BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to make one of those stand on the rear brake and give everything on the front brake moments. This was on the expressway cruising at around 75 or 80 mph. A fellow came off the ramp and hit his brakes in front of me. I missed him by a few inches but here's the real scarey part, when I let off the brakes the front end started shaking violently. Lucky I'm a big guy and have over 40 years of experience on motorcycles. The front end shook so bad it almost took the handle bars our of my hands. So if anybody has any ideas why this happened or suggestion to fix this problem let me know.

Kurt
and Wheezie my 99lt

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
First I would put her on the center stand and check the tires for lateral and vertical runout. If they look ok then maybe what happened was that you let off the brakes at just the right speed to induce the famous front end wobble. Any motorcycle will wobble the front end and do a tank slapper if the conditions are just right. By any chance were you at about 40 mph when you released the brakes and do you think the ABS was functioning when this happened?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wonder if your brakes were worn down a lot, when you jammed them on full, you may have caused a piston to stick, which may have caused it to drag on one side enough to cause the front end to shake....Just a WAG.. :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts