to follow for the various events which will happen during the ride (e.g., boarding/getting off, who does the balancing when stopped, how does she lean in the turn (not inward, not outward, just keep her body aligned with yours), etc., and

(ii) neither person taking any action without clear, explicit statements or signals from the other ("may I get off now?" followed by firm "yes" when you are ready or a strong head nod). This communication is so important IMO, that I STRONGLY urge you to invest in a good intercom before you spend your money on anything for the bike.

A side benefit of an intercom or bike-to-bike comms (my spouse rides her own GS): I can't think of any single thing that has added more to our joint enjoyment of motorcycling in >30 years than being able to easily speak with one another.

HTH!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I sold a V-Rod to buy my RT. The RT does not feel as fast but not far behind (and my V-Rod had the 1250). The RT is just what I had hoped. It's got all the bells and whistles, better weather protection, etc. I found myself enjoying the bike in 30 degree weather over the winter with an electric vest and good coat along with heated seat and grips.

Grab that bike and enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
One consideration may be the seat height. RT's are higher at the seat than many other bikes I have owned. Given your height, you may want to consider buying a low seat (if it isn't already equipped with one.)

Otherwise, as others have said, it's one of the best bikes available anywhere. For that price, I say go for it! You'll be very happy with your decision.

Good luck, and many happy miles to you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Buy it.You wont regret your purchase. I cant seem time to drive my truck anymore..

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome. You wont be disappointed in you decision on a RT. I have a 2009 and is simply the best road bike I have owned. Two years now and it just gets better! Just came back from The Dragons Tail a month ago and planning a trip to Graceland in August with the wife. A J&B CB and communication system works great and with helmet to helmet com. Got a used one here on this forum from owner clear across the country and works great! The people here are wonderful and a great source of information.
Just ask, and the info is there.
Twist the Grip and Ride on… :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Great for touring... We ride 2-up almost all the time.

We have done thousands of mile trips... she loves to ride.

Forget the radio. It is expensive and most riders who have it complain about it. If you want tunes or news while riding there are many options that are far better.

The price is good- take it.

Like the guy said- take the MSF course (again) (or for the first time).

The luggage is called top case. The bags on the sides are called side cases.

Tall or big is not really an issue. Getting comfortable is the key. Comfortable means experience and time.

Just look out for un-even landing spots/slopes/gravel etc in the beginning. Cannot tell you the number of times we have ridden around parking lots and spots looking for a good place to stop. Learn to look pretty far ahead and not to get yourself in places you cannot ride out of. Never park head in to a downhill spot. The RT is heavy and does no have reverse gear... ha.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you don't i will. I don't need another blue babe what with 10% of the miles it would be really hard to resit! :D
See bottom link...;)
PS. If you don't bite please PM me his phone #. I will pay cash.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my opinion the RT is the best available do-it-all machine. Long range comfort, room for gear and the wife, and still a blast to ride.

I currently own a V-rod which I love dearly, but all it really does is goes fast in a straight line, makes a cool noise, and puts a smile on my face. The V-rod looks ridiculous with a windshield and/or bags attached to it, the back seat/lack of leg room is excruciatingly uncomfortable for the passenger, and it'll only go 100 miles between gas stops.

The RT is far more practical. If you don't like it, then sport touring is not your bag.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your wife's stepfather is doing you a favor. According to the Spring 2011 edition of Motorcycle Consumer News NADA Used Bike Value Guide (in MCN's March 2011 issue) the going price for a 2008 RT is $11,620. The bike you are considering is in immaculate condition with only 2,500 miles which would make the price higher. And you know this seller - he'll be around even after you buy it (unlike buying from a perfect stranger).

As others have said, it's a very good deal. And it's a lovely bike in all ways.

The only downside is that parts (both BMW and aftermarket) and service are expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts