BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow riders,
Just sold my Harley and have purchased a 2011 1200RT!
As soon as I sat on it I knew it was my new ride; so looking forward to the spring!
Love some info on helmet selection. I have an open face helmet now and looking at a 3/4 or modular helmet for bmw; not keen on full coverage.
Also are there some helmets better set up for bluetooth connecting?
Also thinking of a colour matched helmet; are they available off the shelf?
Thanks for any info and look forward to riding in my new community!
mike
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
That year is one of the best of its generation, easy to deal with valve adjustments Looks like you have all the gear for a good summer of fun.

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice ride.
Same year and color as mine. Soon to be traded in on a 22.
Sorry I cant help with the helmet question. I ride with Arai FF. Never tried a modular.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Love some info on helmet selection. I have an open face helmet now and looking at a 3/4 or modular helmet for bmw; not keen on full coverage.
mike
I'm a big fan of the Shark Evo series modular helmets (I have an Evo-One 2) which can be ridden as full face or jet helmet.
The shark helmet has a recess for the comm system battery. I'm happy with my old Sena 10R
I've never seen color matched helmets, although mine does match the white and black of R1250RT which is just luck because I had this helmet prior to buying the bike.
(It's the one on my profile picture with my 07RT)
YMMV

·
Cat Herder
1,600 Posts
Now that you will be going much faster than your previous bike you may want to look into a Shoei or Schuberth for comfort and fit for an all day ride.

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
32 Posts
Welcome. Good looking bike.
I use modular. I like the protection of a full face but the modular is easier to take on and off and it's handy to flip up when slow or stopped in the heat. Best of both worlds.
That being said, helmet's are very objective for each user. Try a bunch of different ones and measure your head so you don't have to guess at sizing. That will also eliminate the helmets that are not suitable for your head shape.
Color matching would most likely be a custom paint project.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Another way to go is to have a different color helmet as the contrast makes you more visible, same with your riding gear.
I use a modular as I wear glasses. I used to wear an open face in the summer but haven't in years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As stated earlier, helmets are a personal thing. One thing I would suggest, if it is available to you. The Cycle Gear near me has a wind tunnel for comparing helmets. A couple of years ago, after some research, I purchased a NeoTech 2 helmet to the tune of $600. It is the noisiest helmet I have ever owned. I will never buy another helmet without trying it at high speed.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
104 Posts
Hey fellow riders,
Just sold my Harley and have purchased a 2011 1200RT!
As soon as I sat on it I knew it was my new ride; so looking forward to the spring!
mike
View attachment 176584
I don't think you'll regret your decision, though on this forum (and another I frequent, bmwst.com), there are hard core rider who own, and love, both sport touring bikes and crusers. You'll find an unending number of suggestions on these forums for add ons (a.k.a. "farkles") that may enhance your ride, and/or safety. The nice think about buying not-quite-the-latest-and-greatest BMW, is that you should find many aftermarket farkles used, and much cheaper. Lighting, windscreen, seats, head protectors (a.k.a. crash bars), are all typical add ons, that you might also benefit from.

As for the helmet, that's a highly individualized thing. If you ask 100 riders, and you'll get 100 different opinions, and (as you probably know), some are highly "religious" about these opinions.

I bought my 2018 RT in late October (also waiting for Spring to ride), and discovered that most of my riding gear was lost in my 2015 move (also, when I sold my last RT). Plus, with a six year lapse, my helmets were about 6 and 15 years old. Time for a refresh.

Unfortunately, I'm just not in the budget bracket for a $600 or $1000 helmet (and I had to buy two). More power to you if you are headed that direction. The one thing to remember about modular helmets, that with the extra hinge and other structural support, they usually are up to a pound heavier than a similar class (i.e. full face) helmet. I bought a pair of "cheap" helmets which included rider to passenger bluetooth coms, just before we stopped riding in 2015. Not only did the coms not work well, the helmets were heavy (8 pounds!!!), uncomfortable for me and too heavy for my wife. So, we headed to a local Cyclegear store to try some on, only to find that most of the brands advertised on their web site are not carried in the store. They had a few mid-grade helmets (Schuberth & Nolan), and some cheaper Italian helmets. (Lol, they had some of the high end helmets, too, but I wasn't shopping those.)

After reading multiple great reviews on the LS2 Valiant helmets (original, and the newer Valiant II), I was pretty much stuck on those. I bought one on sale for $179 for my wife via Amazon just after Black Friday, and another one direct from Europe (also on sale for about $200, but plus $50 shipping) from a company called Motocard.com. Incidentally, I found out that both the online company and LS2 are Spanish companies. My helmet shipped direct from Spain, reaching Northern Idaho within 5 days (no VAX, no taxes, no custom fees, clean transaction!). It got to us quicker than my wife's. (I'd have preferred to buy my helmet via Amazon as well, for benefit of their generous return policy and free shipping, but the Valiant II is new to the market, and was $350 to $400.)

Regarding the Valiant II, I suggestion you research some product reviews on your own. One thing that I'm certain that you'll like is that the front bar can be raised over the top of the helmet and locked in back, giving you essentially an open faced helmet. I won't ride without the bar (or full body armor and boots, i.e. "ATGATT" - all the gear, all the time), but there are those hot days when I'll at least appreciate the option. Fitment was snug, but generally true to the size chart. If you do find that you've missed the correct size, you can buy replacement pads for about $20 to size up or down (within reason, i.e. LS2 make two sizes of the shell, then the rest of the size fitment is all in the padding. (Most helmets SHOULD feel overly snug when you first buy them, because they will break in later. I had one helmet before which fit perfect out of the box, and remained that way, for about 30 days, after which it was dangerously loose. 🙄) Either Valiant model runs just under 4 lbs, which of course will go up if you add comms attachments. I believe the lightest modular helmets I've seen run about 3.5 lbs, and the full face helmets were down in the mid 2 pound range, but do your own due diligence on that.

I've used Bell, Shoei, Nolan, and probably a bunch of no-name dirt bike helmets, and this seems like the nicest helmet I've ever owned. Lightweight, pinlock (antifog) and sun visors, decent ventilation (but many reviews call it barely adequate), and other things that hit all my high points, plus, of course it was budget friendly. I HAVE NOT ridden with it, so I can't honestly tell you about wind noise, and really won't know about this helmet for certain, until I'm able to put some miles on it.

As far as color, I'm a big stickler for safety first. I got LS2's black and reflective yellow "High Vis" helmet for the wife, but the best I could do without paying $400 was a flat black helmet. (For $200, I'll find some High Vis pinstripe tape. It doesn't have to be "purdy", just safe. My color priority preference would be (a) Some sort of High Viz yellow, (b) some version of a high visibility white.

As far as helmet communications, based upon my experience I highly suggest you look into external systems (Cardo and Sena are popular and have pretty good reputations, but again, it's a highly individualized choice.) You don't want your comm system to crap out on a perfectly good helmet, and some of these integrate better with other riders (i.e. for group rides), as well as your passenger.
Finally, if you have a pillion rider, check out BMW's 49L top case, which holds the extra gear you will need, serves as a pretty good back rest, and snaps on or off in seconds. They can be pricy new, but if you don't care about color, look on Ebay for used ones, usually available for between $250 and $400..

Welcome to the BMW rider's world. Stay safe when ya finally get out there. Watch this forum and the other one I mentioned for organized events, i.e. group riders, "tech daze" type events where riders work on bikes and learn from each other, and so forth. You should have a lot of fun, because IMHO, one of the best things about riding a BMW is the other riders, doing the same. (Many of us are older, but if you're not, don't let the old farts put you off - we're harmless, (and some of these old farts still ride like the wind!). 🤣

🍻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts