1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
"A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.

"Curb Weight*: 904 - 933 pounds, depending on option packages selected.

Look at all the weight they saved by leaving out an electrically adjustable windscreen! :histerica

We rode a GL1800 for a few days last summer in the mountains of the Apache National Forest and Gila National forest in AZ and NM. We were surprized that the GL handled as well as it did, but it isn't an LT and we didn't come away from the experience wanting to trade the LT for a GL.

It seems that the new 2010 GL is basically the same bike with new electronic packages and other options, no?

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Lots of incremental improvements and some new features/gadgets. I think the appearance/cosmetic changes are a big step forward. I like it!

Interesting to note they are putting the Honda logo on the sides.

I was hoping they would finally add an electric windscreen. I think that engine can handle the additional weight which they cite as a reason for not including it. :rolleyes:

<edit>
Looks like Charlie beat me to the "windsreen vs. weight" comment. We're thinking along the same lines.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The most exciting new spec I see is the clear coated wheels. That was the most annoying thing I found about my two previous Wings; they would seem to tarnish practically overnight!

I don't see enough changes to entice owners to trade up unless they have high mileage on their current Wing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks for posting. It confirms my choice to pre-order a GTL. A great bike with sewing-machine smooth engine and gobs of power, but a tired design....not for me.

While 900+ pounds might help a bit when riding in 40 mph cross winds on the interstate, my preference is lighter, leaner, nimbler, quicker when the road gets twisty...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Wow -- One look at the literally *dozens* of individual switches all over the front 1/2 of the bike, and the BMW left grip multi-controller wheel starts making a *lot* more sense!

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Looks like the love-child of an older wing and a Victory Vision. You know, sort of how your middle child looks an awful lot like the postman . . . ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Of course, I HAVE to play devil's advocate. :wave

But before I do that, let me say that I just CANNOT believe they didn't redesign it more than they did. Also, that they didn't put that pig on a diet!!! And that they STILL don't have an electric windshield. REALLY?!?! That's absurd! :(

MrBreeze said:
A great bike with sewing-machine smooth engine and gobs of power, but a tired design....not for me.
That didn't stop you from buying an 11-year-old design when you bought that '09 LT. :rotf:

mneblett said:
Wow -- One look at the literally *dozens* of individual switches all over the front 1/2 of the bike, and the BMW left grip multi-controller wheel starts making a *lot* more sense!
"individual switches" have their pros and cons. I would guess that an older clientele would want individual switches as they are less confusing. 1 button = 1 function ... simple. Also, if the multi-function "multi-controller wheel" fails, you lose a LOT of functions ... instead of just one. Mind you, I'm ALL ABOUT the multi-controller wheel. ;) My '10 Connie has one button for scrolling through 6 different functions as well. I like it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
meese said:
Looks like the love-child of an older wing and a Victory Vision.
I guess I do see a bit of "Vision" in the new model. Now I'm just confused.

The taillights on the trunk don't match the bike's taillights! What the heck is going on over at Honda?!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I recognize where all their "riders on the go" shots were taken. It's just north of Cambria, CA near the old lighthouse and Piedras Blancas. Joe - You may have missed it as we were going just over the speed limit when we rode through there a few years back. ;)

Piedras Blancas is know for being an elephant seal rookery with hundreds of them around most of the time, including a large number of the large males well into the 2-3000 pound range. I guess the Wing was in good company there. :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
So I read the initial post, read the article and just like everyone else I keyed on the lame excuse for a manual windshield adjustment:

- A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors

I'll keep the weight and complexity of the electric adjust. Thank you just the same.

One thought on integrated electronic features especially GPS and stereos. This applies to ANY make/model.

Why would anyone want these items integrated into the bike except for aesthetics. Look at how far technology has come in the area of GPS and audio. The new products of 3 years ago are seriously dated today.

$28,000 for a motorcycle!!!! Yipes!!!!

Loren

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like Honda Japan wanted to save some money with the "new model". for me it is just a facelift.
Well, there is another thing that I really don`t like. the hole between the handle bar and the fairing is still there.

I do love my old LT :) :) :) :) :) :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

(Those are new GL riders taking a group siesta after a morning ride)

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

(Those are new GTL riders doing the funky chicken after a morning ride)

·
Registered
89 Posts
mneblett said:

But I bet the Goldwing switchgear actually works consistently and won't leave you stranded somewhere. Sorry couldn't resist! :)

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
I guess I do see a bit of "Vision" in the new model. Now I'm just confused.

The taillights on the trunk don't match the bike's taillights! What the heck is going on over at Honda?!?!?!?!
(1) Yes, especially the view from the rear quarter.

(2) An improvement! Personally, I never did care for the rear lights on the previous model GL1800s. This new model's rear lights look those on an R1200RT, so maybe we should be flattered that they are copying one of our own?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Blue is probably my favorite color, but not Goldwing blue. EEEEWW! (Remember "Ernest goes to Camp"?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Of course, I HAVE to play devil's advocate.:wave .
We wouldn't know it was really you if you didn't, Joe :D

Seriously, contrary views are great for a truely healthy discourse.

messenger13_ver2 said:
"individual switches" have their pros and cons. I would guess that an older clientele would want individual switches as they are less confusing. 1 button = 1 function ... simple. Also, if the multi-function "multi-controller wheel" fails, you lose a LOT of functions ... instead of just one. Mind you, I'm ALL ABOUT the multi-controller wheel. ;) My '10 Connie has one button for scrolling through 6 different functions as well. I like it.
There's definitely plusses to single-function switches; in the right application I believe they are *better* than multi-function devices.

But this ain't one of those applications!

Nearly all of those switches require your hands to move far away from the grips. Even if you have them all memorized and can operate them without looking (a hardly realistic expectation for 90+% of riders), there is far too much distance to be covered (and often requires leaning forward to reach), and far too much time off with the hands off of the controls. This was enough of a problem with the LT's radio, BC computer and instrument cluster buttons; this GW array is something I'm glad I don't have to deal with!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had a tough decision to make back last year, buy an 09 LT, or an 08 top-o-line Goldwing, or wait for new 1600 or the new wing.
I bought the 09 LT, the 1600 looks nice, and I'm SO glad I didn't get any wing, old or new.

Updated plastic huh, that's about it really. the new nav is nice but that's about it.

I finally made a good decision!!!!!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Re: What do ya'll think of the "new" Goldwing?

I think of it the same way I think of the Victory Vision,
nice bike for somebody else, just not for me.

2012 Wingthing

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts