BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I am new to this forum but not new to motorcycle forums in general.
I have a 2000 k1200LT Triked in 2005. It’s an awesome machine and has only 42,000 miles on it. I have 2 questions..not related to it being a trike (well not yet).
1) My anti-lock brake LIGHTS trigger on when the RPM get too low. Is there a fix for this? I did read in the past this is common in the 1999 and 2000 models. Any input would be helpful.

2) My windshield always fogs up and appears to have a glaze over it. Can you please recommend where I can get a replacement and what my choices are.

For now that all I got…I’m glad to be part of this forum and hope some of my knowledge (as minimum as it is) can help someone in the future.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of LT's! I'm a hack guy (see avatar) so don't know anything about trikes but will give you a hint toward the windshield.

The haze is a well known "feature" of the factory shields. You can remove the haze using 70% + alcohol available at your local pharmacy and a soft towel. Or...... you can use the search tool in the forum and find out more about windshields than you would ever care to know!

I removed the coating from my shield using Gorilla brand duct tape. No more fogging but shield surface is not perfect. Doesn't matter to me as I always look over the top of the shield.

There was quite the polarized discussion just last week on the merits of polycarb vs. non-polycarb aftermarket shields.

Again, welcome and you have a beautiful trike!

Loren

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
1 - Make sure your brake fluid level is good in the reservoirs under the seat. Kinda tough to find them the first time.

2 - Cee Bailey's ver 2

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome Jeff

Hey Awesome looking Trike man do you have any pic's you can post of it? Long term planning says I'll be moving in that direction sooner then I had wanted to think.

Like the other posts make sure your Brake fluid is up and or you might want to check the Pads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the LT!

Your situation kind of reminds me of my R12C, whent the battery was dying. When the rpm's were low, the abs brake lights flashed. You had to turn the bike off and start it again to make it stop(if you were lucky). How old is your battery?

Hope you have many great and safe rides!
Kirk

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
ON your brake lights....
1- possible battery issue (most likely due to the RPM affecting the light)
2- rear brake fluid level

On the WS... there are numerous choices/styles/shapes/features I have a "tall BMW Stock" shield you might like... How tall are ya?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keepitreal_k said:
Welcome to the LT!

Your situation kind of reminds me of my R12C, whent the battery was dying. When the rpm's were low, the abs brake lights flashed. You had to turn the bike off and start it again to make it stop(if you were lucky). How old is your battery?

Hope you have many great and safe rides!
Kirk

The battery is brand new.
It only happens when the RPM’s get too low. My brake fluid is fine. But remember it’s a TRIKE and my rear is 2 wheels.
But I did read a while back that the older models have a malfunction in the ABS flasher lights. I was just wondering if that can be easily replace or fixed. The other concern is when they are flashing does that mean my ABS are disables? I sure home not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cfell said:
ON your brake lights....
1- possible battery issue (most likely due to the RPM affecting the light)
2- rear brake fluid level

On the WS... there are numerous choices/styles/shapes/features I have a "tall BMW Stock" shield you might like... How tall are ya?

I am 5'6
I would like to replace the windshiled whith the exact same size and shape. Just a better one that wont fog and glaze over all the time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kra961 said:
Welcome Jeff

Hey Awesome looking Trike man do you have any pic's you can post of it? Long term planning says I'll be moving in that direction sooner then I had wanted to think.

Like the other posts make sure your Brake fluid is up and or you might want to check the Pads.
Some Photos for you to see

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I believe it does mean the abs is disabled, although normal braking shouldn't be affected. This might be one of those 'read the code' situations, either a dealer or with a gs-911?

Do you know if it did this before you bought it?
Kirk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Awesome Pic Jeff Thanks

That's a Hannigan Mod isn't it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2000 LT converted to a trike. The conversion does not matter, but the ABS lights come on blinking from time to time. Just stop, turn off the engine, restart, and all is OK. The original owner told me that this would happen (before it was triked), and it happened to him from time to time.

Don't worry, be happy!

:bmw:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Check the running voltage, especially at low rpm. Since your battery is new, I suspect the alternator may be weak (worn brushes) although that is not a common LT problem.

Tons of windshield options. Best to have one you can see over but gives you the wind protection you want when you need it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scubajgp said:
I have a 2000 LT converted to a trike. The conversion does not matter, but the ABS lights come on blinking from time to time. Just stop, turn off the engine, restart, and all is OK. The original owner told me that this would happen (before it was triked), and it happened to him from time to time.

Don't worry, be happy!

:bmw:
I was told the same thing. Shut it off and then keep rolling. I just thought there was a "forum friendly" fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts