BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to get a new 2005 swing arm. Would it be wise to put a used one on if I can find one ? The dealer has to order one from Germany none are available from their USA sources.

Thanks !
Willie

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Is there is difference in sing arm pre and post 2005?

If there is no difference, I may be able to get you one for my fuel cost to go get it and actual shipping. I have a buddy who has a decent cache of LT parts in his barn that he lets me pick over from time to time, but he is almost 100 miles from here. I would hate to drive out there at 14-15 mpg only to find out there is a difference and you cannot use it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but my dealership is looking at a used one off of a 2009 LT and I will order it if the part numbers match the 2005LT.

Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If that does not work out, please do not hesitate to let me know. I would expect your total delivered cost to be under $50 or so if my friend has one laying around.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer got me an 09 LT swing arm on EBAY !!

The dealer here in State College, PA bought the 09 swingarm and it is on the way from Kal-e-forn-ya, thanks guys !!! ! Hopefully it will be here so I can be back on the road next week.
I know I will wake up and this will all have been a bad dream and my LT will be sitting in my garage all shiney and ready to roll in the morning. ;)

Willie

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bfree said:
HI Willie,
I may have missed it, but why are you replacing the swingarm? What is the damage?

Brian
I have some stripped holes where the pivot pins go

·
Registered
158 Posts
Willie,
Just went through the same issue here. Had the swingarm thread replaced with a threaded sleave ( cannot remember tech term) which was then tapped to the right thread. Cost to fit sleave was Aus$200.
We do not have the variety of ebay items available so option was Aus$700 plus, with a couple of weeks waiting for shipping from Germany.
So I would not throw it away as someone with the skills may be able to repair it for a spare on on sell.
Brian.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
bfree said:
Willie,
Just went through the same issue here. Had the swingarm thread replaced with a threaded sleave ( cannot remember tech term) which was then tapped to the right thread. Cost to fit sleave was Aus$200.
Brian.
Brian they are called Helicoils.. See here

BTW Wille glad you were able to get that swing arm.!! Better times are around the corner. :wave

·
Registered
158 Posts
John,
Sorry to correct you in this instance. It was not a helecoil as the general consensus was that they would would not be strong enough. It was a threaded sleeve that was fitted to the bored out hole, then the correct tread was cut into the sleeve.

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts