BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my front brake pads this weekend, with Carbone Lorraine from Beemer Boneyard. They went in easy. I have ridden around 20 miles trying to set them in. After stopping and trying to rotate the front tire, there is significant resistance (drag) as the pads are in contact with the calibers. Is this normal and will they soon wear open some. This is the first set of pads at 48,000 miles, the old ones had a little left in them and the calibers look good.

Thanks Mickey

·
Registered
121 Posts
I Had something similar with EBC pads, it eventually turned out that the pad material was bonded onto the backing plates a little off centre, i filed off the excess material & it cured it, basically if there is any material sitting over the edges of the backing plate file it off, or return as faulty, i hope its this simple for you!!.
Regards
Stevie

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had the same problem on mine before I changed my pads. I fixed it by cleaning and lubricating the sides of the pistons. Here is what I did. After I removed the old pads I pressed the brake lever to get all brake pistons out to their almost max and cleaned the calipers and pistons with brake cleaner. I slightly sanded the piston sides with 800 sand paper and cleaned them again with brake cleaner. I then lubricated the sides of the pistons with some drops of ATF oil and pushed them completely back by using the old pads and a clamp. I then put the new pads and mount everything back together. I have put 5k miles on it since and the problem never came back.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Perhaps you didn't get the pistons far back enough in the calipers.

When the pads are set in they work on just the flex of the seals.

Try pushing the pistons all the way in and then walk them back out into the rotor.

I bet it'll be better then.... And get those pads broken in as well. That'll help if they're running over the rotor a little at some point.

Keep us posted.

John

·
Registered
713 Posts
Alpac said:
I had the same problem on mine before I changed my pads. I fixed it by cleaning and lubricating the sides of the pistons. Here is what I did. After I removed the old pads I pressed the brake lever to get all brake pistons out to their almost max and cleaned the calipers and pistons with brake cleaner. I slightly sanded the piston sides with 800 sand paper and cleaned them again with brake cleaner. I then lubricated the sides of the pistons with some drops of ATF oil and pushed them completely back by using the old pads and a clamp. I then put the new pads and mount everything back together. I have put 5k miles on it since and the problem never came back.
Be careful pushing the pistons out without pads installed. You can pop a piston right out of the caliper this way. No permanent damage, worst case is you may damage a seal. But you may have a "fun" time putting it back in and bleeding the brake system to expunge all the air.

·
Registered
461 Posts
NEVER NEVER NEVER use petroleum lubes oils or cleaners on brake brake systems
If you want to see for yourself get an old rubber brake cup , seal and give it a dose of ATF

Bob G

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I did not clean the pistons with brake cleaner, like I should. I'm getting some today and giving it a try.

Mickey

·
Registered
79 Posts
I changed front pads and when I was pushing the pistons in, the left side was really hard. When I put the new pads on, they got noticeably hot. What I found was that the left hose had collapsed and essentially blocked fluid flow. When I applied the hand lever, the pressure of the brake fluid was enough to apply the pistons a little, but the pistons themselves could not force fluid back up to the master cylinder, and just stayed on.Check the hoses and see if they are soft. I had 60K and couldn't not believe, even with regular fluid changes, how quickly the hoses deteriorated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts