BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes. Last night I needed a boost, problem was I was going for a ride with a HD driver. He got a kick out of having to boost a BMW. The battery, I think, is original, 1999. I am going out to buy one in a couple hours. It will not be from BMW, but, a local bike store. Is there anything I should be aware of before I buy? The charging system is at 13.4 volts at idle, 13.8-9 when reved a bit.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,458 Posts
garry_kramer said:
Well here goes. Last night I needed a boost, problem was I was going for a ride with a HD driver. He got a kick out of having to boost a BMW. The battery, I think, is original, 1999. I am going out to buy one in a couple hours. It will not be from BMW, but, a local bike store. Is there anything I should be aware of before I buy? The charging system is at 13.4 volts at idle, 13.8-9 when reved a bit.

Thanks
Hi, Garry - I'd either take the existing battery to the store for them to match dimensional size, or use the following:

Volts = 12V
Amp Hours = 19Ah
Length = 7"
Width = 3 1/16"
Heighth = 6 5/8"
Cold cranking amps = Plus side of 680 CCA.

If time permits, batteries are readily available through web-shopping (such as BatteryMart.com) and usually rather quickly. Lead acid batteries are common and usually have to be charged prior to use; and can't be shipped liquid-filled; fill them once on your premises (although there are sealed lead-acid batteries that might get around this Haz-Mat rule). Gel-mat types, such as the Odyssey PC680, are sealed units, are normally ready to go right outta the box, and can be shipped by common carrier, since no potential loss of toxic liquid. They'll hold a non-parasitic load charge for nearly two years.

HTH, Garry. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
You probably did this, but check the fluid level. You may get a little shopping/shipping time if the electrolyte is low, and you can add some distilled water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Battery

Hi Garry;

If you can wait out the delivery time go to www.digikey.com and search for a Panasonic LC-X1220P. You'll find the battery around $77CDN plus $8 shipping and GST only, no PST. They drop ship on the Canadian side of the border daily so no Customs clearance, or charges, for you. It's a typical lead acid (fillable, not sealed) battery and is at least equivalent to the original. I remember phoning battery suppliers around Toronto and the odd one will have the Odyssey at around $180. I decided I'd take the chance on two replacements at the cheaper price than gamble on a longer life with the more expensive battery .......... All debatable opinions of course!!!

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
PC680 and you do not have to check fluids. I just put one in my bike last week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
hognot said:
The pc 680 on ebay used to be around 70 bucks. I bought one there a couple of years ago. Check it out!
I needed one and would'nt you know it, none on eBay. I had to order from a battery company and it cost me $95.00 and one day later, there they were back on eBay. But it was $92.00 and free shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
I have the Panasonic LC-X1220P battery. However, mine is a sealed lead acid battery and it has a slightly higher capacity than the standard BMW battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
731 Posts
Batteries Plus sells the PC 680 and most of the time they have them in stock. I put on in my bike earlier this year, and it works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
HammerStar said:
Hi Garry;

If you can wait out the delivery time go to www.digikey.com and search for a Panasonic LC-X1220P. You'll find the battery around $77CDN plus $8 shipping and GST only, no PST. They drop ship on the Canadian side of the border daily so no Customs clearance, or charges, for you. It's a typical lead acid (fillable, not sealed) battery and is at least equivalent to the original. I remember phoning battery suppliers around Toronto and the odd one will have the Odyssey at around $180. I decided I'd take the chance on two replacements at the cheaper price than gamble on a longer life with the more expensive battery .......... All debatable opinions of course!!!

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
That is a top notch battery, you will get exceptionally long service life from it. An excellent choice. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered

RonKMiller said:
That is a top notch battery, you will get exceptionally long service life from it. An excellent choice. ;)
Ordered the LC-X1220P $76.64 cdn + $8.00 shipping + $5.08 tax

They had over 1500 in stock, hope to get it ASAP.

Thanks All
Garry
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
astuber said:
I have the Panasonic LC-X1220P battery. However, mine is a sealed lead acid battery and it has a slightly higher capacity than the standard BMW battery.
I bought one of them on line and it was ready to use when I received it, no charging required. In fact I installed the battery some 3 months after receiving and it still had a full charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
zippy_gg said:
I bought one of them on line and it was ready to use when I received it, no charging required. In fact I installed the battery some 3 months after receiving and it still had a full charge.
I have quit using my battery tender with the Panasonic battery. I bought the battery tender to use with the BMW battery because the stock battery would have problems maintaining a charge if I didn't ride for 4-5 days. This is not a problem with the Panasonic battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
garry_kramer said:
Ordered the LC-X1220P $76.64 cdn + $8.00 shipping + $5.08 tax
My dash is doing some funny stuff. I lose everything when the outside temp goes high, even the center stand does not work. Once the temp cools down in the low 20s C it all starts working again. I may need a new battery soon.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top