BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the "LT WORLD", and love the bike, but the one thing I couldn't handle was the seat. No matter how I adjusted it, it just didn't work. My butt was just plain sore after an hour or so and I was dying after 2-3 hours.

I took my seat to a friend of mine who does upholstery and WOW! He has been doing this all his life and I simply snapped some photos of what I wanted and WaLa! He produced it. Haven't ridden it long yet, but on the test ride, it sure felt better immediatly. Just though some might like to see it.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
I am new to the "LT WORLD", and love the bike, but the one thing I couldn't handle was the seat. No matter how I adjusted it, it just didn't work. My butt was just plain sore after an hour or so and I was dying after 2-3 hours.

I took my seat to a friend of mine who does upholstery and WOW! He has been doing this all his life and I simply snapped some photos of what I wanted and WaLa! He produced it. Haven't ridden it long yet, but on the test ride, it sure felt better immediatly. Just though some might like to see it.
Do you have any before and after pics to see?

·
Registered
470 Posts
was it a heated seat????

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
and can you tell us some specifics of what he did to the seat? I'm assuming it was more than just recovering it...

I've read a few cases on this site where a local upholstery shop did a seat rebuild, with good results. Much cheaper than the traditional m/c specialty seat maker.

·
Registered
684 Posts
cccpastorjack said:

Hmmm, my 75K mile seat on my 04 is starting to tell me its worn out. NC is sorta local to me. Does your guy do ride in's?

·
Registered
180 Posts
cccpastorjack said:

We would like to see it. Where is it?? :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had KonTour do my seat last winter and I have been super happy this summer. Padding is much better than factory and the fabric breaths so I don't get a soggy butt on hot days. This winter I'm sending them my drivers back rest and the passenger back rest to get covered with their fabric.

I have no association with KonTour other than being a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seat Covering

You are my kind of folks! Have been preaching the set re-dux, beads, riding apparel, etc. over the seat change out for years. Amazing how many folks will spend $500-$1,000 on a new seat w/o guarantee of comfort. Local folks will help make changes until you are happy. And at a much lower cost. Bonus….you support local business.!!

Glad it worked.
:thumb:

Miles

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One More Attempt At Posting Photos Of The Seat

Guys, this is my last try at uploading photos (I thought they were on the first post). If they aren't on this post, then it is beyond my limited computer skills to post them.

The cost of the seat was around $300. Not cheap, but they did rebuild it from the ground up. 6 types of foam were used and a new cover was hand stitched. I rode for about 90 miles today and WOW was it comfortable! :D I took the seat off the bike and left it with them.

It was done by Donald's Auto Upholstery in Charlotte, NC. and it is outstanding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup...it was and still is heated!

Motomadman said:
was it a heated seat????

Yes, it was a heated seat and it still is. Heater still works great, he just took his time and removed the old heater and re-installed it in the new foam.

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Guys, this is my last try at uploading photos (I thought they were on the first post). If they aren't on this post, then it is beyond my limited computer skills to post them.

The cost of the seat was around $300. Not cheap, but they did rebuild it from the ground up. 6 types of foam were used and a new cover was hand stitched. I rode for about 90 miles today and WOW was it comfortable! :D I took the seat off the bike and left it with them.

It was done by Donald's Auto Upholstery in Charlotte, NC. and it is outstanding.
The pics worked, as you can see. Now you're a pro!

Thanks for the info. Do you have specifics that we can take to our own local upholstery shops? Like... what type of foam (brand name, trade name, etc.), or will they know all about these things?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More Details...

hschisler said:
Do you have specifics that we can take to our own local upholstery shops? Like... what type of foam (brand name, trade name, etc.), or will they know all about these things?
I do not have specifics about the foam, but I asked him to use some of the firmest foam he had. I sampled several types and did a lot of research and though there is some debate between "Closed" and "Open" cell foam, everyone seems to agree that a very firm foam is better for the long haul. The cover is a synthetic leather. I really debated between that and real leather, but chose this for its water resistance. Just wipe it off and ride!

I also use a sheepskin pad by Alaskan Leather that is irreplaceable. Man does that thing help out! In other words, NO Sweat! ;) (I live in the HOTTTTTT southern climate -- sorry to all you northern guys) :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like a quality job at a very reasonable cost. Please report again on comfort after a long day ride, say at least 350 miles--preferably longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts