BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NEW 09 LT Is Being Shipped To Me Tomorrow

Well as I had posted last week my ole 02 was totaled out in the collision, no real surprise based on the amount of damage it sustained. By the way, I have to take my hat off to Progressive Insurance. I had a check in hand four days following the accident. They paid to replace all my riding gear, including my helmet. All the extras I had on the LT were paid. That included the new Ohlins I had put on my LT in Feb/2011.
I was able to find the 09 right hear in this forum located outside Lafayette, Indiana (Thanks to Mike B.) and will be shipping to its new home on the west coast tomorrow.
It should be here the middle of next week, can't wait.

I was torn between going after a 1600 or keeping with the LT line for another couple of years. I decided to stick with the LT line, and figure in a couple of years the market will be flooded with new used 1600's. So if I am still want one at that time then I will get one, I am sure all the bugs will be worked out of them my then. Anyhow here I sit rehabbing waiting for my 2009 K1200LT to arrive....
Life is good!!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
All right Bill! You can ride with a bunch of us to CCR now! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did the insurance company allow you to buy the wrecked LT back? The pictures make it look like there might be a few usable parts on it, may an Ebay fest in the future?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Won't make the CCR this year, but thanks for the offer. But you guys have a safe trip out there. Not sure how long it will be before I will be riding, have an MRI scheduled for the end of the month.
I didn't want the LT for parting out it made me sick enough just looking at it... There really wasn't many parts left, the rear wheel got knocked off center about 1/2 to 3/4 of inch. The only green that was usable was the front fender.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree with Bill. There is hardly anything more difficult to look at than a totaled LT. The worst one was the one that got caught up in the tornado earlier this year.

Glad to hear you are getting another LT. At least you know what the potential issues are. Might be kind of finding new ones on the GTL though.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good news on your new ride Bill, hope your rehab goes well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd have delivered it if you'd fly me home!

Congrats on the new ride and "getting back on the horse"!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Grats on your new ride Bill Awesome the insurance covered all the accessories as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for all of your kind words and thoughts, and Lurch102 thank you for the offer of riding it west for me. Kra961 I plan on doing some of the same mods you did on your LT. The first thing I am doing is calling my dealer and buying the extended warranty, while the LT is still under the manufacturer warranty. And then it’s on to getting the accessories ordered and installed.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Chipper said:
Thank you all for all of your kind words and thoughts, and Lurch102 thank you for the offer of riding it west for me. Kra961 I plan on doing some of the same mods you did on your LT. The first thing I am doing is calling my dealer and buying the extended warranty, while the LT is still under the manufacturer warranty. And then it’s on to getting the accessories ordered and installed.
Congrats on the 09 LT!!!
First really cheap mod is to tether the mirrors, then it's downhill from there and you will find yourself tearing down the bike to run wires, etc...!:D
Sorry you can't make CCR... Many wishes of fast and complete recovery!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Chipper said:
LOL I think with this bike the Extended warranty is an absolute must given the cost of some of the components yikes. I have one more piece to buy which is the Wilber Front Shock installed the rear (what a difference) and I'm done I think or until some other shiny bit catches the eye.

If you have any questions drop a line glad to help out.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
"LOL I think with this bike the Extended warranty is an absolute must given the cost of some of the components yikes. I have one more piece to buy which is the Wilber Front Shock installed the rear (what a difference) and I'm done I think or until some other shiny bit catches the eye.
If you have any questions drop a line glad to help out."

Thank you, you just might be getting a call from me questioning something.

Yes the tethers are on my list, thank for reminding me!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bill, I have an 09 LT. I am pretty sure that the tethers are on the mirrors from the factory. I know mine were. Heal quickly and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
garyw said:
Bill, I have an 09 LT. I am pretty sure that the tethers are on the mirrors from the factory. I know mine were. Heal quickly and enjoy your new ride.
Very good point, I will check. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I do plan on enjoying the 09 LT, maybe I will heal up faster with it sitting in my garage.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Chipper said:
The only green that was usable was the front fender.

That is the only part I'm shopping for as mine decided to crack/split along the seam. Dang.....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Chipper said:
maybe I will heal up faster with it sitting in my garage.....
Mentally that is a FACT ...... Physically not so fast, these old bonz just don't heal like they do while we're young.

Congrats on the 09 ride ... Nice bike indeed !

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Family_fun said:
That is the only part I'm shopping for as mine decided to crack/split along the seam. Dang.....
To be truthful I bought that front fender to replace my original one that cracked also. I did this about a year ago. Bought it on line I didn't pay what BMW wanted, but it was still expensive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
motorhead said:
Mentally that is a FACT ...... Physically not so fast, these old bonz just don't heal like they do while we're young.

Congrats on the 09 ride ... Nice bike indeed !

Oh so true........................

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 09 had factory teathers on the mirrors, so far they haven't been needed but it doen't take much to dislodge the mirrors as my wife has bumped them and almost broke one away . Enjoy the ride!!! You will heal faster when you see that bike sitting in your garage. Take care. Ron

·
Registered
204 Posts
Chipper said:
To be truthful I bought that front fender to replace my original one that cracked also. I did this about a year ago. Bought it on line I didn't pay what BMW wanted, but it was still expensive.

I'm attempting a repair on the one I have. In the meantime, looking for a fender off an 1100RT which I believe will bolt up, hopefully be less expensive, and give me a different look as that fender comes down lower almost covering the calipers. good luck with your recovery and your new ride!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts