BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up new brake pads at the dealer yesterday along with an Airfilter and fuel filter, those two tasks are accomplished.

Now I'm ready to tackle the brakes.

I lossened up the 2 10MM helx bolts and removed them. I slid the caliper downward and rotated, nothing, I raised it, nothing, Acck, who does one get the caliper off the wheel / disk?

I don't have to remove the disk so it will tip sideways so the caliper will ciome off do I?

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
You are a lot braver than me. I can change the brake pads anytime, but am hesitant to change the fuel filter.

As for your question, on my 2000LT, you can change the rear brakes while the caliper is mounted, just take out the two cotter pins, and slide out the pins. You will need to push the piston back in (I usually use a screw driver on the old pads while they are still in place). The new pads should slide right in. As for the front brakes, some have mentioned that they can leave the calipers in place, but I find it easier to remove both calipers to change the pads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Center pin on the front calipers

When I look at the front brakes, I see the little cotter pin that goes around the pin that goes through the tops of both pads. Centering pin?? Anyway, how do you get that pin out?

we removed the cotter pin, the pin itself has a slot like for a screw driver but all it does is just spin when you turn it.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Doug_Gentry said:
When I look at the front brakes, I see the little cotter pin that goes around the pin that goes through the tops of both pads. Centering pin?? Anyway, how do you get that pin out?

we removed the cotter pin, the pin itself has a slot like for a screw driver but all it does is just spin when you turn it.
Doug, read this and somewhere in the first few paragraphs, you'll see what to do with the slotted pin. I got this by clicking on one of the related threads that appears down at the bottom of this page. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Front, or rear pads?

For the rear pads, there is NO reason what-so-ever to remove the calipers. It's a 15 minute job, if that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link

Man, that explained it so well.

I was able to give one good tap and out it comes. I was able to do it maybe 15 minutes.

Tomorrow I'll do the rear.
Just gotta find the rear thing that holds the brake fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts