BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to say "Howdy to all". :wave

Just bought my first BMW Cycle--1200LT-E......have ridden for years on a combo of Hondas and Harleys. Looking forward to this experience. Needed something that was a little more gentler on my back.Now all I need is a little trailer to pull and I'll be ready to hit the road.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
FrankNitti said:
Would like to say "Howdy to all". :wave

Just bought my first BMW Cycle--1200LT-E......have ridden for years on a combo of Hondas and Harleys. Looking forward to this experience. Needed something that was a little more gentler on my back.Now all I need is a little trailer to pull and I'll be ready to hit the road.
Welcome to the asylum as is often said around here.

Be careful towing a trailer. The LT is geared obscenely tall in first gear and has a dry clutch that will heat up quickly if slipped much. This isn't a good combination for towing.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Welcome, you will love this site. It is full of very friendly, knowledgeable, and experienced riders. It has helped me out tremendously.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Welcome.
Towing is different on a LT, due to the dry clutch, just be careful and you will be fine. There are many folks who have towed small trailers many thousands of miles with no issues, me included.
I have a small harbor freight with a car carrier, not pretty but it does the job. I don't load it more than 100 lbs, though I am sure many load their trailer with more.
Just spend some time getting used to the bike, then a passenger and then the trailer, once you have that down you will be fine. Remember front wheel straight at stops, if not the bike wants to take a nap.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember front wheel straight at stops, if not the bike wants to take a nap
:confused: say what? take a nap......

not used to these new fangled things......all the scooters I've owned are 70-80-90 models, so I'm sure this will take some time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
FrankNitti said:
:confused: say what? take a nap......

not used to these new fangled things......all the scooters I've owned are 70-80-90 models, so I'm sure this will take some time.
The front won't dive much when stopping..the inertia will want to make the bike tip over if the wheel is not straight when stopping..not that it will but it could.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the maps of the U.S. in several peoples signatures, and I would assume that the colored in states are the ones you have visited on your scooter, correct?

2 questions

where would you go about getting a map?

does it count if I rode a Honda or a Harley in said states?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome from Washington state !!

As a recent owner myself..learn how to pick it up when it falls over...High winds here will knock it over if on the side stand, not to mention stopping with the wheel turned. I dumped mine in the first 3 feet of my first test ride after installing a new clutch. And in front of a herd of Harley's at a Hotel outside of portland..embarassing but don't fret it.

AS to the map, I am not sure where to find it..I would think all states on ANY bike would qualify (that's my story and I"m sticking to it)

I do believe you like the bike once used to it. I love the tunes, the adjustable windshield, cruise and most of all the great gas mileage. Although I can't claim to be resposible for most of it, turned over 100K last weekend and it still runs like a frickin rocket.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
FrankNitti said:
I see the maps of the U.S. in several peoples signatures, [...] does it count if I rode a Honda or a Harley in said states?
Absolutely not! Wait, that mindset is from the Harley groups I used to frequent. We do not care what you ride, as long as you RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Welcome to the asylum, where the inmates rule!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
To get used to the ABS brakes I found a straight road with no traffic on it, got her up to 30 and then stood on the brakes. My gut did Not like it at all! Then again but at 40; then again at 50 etc.

When coming to a stop or starting from a stop it is essential to keep the front wheel straight until you get going.

Unlike HDs this bike loves running at 5-6K RPM, not at 2-3K RPM.

Ridding across Texas I ran one tank in 4th gear and compared it to my mpg in 5th gear--it was about the same. So, no better gas mileage at the lower RPM.

It's easy to inadvertently scrap pegs in twisties, especially with sport type of tires. If you pick up your feet a little the next thing that scrapes is the side stand and around the same time the Tupperware.

On the earlier Lts the low beam is only good to 30 mph or so. One of the first things many people do is to convert the low beam to HID or add driving lights for the low beam.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Oh. PS: after you drop her, you are a vet.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Welcome aboard! Coming from other bikes the hardest thing for me to get used to with the LT was keep the Revs High especially in the curves :) It's a great ride, and this is a great group!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome....and the tips.

Oh. PS: after you drop her, you are a vet.
certainly hope that's not the case, dropped my old dirt bikes but not a street bike

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 on keeping the revs high. Lugged mine around with low RPM she sputtered and chugged. Started keeping revs up and she is happy. Only thing else I would say is keep her off the steering stop, my Tiger can ride in circles on the steering stop, the LT No-No.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome! I have found this place a wealth of knowledge on many different subjects from what kind of gear to buy to how to do your own service work.

Anytime I have a question about my LT I pick a word to search on and start reading the posts it's found it. Just don't do a search on "oil" or "tires" unless you've got some time to kill! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anytime I have a question about my LT I pick a word to search on and start reading the posts it's found
yuup....... between the search and the subforums most every ??? is answered.

took delivery on my LT late saturday night, the last 2 days a little better than 400 miles have been accumulated. The hardest thing so far are the brakes....can't get them down yet but I'm only 2 days into it.

other things.....

have not tried to center stand it
have not tried to reverse it

figured getting the riding aspect down is a little more top shelf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts