BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me to some threads on Fuel and pinging? I know there are probably some out there. The manual calls for 95 octane however I can only find 93 as most of you can. Any additives I can get to help with this or do I just need to try different brands? Pings worse with the wife on the back of course under load. I only have 1200 miles on the bike brand new, so I would like to get this resolved soon. Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I would take to the dealer to see if any vacuum lines were not put on correctly at the factory.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,249 Posts
You should not have any pinging on 93 gas. You have 1200 miles on her and you need to get the rpms up. Normal cruise on the interstate is the only time you should be in 5th. She performs best between 3,500 and 7,500. First gear is good to 62 mph. Let the girl sing. If you are pouring on the coals from 2,500 rpm you will get some racket, drop her down a few gears and see how that feels.
 

·
Just ridin'
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
Bmw617 said:
Can someone point me to some threads on Fuel and pinging? I know there are probably some out there. The manual calls for 95 octane however I can only find 93 as most of you can. Any additives I can get to help with this or do I just need to try different brands? Pings worse with the wife on the back of course under load. I only have 1200 miles on the bike brand new, so I would like to get this resolved soon. Thanks for any help.
We really haven't seen a lot of pinging on LTs. If it really is doing it with premium fuel, there may be a problem that needs the dealer's attention. One thing I have frequently is people coming off other brands that offer much more low end torque and trying to drive the LT the same way. The LT engine likes to live above 3,000 RPM and if you shift early and keep it below that, you will experience some pinging. If you are experiencing the pinging in the 1500-2500RPM range, you might try keeping it in a lower gear a little longer. Not only is the engine happier above 3,000, it only sings above 5,000 :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
jzeiler said:
You should not have any pinging on 93 gas. You have 1200 miles on her and you need to get the rpms up. Normal cruise on the interstate is the only time you should be in 5th. She performs best between 3,500 and 7,500. First gear is good to 62 mph. Let the girl sing. If you are pouring on the coals from 2,500 rpm you will get some racket, drop her down a few gears and see how that feels.
This :check:
I usually shift between 5-6K, she really likes it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
09 here as well I've found that you don't want the fuel from the place with two numbers or the daytime night time place keep your Revs up don't drive with two up @ city speeds in 5th it lugs the engine down to much this bike as everyone else has said likes higher rev's. Don't know what bike you just came off of but this beast is a little different and is going to take a little bit of behavior change on your part to keep it happy.

Bmw617 said:
Can someone point me to some threads on Fuel and pinging? I know there are probably some out there. The manual calls for 95 octane however I can only find 93 as most of you can. Any additives I can get to help with this or do I just need to try different brands? Pings worse with the wife on the back of course under load. I only have 1200 miles on the bike brand new, so I would like to get this resolved soon. Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Bmw617 said:
Can someone point me to some threads on Fuel and pinging? I know there are probably some out there. The manual calls for 95 octane however I can only find 93 as most of you can. Any additives I can get to help with this or do I just need to try different brands? Pings worse with the wife on the back of course under load. I only have 1200 miles on the bike brand new, so I would like to get this resolved soon. Thanks for any help.
It would help if you filled in more on your profile so we know where you are located. Here in the SW we only get 91 to 92 octane. The best way you can learn to ride the lady is set aside some vacation and come on out to the next Red River Rally and bring your seat belt cause you will learn all about her. You will leave never riding in the 3K range again in any gear but usually hovering and cruising at the 4k range. Like Randy said she loves to sing the opera between 6-7K when you are riding the tight corners, sweeping turns and short straitaways around the Red River area. Last year was my first year there and it was like WOW, an Awakening. This year Lonesome Rider came up from TX and his comment was something to the effect " I never get out of second gear around here". You'll hit third gear on some of the straightaways doing 70-80 mph.

Just crank it UP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Kra961 said:
09 here as well I've found that you don't want the fuel from the place with two numbers or the daytime night time place keep your Revs up don't drive with two up @ city speeds in 5th it lugs the engine down to much this bike as everyone else has said likes higher rev's. Don't know what bike you just came off of but this beast is a little different and is going to take a little bit of behavior change on your part to keep it happy.

Here in Boise, the only station that has the no-ethanol shit is Philips 66.
I've been running it for 2 years, up hills, in heat, you name it. She purrs and I've never had one ping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jzeiler said:
You should not have any pinging on 93 gas. You have 1200 miles on her and you need to get the rpms up. Normal cruise on the interstate is the only time you should be in 5th. She performs best between 3,500 and 7,500. First gear is good to 62 mph. Let the girl sing. If you are pouring on the coals from 2,500 rpm you will get some racket, drop her down a few gears and see how that feels.
Thanks I'll try to keep her wound tight and see if that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2005 LT with 24k miles. It starts to smooth out once I hit 3k RPM's. I often wondered if something was wong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that sounds like a great time. Sounds like I better get used to running her in the 4k and above range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
robasay said:
It would help if you filled in more on your profile so we know where you are located. Here in the SW we only get 91 to 92 octane. The best way you can learn to ride the lady is set aside some vacation and come on out to the next Red River Rally and bring your seat belt cause you will learn all about her. You will leave never riding in the 3K range again in any gear but usually hovering and cruising at the 4k range. Like Randy said she loves to sing the opera between 6-7K when you are riding the tight corners, sweeping turns and short straitaways around the Red River area. Last year was my first year there and it was like WOW, an Awakening. This year Lonesome Rider came up from TX and his comment was something to the effect " I never get out of second gear around here". You'll hit third gear on some of the straightaways doing 70-80 mph.

Just crank it UP!
Wow that sounds like a great time and great learning experience at the Red River Rally. Looks like I need to get used to running her at 4k and above.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top