BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a used ABS unit for my 2002 K1200LT. How hard is it to do the swap. I am a fairly good mechanic. I have done quite a bit of work on this bike. ABS unit looks pretty hard to get at. What about problems with computer codes. would this be pretty much plug and play. I have concerns on how to bleed system. Thanks for any help. Scott

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
It is pretty straight forward to swap out the units as there are clips and o-rings for the line fittings. Bleeding is not that difficult to do with the right guidance and understanding of how the system works. Plenty of help here if you get stuck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
The hardest part of the bleed is the two rubber hoses that go to the rear reservoir from the ABS unit. Very hard to fill them FROM the reservoir. Better to PUSH fluid from one front caliper and then rear caliper until you see fluid in the reservoir. This reservoir has two chambers one for the rear wheel and control circuit (front half) and one for just the front wheel circuit (the back half). The control circuits run fluid from each respective master cylinder to just the ABS unit where you pull the air/fluid out of the bleed ports. These need to be done in a specific order and it does not hurt to do it twice. See the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts