BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LT and need to replace the battery and never have done this before.
Can someone give me instructions on how to do it? Also, when you disconnect the battery does it mess up your radio and other items. Thanks so much.

Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, I haven't done it personally, but it doesn't look too difficult. What I did want to comment on is that I have seen products that use a small battery that plugs into a power port that claim to be able to save all of your preset info such as saved radio stations, clock etc. Saw one at Wally world actually, in the battery section.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
write down the radio channels
make sure new battery is fully charged

always disconnect the negative first

then disconnect the positive
remove old battery

clean everything down there including the wire terminations

install new battery
apply de-ox (or grease) to terminals
connect POSITIVE first
then connect the negative

you should perform the throttle TPS reset:
Turn on key but do not start, rotate throttle to full open and back twice then key off. Start as normal.

It can take several miles to completely stabilize. Mine took about 30 miles to clear up and idle smoothly.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
What Smoke said...

The proper order to take a battery out is NEGATIVE first, then positive. Installation is POSITIVE first then negative. ...

Changed my battery, no issues. Changed it fast enough not to have to do anything with the alarm or radio. YMMV. Oh ya big spark. :D

good precaution to write down your settings and do the TPS reset.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
On my '02 I did right the radio stations down etc. But after installing the new battery I found all my stations were there. My headlight came on though. :confused: A disconnect and a reconnect solved that issue though. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
On my '02 I did right the radio stations down etc. But after installing the new battery I found all my stations were there. My headlight came on though. :confused: A disconnect and a reconnect solved that issue though. :confused:
+1. I remove the battery in early winter and reinstall it in early spring. Never lost a station setting. Only the clock needs to be set correctly. I agree completely with the order of connect/disconnect. I always forget about the TPS reset. Bike runs great. I haven't noticed a difference once I do remember to do it. I'm always really anxious to ride after the winter off-season.
Something I learned on this forum was, on disconect, to loop tie-wraps through the positive group and negative group of removed wire connectors. Keeps them all together and helps to keep them out of the way on installation.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
You'll want to have your key fob handy. The anti theft alarm goes off when I re-connect the battery on my '02.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
You'll want to have your key fob handy. The anti theft alarm goes off when I re-connect the battery on my '02
+1 ... And that baby is loud inside my shed :yeah:

·
Registered
415 Posts
my alarm also went off when I reconnected, found the shut off procdure by searching previous threads with the subject line, you'll need the code from your alarm card that came with the bike to turn it off.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
How long did your battery last?

Was this a service interval or were there signs of Battery failure? I don't have a problem but Nov. and Dec. I had the tender connected the 4th week of those two then I left in on for all of Jan. and Feb. and took it off the 2nd week of Mar. when the temp started hovering around the mid 30's. New bike and new battery so she kicked over right away.

My YUSA battery on my GW I used to have to change every season and one time I disconnected and brought it in the house/basement. And the only reason it lasted more than a season was because I stopped riding early the 2nd year (September) and when I tried to start for TOYS FOR TOTS ride in Dec. nothing. :bmw:
ride safe

·
Registered
135 Posts
billsmith said:
How long did your battery last?
Any time I'll be more than a couple of days before I ride again, I will have mine on a tender. If I don't, it will go from slower cranking to not starting any time from 7 - 10 days. If you try to start it in that condition, other problems can arise. Its just way easier to leave it on the tender. Started it up back in February, temp about freezing, and it started right up and ran perfectly.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thanks for that Ross.

Nobody likes to mess up and when there is so much knowledge here why waste it. As I mentioned my Goldwing used to cost me a battery every year and I used to charge that thing. When I picked up my LT I was told not to use the GW charger but rather get the BMW tender (both look the same and about the same size). Plus I am suppose to have a gel battery as opposed to a led/acid and that I should /could plug the bike up every month or just leave it to trickle for the 3-4 month winter.

So when I read about battery change I wanted to see the reasons why? the conditions of the battery environment and how long was battery life? In my neck of the woods I don't see too many . . . no I don't see any LT's with extra lighting accessories or after market drain of power and these batteries are big compared to the GW. But I am learning.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts