BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm trying to be a BMW rider not just an owner. I would like to be a new register to this community on different terms but I'm looking for advice. I'll explain. I have some extra time in my retirement so I decided to purchase another motorcycle against my wifes wishes. I came across this 2002 K1200LT for a cheap price and thought, Wow, that would be a nice bike to have. Its last registered plate was back in 2016 that is why the bike was so cheap. The guy just wanted to get rid of it. He received it from a guy who wasn't able to ride it anymore for a trade in some landscaping work.
I finally bought it and knew I would have some repair work to put into it to get it back to road worthy. (Tires, brakes, fluids, battery, etc..)
But first I need to get it running on its own, not just by spraying starting fluid up it arse. So that's where I stand. This could be a long and loving relationship, (hopefully) or a short and sad one.
I will be posting my first post in the "I need some repair advice" section.
So I hope this is what a good introduction post is supposed to be. Or it might be a bad first impression.
Thanks, Guy Aiello
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
You will love it if you do all the repairing and maintenance yourself. Great YouTube videos on repairing/knowing this bike. I'm learning myself on my 2002 but retirement is 1-2 years from now whenever all contracted jobs and old bids taken are done...... Does your throttle work smoothly?

Land vehicle Sky Vehicle Wheel Tire

Tire Sky Wheel Plant Vehicle

Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tree

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Mountain

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will love it if you do all the repairing and maintenance yourself. Great YouTube videos on repairing/knowing this bike. I'm learning myself on my 2002 but retirement is 1-2 years from now whenever all contracted jobs and old bids taken are done...... Does your throttle work smoothly?

View attachment 180825
View attachment 180826

View attachment 180827
View attachment 180828
Thank you. And no, my throttle does not work smoothly. I tried to oil the throttle cables at both ends but didn't seem to help. There is a cable going back to the cruise or another device, I suspect one of those.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Hi Guy!
Beautiful ride!
You definitely want to do your own maintenance and read up on the LT to make your life much easier.
Watch Kirk Johnson videos... and replace more than just the "tires, brakes, fluids, battery, etc... "
"Etc.," will be a bit longer list considering the bike is 20 years old.
If the bike hasn't run in a while, a big item will probably be the fuel pump, and fuel lines, and all the rubber.
And, if the throttle cables are tight lube probably won't be the solution.
If you don't have a Clymer manual, order one and watch Kirk Johnson videos while you wait for it to arrive.
You may love to hate the "Tupperware," then perhaps learn to love it.

You may want to join the Northern Illinois BMW Riders – Welcome

I live in southern CA, but joined to support the free help provided by Kirk Johnson, and the club.
Cheers!

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
377 Posts
Congratulations! This could be a fun project. (I'm in Redlands. I've had 3 KLTs.) It will be nice to get it running. Looks like it still has rubber brake lines. Those should be changed for stainless. You may have problems w/ fuel pump & lines which are inside gas tank. Great local resource is Lior's shop in Corona. He's an excellent BMW mechanic w/ experience on KLTs. https://liorelbaz.com/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't be too surprised if you end up with an expensive ABS issue.I bought a 40 k mile 02 that had sat for a couple of years.Paid $2500 and thought it was a hell of a deal.Brake warning lights were flashing when I got it but being as it had sat and BMW being the first with ABS I wasn't concerned.Did a complete brake flush and got the lights to go out.Got about 600 miles out of it before the lights returned and no frt brakes.Tried everything under the sun after that and eventually pulled the pump assembly and tore it down.Made sure all the external switches and wiring was good first though.So anyways the pump internals and circuit board appeared to be clean and in good condition.I suspect a bad internal pressure sensor but as you can't buy new and not wanting to spend the time on a used one that may or may not be good I decided to bypass the ABS.Rode this year with normal brakes that work fine other than the rear being a bit touchy for my liking but the big issue for me now is that I can't sell it as it won't pass an inspection with the ABS removed.Just something for you to ponder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't be too surprised if you end up with an expensive ABS issue.I bought a 40 k mile 02 that had sat for a couple of years.Paid $2500 and thought it was a hell of a deal.Brake warning lights were flashing when I got it but being as it had sat and BMW being the first with ABS I wasn't concerned.Did a complete brake flush and got the lights to go out.Got about 600 miles out of it before the lights returned and no frt brakes.Tried everything under the sun after that and eventually pulled the pump assembly and tore it down.Made sure all the external switches and wiring was good first though.So anyways the pump internals and circuit board appeared to be clean and in good condition.I suspect a bad internal pressure sensor but as you can't buy new and not wanting to spend the time on a used one that may or may not be good I decided to bypass the ABS.Rode this year with normal brakes that work fine other than the rear being a bit touchy for my liking but the big issue for me now is that I can't sell it as it won't pass an inspection with the ABS removed.Just something for you to ponder.
Yea the brake ABS lights are screaming. Haven got to that yet. Did ride it down the block and back and didn't notice any issues with the brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations! This could be a fun project. (I'm in Redlands. I've had 3 KLTs.) It will be nice to get it running. Looks like it still has rubber brake lines. Those should be changed for stainless. You may have problems w/ fuel pump & lines which are inside gas tank. Great local resource is Lior's shop in Corona. He's an excellent BMW mechanic w/ experience on KLTs. https://liorelbaz.com/
Thanks for your input. Yea, I have replace everything under the fuel pump cap. Had a hard time soldering wires to the badly corroded electric connectors. (I did clean out the tank best I could), Not much left of those 2 connectors. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and was able to finally get a ride to the corner and back before it died right before parking it in the garage. I assumed it was good and reassembled all the body pieces. Tried to start it the next day and haven't been able to as of yet. Pulled the pump again today and everything seems to be working ok.
Now I am trying to locate some fittings to place in the fuel lines to test fuel pressure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea the brake ABS lights are screaming. Haven got to that yet. Did ride it down the block and back and didn't notice any issues with the brakes.
I hope you have better luck than I did with the ABS or you at least live where it can pass a state inspection without it.Not trying to discourage you or put you off the bike,just trying to give you some insight from my experience.When I bought my 02 the ABS was the last thing I was concerned about because being the first bike with ABS(that I know of) and German engineering I figured it would be good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts