BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. Been riding for 40 plus years and have owned a number of bikes from metrics to a moto g, raced dirt bikes and built and road choppers in my day. Just purchased a 13 year old K 1200 LT, one of my bucket list bikes. also currently have a sporster. I am a member of the low 12 masonic motorcycle riding group in my area, hello to any brothers out there. I am looking forward to getting my LT on the road. already dropped it in the yard unloading it from the trailer, so one right of passage is taken care of LOL.. hope to interact with other owners and share the ins and outs of this machine.

rick

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ins and outs? Sounds more like ups and downs! But seriously, welcome!

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Welcome to the site - the longer you hang the more you will enjoy!!

Since you have experienced your first drop here is your reward . . . DA on the saddle bag stands for "Droppers Anonymous"

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Welcome to the site rosmba. Make sure you watch all of Kirks videos if you haven't already. They have done a good job of summing up a lot of what being an LT owner is and requires.

Hopefully when you say you want to get her on the road, it isn't that she needs work before she is road worthy. Hopefully you also got her traveling papers so you know how she has been cared for. I didn't get anything with mine.

First big things would be flushing all fluids as a 13 year old will have the I-ABS system and not the ABS-II of my 14 year old. Kirks videos go over that.

Secondly would be those 13 year old brake lines. If they haven't been upgraded to stainless braided like Speiglers then out of safety, those should be done at your earliest convenience. I blew two before i did mine.

Anything else you need help with, this site is the place to go for any and all LT information. Post a picture of her along with adding some profile information so we know where you hail from and those near by can reach out.

Maint./ Repair Videos

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the site - the longer you hang the more you will enjoy!!

Since you have experienced your first drop here is your reward . . . DA on the saddle bag stands for "Droppers Anonymous"

LOL.. my nick name with my Masonic bike group is locktite because my hopped up sporty bobber vibrates itself apart on a long ride so I have tools and locktite in the bags. After dropping the bmw within 5 minutes one of the guys suggested they change it to drops alot. LOL...

I am in central MD. Hagerstown. I am not from here but have lived here for the last 30 years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the site rosmba. Make sure you watch all of Kirks videos if you haven't already. They have done a good job of summing up a lot of what being an LT owner is and requires.

Hopefully when you say you want to get her on the road, it isn't that she needs work before she is road worthy. Hopefully you also got her traveling papers so you know how she has been cared for. I didn't get anything with mine.

First big things would be flushing all fluids as a 13 year old will have the I-ABS system and not the ABS-II of my 14 year old. Kirks videos go over that.

Secondly would be those 13 year old brake lines. If they haven't been upgraded to stainless braided like Speiglers then out of safety, those should be done at your earliest convenience. I blew two before i did mine.

Anything else you need help with, this site is the place to go for any and all LT information. Post a picture of her along with adding some profile information so we know where you hail from and those near by can reach out.

Maint./ Repair Videos
I did get some of the early papers but nothing from the owner I bought it from. I waited till after buying to corner him on what it has had, figuring he would have little reason not to level with me. I know no guarantee but hopefully. He claims it was just gone through with filters, clutch and service within the last 4 thousand miles. It has 31k on it. He bought it with 13k on it and has owned it for 5 years. Seems like a stand up guy. All that I know that it needs, or that I hope to do, is the front tire is about half worn, the rear much newer. I will have the front tire changed and I will ask the inspection dealer to change the oil, frankly because I am up to my eye balls in stuff to do, otherwise, I'd do it myself.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I did get some of the early papers but nothing from the owner I bought it from. I waited till after buying to corner him on what it has had, figuring he would have little reason not to level with me. I know no guarantee but hopefully. He claims it was just gone through with filters, clutch and service within the last 4 thousand miles. It has 31k on it. He bought it with 13k on it and has owned it for 5 years. Seems like a stand up guy. All that I know that it needs, or that I hope to do, is the front tire is about half worn, the rear much newer. I will have the front tire changed and I will ask the inspection dealer to change the oil, frankly because I am up to my eye balls in stuff to do, otherwise, I'd do it myself.
After reading through the 3 or so threads you have posted on so far, all I can say for you to make sure of that you haven't mentioned is if the brake lines are original or if they have been replaces with stainless braid yet. That is a major safety issue but it sounds like the PO was pretty up on things so I wouldn't be surprised if they were already changed out. Good luck on getting her in service title and all so you can put some miles on her before it snows up there.

Gordon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have not looked at the brakes lines, but I have to say, I am not feeling the love here in town so far. went to two bike shops that I have dealt with here abouts for years and neither wants to even consider changing the oil on this machine. A third said he would inspect it but if it needed anything he won't work on it... but he would do an oil change for 75 bucks. Geez... I can get the oil changed in my diesel truck for a hundred and that is two filters and more oil than you can imagine.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Don't give up yet. If you're somewhat handy, you can change the oil yourself pretty easily. Watch the illinoisbmwriders.com maintenance videos and buy the oil change stuff (filter, o-rings, oil) and have at it... Brake lines are a little more complicated, but do-able. Again, watch the videos.... :bmw:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Don't give up yet. If you're somewhat handy, you can change the oil yourself pretty easily. Watch the illinoisbmwriders.com maintenance videos and buy the oil change stuff (filter, o-rings, oil) and have at it... Brake lines are a little more complicated, but do-able. Again, watch the videos.... :bmw:
+1

Screw the shops. Take matters into your own hands. Repairs on the LT are not difficult...just tedious. Well worth the pain for the ride!

Robert

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I love hagerstown. I camp in Gapland at Mapletree camp. Big on civil war history. And love the history of Sharpsburg. Nice area.

Reactions: rosmba

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the group and the LT, Rick.
As these members have illustrated, you'll find loads of help from this forum.
+1 on the tips already mentioned. Especially the Clymer manual.

My 2 cents -- is that the best deal on Bosch oil filters, is from Beemer Boneyard. If ya buy multi-packs, you can get the before-shipping cost down to a little over $5 per filter depending on what size pack you buy. And it's not that hard to work on once you've resigned yourself to the bike's uniqueness.

May the Zen (and beer) be with you while you wrench.

Bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
+1 on the Boneyard filter deal. If you can find a fold up gym mat your bones will like you more after your done. Welcome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone. I will be doing a lot of the wrenching myself, I just wanted to get the oil changed and start riding. I have so much on my plate right now. I viewed the video on changing the oil... It is a little different than anything else I have worked on. Have to replace the air compressor on my truck this week before I can get to the BMW. I am looking forward to riding it... I'll keep ya all posted and if you are in the Hagerstown area, give me a shout.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
thanks everyone. I will be doing a lot of the wrenching myself, I just wanted to get the oil changed and start riding. I have so much on my plate right now. I viewed the video on changing the oil... It is a little different than anything else I have worked on. Have to replace the air compressor on my truck this week before I can get to the BMW. I am looking forward to riding it... I'll keep ya all posted and if you are in the Hagerstown area, give me a shout.
When you get to doing it, just make sure that you check to make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter. I think the video mentions that. Sometimes the gasket sticks to the sealing surface up in the crank case so you have to reach up and pull it off before installing the new one. With 2 gaskets, it can leak, although it will all be contained inside the crank case so you won't see anything on the ground. Just affects proper oil pressure and lubrication.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It's not to hard to do most things on the LT yourself. It just takes alot time,labor intensive on some things. You can do it. Everyones here to help. Plus Kirks videos. It's really not bad. But if a dealer is needed. Bob's BMW in Laural MD is supposed to be ok. Don't know far it is from you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bob's has first come first served service on Saturdays. I've meet guys there that had road 3 or 4 hours. The line starts forming before 6am sometimes. Get the MD inspection at a non BMW shop, they will be a lot easier on you because they don't know the machine. Check out BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington for all things BMW in Maryland and Virginia.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is a well regarded independent BMW shop in Manassas, VA, about 80 mi from Hagerstown called Beemer Uber Alles. Consider joining the metropolitan DC/MD BMW group called BMWBMW, website is BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington. The club has extensive technical expertise in all things BMW. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts