BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some riding gear. I have recently lost about 140lbs (woo hoo) and have shrunk out of my gear. I currently wear a BMW tourguard? jacket size 64 which I can live with for now with all the straps cinched, my pants are a different story, I just had some glorified rain gear pants with no crash protection and i swim in them now. I have been looking at the tour master line because I don't have a large budget to do this with at the moment. I ride in Iowa nad would like some suggestions that are a little more suited to colder weather with some provisions for dealing with the hot days if possible. I do eventually plan on getting a set of mesh gear, but i also have 3 kids so plans like that have a way of being put on indefinate hold. I want to spend wisely and start with pants, then some boots and finally a jacket down the road. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss. That is some accomplishment. I like first gear stuff. Kilimanjaro jackets are great. What size jacket and pants do you wear now?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a pair of Fieldsheer summer mesh pants that have a removable insulated liner. In the winter, I have been warm enough with these pants on the LT down around 30F. Keep in mind that's as cold as it gets down here by the Gulf of Mex so that may not be enough for Iowa fall/winter/spring.

In the summer, with the liner out I've been out in 100F+ and survived. And that's *not* a dry heat.

I got them on sale from motorcyclecloseouts.com. methinks about $100.
Full side zips and velcro tabs to adjust the waist. knee and hip armor included. no rear pockets, but zippered front pockets to hold stuff securely. The only thing I have found to complain about them is the zippers can snag the material so some care is need when running those up and down.

Something else to look at are the "convertible" pants that have panels that unzip to reveal high-airflow mesh panels. Joe Rocket Alter Ego is one example. I think TM/Cortech have similar.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Congrats on the wt. loss. 140 lbs. is 22 lbs. more then what I weighed when I returned from Viet Nam good job.

My SO and fellow LT riders in the area really speak well of Olympia products. I have the mesh jacket for summer riding, and plan to replace my cow skin stuff in the near future. You might also want to take a look at RevIt.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Frank Thomas line at Cycle Gear is pretty good stuff. I used it as my cold weather gear up to Alaska and then had a set of mesh FirstGear stuff for the hot days. The Frank Thomas is good value for the money IMHO

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
+1 on Olympia gear. I have the mesh coat/pants with liners and good down to 25 or so. At about 30* I put on a fleece jacket under the liner and I haven't ridden in weather cold enough to make me uncomfortable. My legs don't seem to get cold wearing just the mesh and liner as they are well protected by all that beautiful tupperware.

You might also try Jafrum.com or LeatherUp.com. They have very inexpensive gear that is not fancy but will provide protection in the event of an unplanned event. I have purchased from both and had good results.

Give 'em a look.

Loren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts