·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Andy and Dave.......I agree 100%

Question:......how long will it take for legislation to the contrary.........?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Palerider said:
Andy and Dave.......I agree 100%

Question:......how long will it take for legislation to the contrary.........?
See, that's the good thing, even legislation cannot override the constitution, unless they change it (the constitution that is). The constitution trumps all laws, current, past and future.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One caveat though: This does NOT cover emails you write and receive on company/office computers and networks. This only covers personal emails and it covers you from intrusion by THE GOVERNMENT, not your office network admin.

When you signed up to be employed you signed away the right to privacy while on office computers. And there is NO arguing about that one, this had been adjudicated times and times before.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you do that then

a) the company has the right to read what can be seen on the wire
b) the company has the right to give access to the authorities to what is on the wire (remember you signed that right away as long axs you are on company computers)
c) the company has the right to read your cache

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I work for the state. Prior to my current job I worked for the City of Topeka for 28 years. I have always been amused at some of the ideas HR came up with. It seems they want to have the same latitude that private employers do. Sometimes it's necessary to take a step back and remind ourselves that in city, county, state, and federal employment "we" are the government and have different rules than Walmart. The constitution is there to protect us from the government. There are numerous reasons for that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I work for the state. Prior to my current job I worked for the City of Topeka for 28 years. I have always been amused at some of the ideas HR came up with. It seems they want to have the same latitude that private employers do. Sometimes it's necessary to take a step back and remind ourselves that in city, county, state, and federal employment "we" are the government and have different rules than Walmart. The constitution is there to protect us from the government. There are numerous reasons for that.

I'm not gonna touch this one....no sir, not at all....Nope, I promised I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deanwoolsey said:
And quite frankly as soon as you are using company/state/government equipment they have the right to look into your PC, to monitor the data traffic, to read your cache and all other nasty things. BUT, and that is the big but: If you are not accessing your email from work, they won't see anything, Its still illegal for them to use a password they may be able to snoop from the wire and then really go into your email account.

The court ruling I was referring to in an earlier post is quite specific and does NOT preclude your employer (whoever that may be) to monitor their equipment, and thats the kicker. Under the "I am only monitoring my equipment" excuse they can do everything they want with their equipment, up to and including the installation of keystroke loggers, if they so choose. Remember it's not your PC.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
And this is exactly why I use my work email and cell phone for ONLY work-related stuff, and NOTHING personal ... and vice versa.

·
Registered
635 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
And this is exactly why I use my work email and cell phone for ONLY work-related stuff, and NOTHING personal ... and vice versa.
A wise thing to do indeed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
andy said:
The court ruling I was referring to in an earlier post is quite specific and does NOT preclude your employer (whoever that may be) to monitor their equipment....Under the "I am only monitoring my equipment" excuse they can do everything they want... up to and including the installation of keystroke loggers.....
That sounds striking familiar with this incident....

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/dec/15/cheesecake-factory-hit-with-sex-harassment-lawsuit/

The management was doing things with the equipment, monitoring strokes, and...and...

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
andy said:
And quite frankly as soon as you are using company/state/government equipment they have the right to look into your PC, to monitor the data traffic, to read your cache and all other nasty things. BUT, and that is the big but: If you are not accessing your email from work, they won't see anything, Its still illegal for them to use a password they may be able to snoop from the wire and then really go into your email account.

The court ruling I was referring to in an earlier post is quite specific and does NOT preclude your employer (whoever that may be) to monitor their equipment, and thats the kicker. Under the "I am only monitoring my equipment" excuse they can do everything they want with their equipment, up to and including the installation of keystroke loggers, if they so choose. Remember it's not your PC.
messenger13_ver2 said:
Correct, gents. "Big government--public employer" can and do monitor ALL aspects of your pc/cp use, up to and including using "information gathering" methods such as keystroke loggers, etc.

So, why would you EVER do anything "personal" on company equipment? Also, if I might make a recommendation: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let your personal cp leave your immediate control--even to go to the can for a few min's. All it takes to install a "logging" program remotely is knowing your cp's esn number. Once said program is installed, all info on your cp, including your location, is available remotely.

·
Registered
616 Posts
andy said:
I am not sure how you arrived from the starting point of this thread to where you ended up, because those are very distinct and different case but if you say so ...
It was a joke, Andy... :)

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
My point is that just because I work in the government, I don't get to ignore the rules. The constitution is there to protect us from the government and not employers like Walmart so it's impossible for Walmart to violate your right to a reasonable search and seizure. Andy is correct. I used to tell my people don't do anything on your work computer that you wouldn't want your mother to see and you'll probably be ok.

More importantly...............

Where are we all going to get our male enhancement pills now??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:histerica

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
....Where are we all going to get our male enhancement pills now??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:histerica
Uummmm I didn't realize "male enhancement pills" were in short supply? :confused: :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Where are we all going to get our male enhancement pills now??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:histerica
Some of us don't need 'em.....

:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
My point is that just because I work in the government, I don't get to ignore the rules. The constitution is there to protect us from the government and not employers like Walmart so it's impossible for Walmart to violate your right to a reasonable search and seizure. Andy is correct. I used to tell my people don't do anything on your work computer that you wouldn't want your mother to see and you'll probably be ok.

More importantly...............

In some parts it may not be advisable to use the "wouldn't want your mother to see" analogy.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of deleting going on lately?? :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts