BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question I recently change the oil in my bike
I used a Bosch oil filter 3330 it was smaller in diameter then the OEM BMW oil filter road for a very short distance and develop (5 miles ) disturbing engine noise road it two more times short distance trying to figure out where the noise coming from Doug the old oil filter out of the trash to verify that I did not leave the oil gasket on there .I did not
drain the oil out, refilled it with fresh oil 20-50 GTX with the OEM oil filter back in and n started back up.. noise went away.I have road it for 500 miles with no return on the noise has anyone ever run into this thanks you so much for your input PS the bike has been sitting up quite a bit in the last 3 years

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I have a question I recently change the oil in my bike
I used a Bosch oil filter 3330 it was smaller in diameter then the OEM BMW oil filter road for a very short distance and develop (5 miles ) disturbing engine noise road it two more times short distance trying to figure out where the noise coming from Doug the old oil filter out of the trash to verify that I did not leave the oil gasket on there .I did not
drain the oil out, refilled it with fresh oil 20-50 GTX with the OEM oil filter back in and n started back up.. noise went away.I have road it for 500 miles with no return on the noise has anyone ever run into this thanks you so much for your input PS the bike has been sitting up quite a bit in the last 3 years
Corbin, I have not heard of this happening before and I am not personally familiar with the Bosch 3330 filter. If it was smaller enough in diameter that it was blocking or partially blocking the oil flow, I can see you having an issue like that. That or the filter is somehow defective. If putting the OEM filter back in resolved your issue, I would say get a filter that is a better match or an OEM filter and not risk damage to your engine.

Just a note, I am using a Fram PH6063 and that does list as a cross to the 3330 Bosch and I have had no such issue.

When you checked for the gasket on your filter, did you look up to make sure there wasn't an old one still up there in the crank case that maybe the OEM filter sealed against and the new one didn't with it's slightly smaller diameter?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
If you want an interesting read and the benefits of OEM on your LT read this article from our friend Ari in Finland.

Ooops it appears that the picsaweb link has died. I'll see if Ari can provide it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts