BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New "bike" (shhh...don't tell my Beemer buddies!)

2012 Vespa GTS300ie

WAIT! Let me explain!

The KEY to the above photo is not the bike, but the rider. My lovely bride, Cheri, has never wanted to pilot her own motorcycle, no matter how small. However, she has long (since a kid) loved classic Vespa scooters, and lately has shown an interest in learning to ride one. Since I've always maintained that any scooter that doesn't have enough oomph to get out of the way (of whatever) is unsafe, the only Vespa I said I would even consider was the 300 (surprising torque, top speed of 80mph, etc.). I tried to steer her towards something bigger (Silver Wing, etc.), and even got her to try out an Aprilia 500 Scarabeo, but she ONLY would consider a Vespa brand scooter with the bugeye headlight, round mirrors, etc.

So...earlier this week, I sold my Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord (adventure touring bike), and we bought a brand new Vespa GTS 300ie. While there's no comparison, the Vespa has one thing my Aprilia (or my beloved K1200LT) could never have - my wife at the helm! :wave Right now, she's just driving at slow speeds around our private-drive circle, but she's getting increasingly more comfortable, and is already signed up for the MSF Basic course in a few weeks.

As for the scooter itself? Well, I had to ride it the 20 miles from the dealer (Lynnwood Cycle Barn) home, and I was really surprised at how fun it was/is to ride! It's quite spunky, and it handles better than I expected. While I'd prefer larger wheels, its 12-inch wheels are larger than most (smaller) scooters, and it feels surprisingly solid at 60mph. Cheri says she never plans to ride on the freeway (like I did bringing it home), but I think we'll be able to take trips on regular highways (e.g., down the Oregon coast). And who knows - as she becomes more comfortable on 2 wheels, maybe she'll some day want a "real" bike! ;)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Congratulations, Cheri - looks like a perfect fit. And there is plenty of time to get acquainted with the scoot before the beeg doings in Bend next year!! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Congrats, Cheri, and Bruce! I agree with Dick, she should come to Bend.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that's very possible (there are plenty of backroads between Seattle and Bend!). It really depends on how many miles she puts on it between now and then! If we take a few shorter trips, I'm sure she'll get comfortable enough to make the trip to CCR! I was concerned about how stable/solid the scooter would feel at speed, but I really think it could cruise at 60-65mph all day long.

Oh, and it gets 70mpg on the highway! :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Looks nice, but how much hot sauce can it carry? ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.