BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new to me 2005 K 1200 LT delivered to my house. Haven't ridden it yet because there is a strong fuel smell, coolant leaking on the floor off the left side and a light blinking brake failure. :confused:

I'm gonna start searching the threads but please point me in the right direction if anyone is out there.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Welcome to the LT world!
If the coolant is leaking along the left side around mid bike it may njust be the expansion tank overflow. Perhaps it was recently serviced and if the temp is higher where you are than wherever it left from it probably is just overflow. You can view the coolant level by popening the left saddlebag and shining a light at the tank to view the level through the small slit at the front of the bag opening.
As far as the fuel smell goes, you want to check your Quick Disconnects (QD's) for the tank which are low on the right side just forward of the footpeg. You will need to remove some tupperware in order to access the QD's if they are the culprit.

HTH,
John

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Also the Flashing brake lights on the dash is normal till you ride the bike a few feet. The ABS will do a self test every time you start the bike. The lights will go out after about 20 feet of forward movement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I admit that I didn't touch and smell the liquid I just assumed it was coolant when I should have know it was fuel with the strong smell that was filling my garage. Anyway it's puking fuel when I start it up so I'd assume that a fuel line is loose or that one of the quick disconnects is broken. Anyway looking at old threads about removing the tupperware to find it. I was really looking forward to checking the oil and air pressure and taking a ride this afternoon.

Thanks for the info the brake failure light went away...had to drive it a few feet just to see.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Look HERE

I like the Jiffy Tite QD's much better than the BMW ones..

In the meantime.. Go down to Autozone and get some 5/16" straight barb couplers and a couple of hose clamps and replace the leaker for now...

The QD's are on the right side under the small silver side cover..
You have to take off the right side bumper and the piece behind it....Maybe the right side too.. I just don't remember... But 45 minutes should get you into riding condition again..

Another thing I like about the R1200CLC..10 seconds or less to get to the fuel QD's..Just pop off the side cover...

Good Luck.. Be glad it wasn't coolant...

John

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
JPSpen said:
Look HERE

I like the Jiffy Tite QD's much better than the BMW ones..
+1 on the Jiffy QDs from RPW...

+1, also, on the welcome!

·
Registered
478 Posts
it could also be only the o rings on th qd,s had that issue was a quick fix and very inexpencive, i did order the metal qd,s and will install them later

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
bobst2 said:
it could also be only the o rings on th qd,s had that issue was a quick fix and very inexpencive, i did order the metal qd,s and will install them later
Time is not your friend here, install them now. Less than an hour, really! Make sure you have something to pinch the gas line.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are there any issues on that bike of cracking flange around the quick disconnect area on the tank, like on the RT?
Or not?
dc

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
David13 said:
Are there any issues on that bike of cracking flange around the quick disconnect area on the tank, like on the RT?
Or not?
dc
Nope the QDs are at the end of a hose and the fitting to the tank is all metal. Not like the RT and GS which have the QD on the tank flange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts