BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with a set of these babies on this '08 Ultra Classic.

Straight from a demo of the new-for-'08 ABS option at today's press event at the Softail factory. Also check out the video of 'what happens without ABS'.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Great video.

Do they have a video with ABS. If you show this someone, ie your sponse on ABS they have no clue. So if you had another video that shows straight line braking and go, this is what happens with ABS.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
...with a set of these babies on this '08 Ultra Classic.

Straight from a demo of the new-for-'08 ABS option at today's press event at the Softail factory. Also check out the video of 'what happens without ABS'.
I was literally just sitting here finishing up a final patent application on a new product when I saw this... VERY FUNNY! :D

Gee, why didn't I think of that? :think:

Actually, it would work REALLY well for most V-twin riders since 95% of them have never had the thrilling experience of using the sides of their tires OR their FRONT brake!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Those would add a new dimension to lane-splitting!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Good thing to remember: if you lock-up the front tire, release the brake! Yeah, I know, "The LT has ABS" but how many have ABS problems on the site?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the point...

motorman587 said:
Do they have a video with ABS. If you show this someone, ie your sponse on ABS they have no clue. So if you had another video that shows straight line braking and go, this is what happens with ABS.
Uh, I wasn't really trying to show off the ABS as much as I was trying to illustrate the pucker factor of losing all control in a full lockup and trusting that the outrigger that some engineer designed is going to keep you from high-siding. For the LTers on this forum, ABS is just a given, and therefore a little ho-hum. Of course it's not for the H-D crowd, however.

BUT... I did get some video of the stops with ABS. Here's a link to an extended with/without video. I also added another "without" clip that's even more out of control than the first one.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Okay, I gotta say, the outriggers are plain stupid. If you need those, you need to be DRIVING A CAR!!! Yes the pucker factor is pretty hihg in that situation, but the rider is also giving some body english to stay on there. If you do as the rider did and don;t know what's coming, chances are an untrained rider will pop off the high side regardless, imo. And what kinda liability issue are those things anyway?

Geez at some of the stuff people create to try to mnake up for a lack of skill.

I go out on the range regularly and practice the braking skills and swerving and so on. Just to stay good with it. Proper technique would go much further, than relying on some device, be it outriggers, loud pipes, etc.

thanks for the video.
Randy

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Do those come with attachments so I could plow my garden?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rando said:
Okay, I gotta say, the outriggers are plain stupid. If you need those, you need to be DRIVING A CAR!!! Yes the pucker factor is pretty hihg in that situation, but the rider is also giving some body english to stay on there. If you do as the rider did and don;t know what's coming, chances are an untrained rider will pop off the high side regardless, imo. And what kinda liability issue are those things anyway?
Maybe I'm just assuming everyone understood that this was an engineering/marketing demo designed to make non-ABS look bad and ABS look good. As the dealer's show video that Dean posted shows, they do also demonstrate the ABS system on a VROD without the outriggers, and I'm sure there's a demo rider out there that could probably brake hard through 30 feet of pea gravel on asphalt without ABS and not lose it. But it's a lot more sensational when you have the guy skidding sideways when he doesn't have ABS turned on, so obviously they're going to put the outriggers on and tell the rider to let things get completely out of control. I'd love to see someone slide sideways on pavement and come to an upright stop on any heavyweight motorcycle without "needing outriggers".

My point of the original post, besides offering what I thought was an obvious joke about how to avoid dropping the LT, was also to show some of the extremes that a test rider has to go through in order to give marketing something to create favorable product image.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you need these things, Why own a motorcycle in the first place?

Buy a Honda Shadow if you cannot ride or drop the bike all the time.

I have a K1200GT and would rather drop it than take a corner and have this dumb-ass thing knock me of the bike. The day I need one of these is the day I can not longer ride a motorcycle.

Great product to email to friends and make fun of. Thanks for the laughs!!!! :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh come on...

Geez guys! Didn't anybody notice the outriggers are for the ABS testing stunt.
Schweintechnik even says that in his last post.
He was joking about the falling over part.

Cool videos Schweintechnik. Thanks for sharing. :rotf:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts