BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For X-mas I got meself one of the new fangled 160GB IPod's and as I am sure many iPod owners can attest to, while the original earphone are not the worst in the sound department (actually they are decent), they certainly are almost the worst in terms of comfort, or staying in my ears when I try to use them in the helmet.

Oh well, me thinks: I have not bought the Ipod for their earphones so, off I go and tried the ER6i, the type of earphones that I was using for the last 3 years. And while I did like them originally I have to admit they are not as crisp and clear, nor do they have the bass response I would have wished for.

So, off I go doing research again and it seems currently almost everyone on the net seems to agree that in the sub $1k range there is one type of earphones standing out from the crowd.

So I thinks: Hhmm, from the description it sounds as if these guys would be the ones that the Dr. ordered. Ok, lets see what the internet would wish to take for a pair. Talk about an OUTCH experience: Around $450 - $500 is the going price. I didn't want to spend more for a pair of earphones than for the whole Ipod.

After much searching I finally found a new pair on ebay for $300 plus change. So, well at least the earphones are cheaper than the IPod, not by much, but they are.

Today they came, and of course I had to try them immediately.

Boy, oh BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a bass respnse as well as crisp and clean high frequencies. Definitely worth the money, but now I also know why the IPod doesn't come with something like that. It would almost double the price, though worth that would be problematic in selling.

MAN! I am listening to some pieces I know and I can hear new nuances. Just incredible.

I guess the fact that they have 2 separate speakers in the earphone is for a reason!

What? Oh, yes. It's the Shure SE530. Absolutely terrific. Well worth the money. Imagine having your brain directly connected and the music piped that way. Maybe, due to the price, not for everyone, but for me: 100% worth the money.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Andy,

Have you tried them with your helmet yet? I'm wondering how well they "stay in" your ears?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried, yes, and they stay in fine. Depending on YOUR ears you will have to select the flanges that fit you best. *I* had to use the white triple flanges, and then they stayed in purrfectly.

Still listening .... I'm in love.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From the picture of these it looks like they will extend out of your ears enough to hit on the helmet and be uncomfortable. Do they?

·
Registered
446 Posts
My choice

For Xmas my wife purchase me a set of Bose in-ear headphones. Cost at QVC about $100 dollars. and they fit very nice in the bowl of the ear. Come with two other size ear tips to fit into different size ear canals and a small case that will hold the ear buds and your normal size IPod device. They sound great!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have found that, with earphones on bikes, how well they seal wind roar out is as important as how well they seal sound in. And the Apple earphones suck for sealing sound out (but they are great for allowing conversation while listening).

Aerostitch.com usually has a great selection of earphones, including some that can be custom-fit to the shape of your ear. I hear these are great.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Earspeakers-p-1-c-337.html

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BEhrler said:
From the picture of these it looks like they will extend out of your ears enough to hit on the helmet and be uncomfortable. Do they?
At least for me they extend just enough that the helmet holds them snug it without pushing the earphones comfortably.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My wife also got me a pr. of the Bose for Xmas. I haven't taken out of box yet...trying to find out if anybody has tried them with helmet yet. Are they comfortable? Fit Well? :confused:

GolfGuy :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Two thumbs up!!

andy said:
...Boy, oh BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a bass respnse as well as crisp and clean high frequencies. Definitely worth the money, but now I also know why the IPod doesn't come with something like that. It would almost double the price, though worth that would be problematic in selling.

MAN! I am listening to some pieces I know and I can hear new nuances. Just incredible.

I guess the fact that they have 2 separate speakers in the earphone is for a reason!

What? Oh, yes. It's the Shure SE530. Absolutely terrific. Well worth the money. Imagine having your brain directly connected and the music piped that way. Maybe, due to the price, not for everyone, but for me: 100% worth the money.
I agree. I tried the Bose initially 'cause they were convenient to get and relatively inexpensive, but they don't compare in sound quality. The Shures are incredibly neutral, with solid base and plenty of attachments for a good fit. I sprung for the PTH model (push to hear) and use it mostly when I'm running errands or working in the clay and must talk with someone. It handy to not pull out the phones only to reinsert them.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
What about blocking outside noise?

andy said:
For X-mas I got meself one of the new fangled 160GB IPod's and as I am sure many iPod owners can attest to, while the original earphone are not the worst in the sound department (actually they are decent), they certainly are almost the worst in terms of comfort, or staying in my ears when I try to use them in the helmet.

Oh well, me thinks: I have not bought the Ipod for their earphones so, off I go and tried the ER6i, the type of earphones that I was using for the last 3 years. And while I did like them originally I have to admit they are not as crisp and clear, nor do they have the bass response I would have wished for.

So, off I go doing research again and it seems currently almost everyone on the net seems to agree that in the sub $1k range there is one type of earphones standing out from the crowd.

So I thinks: Hhmm, from the description it sounds as if these guys would be the ones that the Dr. ordered. Ok, lets see what the internet would wish to take for a pair. Talk about an OUTCH experience: Around $450 - $500 is the going price. I didn't want to spend more for a pair of earphones than for the whole Ipod.

After much searching I finally found a new pair on ebay for $300 plus change. So, well at least the earphones are cheaper than the IPod, not by much, but they are.

Today they came, and of course I had to try them immediately.

Boy, oh BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a bass respnse as well as crisp and clean high frequencies. Definitely worth the money, but now I also know why the IPod doesn't come with something like that. It would almost double the price, though worth that would be problematic in selling.

Andy,

I normally use foam earplugs to block outside noise whenever I ride because of a bad case of tinnitus supposedly caused by loud noises. I have changed the speakers in my helmet from the tinny Autocom to better ones from Radio Shack.

I like the idea of the Shure inserts and wondered if they also help in blocking outside noise like the foam ear plugs? My earplugs advertise blocking about 30 DB. Do the Shure block any outside noise?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
eatanner said:
I agree. I tried the Bose initially 'cause they were convenient to get and relatively inexpensive, but they don't compare in sound quality. The Shures are incredibly neutral, with solid base and plenty of attachments for a good fit. I sprung for the PTH model (push to hear) and use it mostly when I'm running errands or working in the clay and must talk with someone. It handy to not pull out the phones only to reinsert them.
Hey, Edgar - brung them with you next time you join us at World Kkaaffeee Hqtrs; maybe you can convince me to upgrade from those foam plugs I've been using forever!!

BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!! Why not in the forum category that covers Accessories, Gadgets and Gear? Or at the very least, Chit Chat? Why are we keeping this information from the forum's general readership? I guess I'm too naive to understand the direction in which this website is headed. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
me too

BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!! Why not in the forum category that covers Accessories, Gadgets and Gear? Or at the very least, Chit Chat? Why are we keeping this information from the forum's general readership? I guess I'm too naive to understand the direction in which this website is headed. :confused:[/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I too don't understand the need to keep a forum "private". If I have a vote, I would delete this particular section.

By the way, do the audio inserts help to cancel out environmental noise?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dandiver said:
Andy,

I normally use foam earplugs to block outside noise whenever I ride because of a bad case of tinnitus supposedly caused by loud noises. I have changed the speakers in my helmet from the tinny Autocom to better ones from Radio Shack.

I like the idea of the Shure inserts and wondered if they also help in blocking outside noise like the foam ear plugs? My earplugs advertise blocking about 30 DB. Do the Shure block any outside noise?
Yes, they do block SOME outside noise. I doubt that they have 30db(a) reduction. BUT now here is the big BUTT. They come with a HOST of different tips to select from. Some of them more comfy, some others better in noise reduction. I personally found that the medium black ones single flange work best for me, espesciall when the wires are BEHIND the ears. They also come with some foam inserts, but I have not tried them.

I have had helmet speakers for a long time on my old LT and I was happy with them. but once you HEAR the difference there is no going back.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dick said:
BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!!
THAT is easy to answer: It is here because I put it here. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Edgar - brung them with you next time you join us at World Kkaaffeee Hqtrs; maybe you can convince me to upgrade from those foam plugs I've been using forever!!

BTW - I'm still trying to figger out why this thread is in the 'Supporting Members Only' forum!! Why not in the forum category that covers Accessories, Gadgets and Gear? Or at the very least, Chit Chat? Why are we keeping this information from the forum's general readership? I guess I'm too naive to understand the direction in which this website is headed. :confused:
I still use my custom plugs/earphones that Marilyn (Now Hear This) made for me when riding but that's just because I haven't been listening to the Ipod much on the bike. I'll bring them when I come this Friday (unless we head to the
Cowboy Breakfast). Deb will be out of town and I'll be free to awake early.;)

I don't think Andy expected this to develop into a thread touting the Shure. He was just sharing with friendly types about his good luck. Heck, I bet he'd even move it to Accessories if we poked him enough.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts